I Need Your Help - Please Respond

Discussion in 'Violators and Violations (Possible Ones)' started by Destee, Mar 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Everyone,

If you don't know, one of our members, KRYizar, has been banned from this board. Banned because "I" think his poetry has been too offensive. KRY and I have gone back and forth about this, the bottomline being that it's him and he's not going to promise to change for me.

I wanna be fair. This community is not just about Destee and what she feels. It's about all of us. KRY says that when he posts this same type of poetry in other places, people consider it funny and not offensive.

Funny or offensive, it is KRY's flow. So I'm leaving it up to you all.

If you say let KRY post here then I'll let him back.

If you say he should not be allowed to post, then I won't.

KRY is aware of this request and we both are waiting for your vote.
    Majority Rules.

Thanks,

Destee and KRY

This thread will be closed on Monday, 03/05/01 @ 6 pm ET

2. Watcher

Watcher Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Well I've read some of his stuff...Didn't seem funny, but if that's his flow that's his flow. Although in some circles he is able to express himself in this manner, some boards do have their own set of rules that we must adhere to. He could have toned it down...Now I know I get a little raw at times, but everything can't go on the page, at least not everything in my mind ;) It's up to the discretion of the Mistress of the Page. I think you were fair, you gave him ample warning, yet he blatently refused to adhere to your rules that you set up. If this was a job he'd be fired. We all signed up according to the rules you set in motion. But hey who am I?

Watcher

3. henryx40

henryx40 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Has KRY violated your personal rules or the boards standing rules? I feel that he as well as the rest of us should be given a chance to express ourselves. If for any reason any of us violate the board rules then you should do as you must and we should expect your ruling. Personally, I don't make it a habit to keep reading the works of artist who don't appeal to me.

Ms. Destee, if you feel that he is bothering you, then ignore him if you can. If others are complaining about his work to you then censure him if you must, but I say that goes to all of us not just to KRY. I think we all need to read the board rules again to make sure we stay in good standings with the entire community.

That's just my opinion.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Destee Discussion Forum Rules

Everyone agrees to the following prior to Membership:

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page. Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13. If you are 13 or under, please use this registration form.

Although the administrators and moderators of Destee Discussion Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Destee Discussion Forum or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Destee Discussion Forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

End of Rules

While I know I have the right to remove, edit, etc., ... we are a Community and your opinion counts. Again, the majority will rule.

I know too that trying to censor a poet's flow is almost a sin in and of itself, so I'm sorta kinda betwixt and between here. Looking for you all to help me.

Thanks,

Destee

5. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a problem with Kry because of his lack of respect for you Des, that hurts me because you're sweet as pie.
    I think most of his posts are more offensive than funny.I know we talk about a wide range of things in here.
    I don' hate Kry, but I feel like he's trying to gain attention,or mabey this is a Kry for help.I think we all
    agre that something has to be done.You must have respect Destee, and should not have to constantly ask a grown person to behave.I support whatever decision You make.

6. leggs623

leggs623 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't find his words offensive personally. I feel that is just his flow... However if KRY chooses not to compromise in order to adhere to the rules of the board then HE has determined his own fate.

I've read some pretty explicit, obscene,& downright NASTEE stuff here from other members also, so ere'body need to check it.

KRY~ would hate to see you go, think you can subdue that Eminem-ish persona and let us enjoy you awhile longer?

7. CHEEK41

CHEEK41 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I need your help

We have all agreed to the rules. We agreee, for the most part, to follow "the Man's" rules, so why should that not apply to this forum. Maybe we have become desensitized to the words that have been written, but Destee gave him several chances and warnings to cease. I say be gone with him. Anyone who would disrespect Destee......

8. SugaTray

SugaTray Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Destee,

I wasn't in the room the day Kry was up to his antics, but I was present when he came to this forum and was very disrespectful to you and all of afronet. When he apologized I thought he had decided to leave the negative behind but his next poem's title showed that he was not sincere in his apology. I am glad that we have a place to come and express ourselves but as adults we should all be mature enough to do the right thing. Respect is very important to most people and I dont think any of us have done anything to lose the respect of our afronet peers. Most of us behave as an extended family here in afronet. I say all that to say that KRY does his own thang which is cool but if he can't abide by the house rules then he should not be allowed in. I really believe it bothers to have to ban anyone and that this is one of those situations that require drastic measures.

Keep up the good work Sistah and keep representing for all.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Adding my 2 cents

Destee, everyone who visits this board can choose to either read or ignore anyone's posts for whatever reason. Whether someone is familiar with Kry's style or is new to it, we each can decide whether or not to entertain his antics by overlooking his poetry or placing him on "ignore" in the chat room. But in this situation involving Kry, it's more than that.

What makes this such a sensitive issue is because people who are fond of you Destee find it extremely offensive when Kry attacks and slanders you the way he has done so often in the past. That is why there's such an outpouring of frustration over this issue. If he refuses to agree to stop doing that but wants his privileges restored, then how do you feel about it?

Sure Kry has broken the rules, but so have others that post here. And if you hold Kry to a standard by expecting him to adhere to the rules, then that standard should apply to everyone else as well. But the issue for me is more than that--it's about respect. I'm no attorney but aren't his personal attacks toward you considered slanderous? I don't find that humorous nor should it fall under the protection of free speech.

I strongly believe that a person should have the right to express their opinions without being censored. But I do not support people who constantly seek attention by being offensive, disrespectful and vicious. If he's allowed to get away with such behavior then what message would that send to the rest of the community and who will be the next person subjected to this type of venom?

Destee, I appreciate you giving members of this community an opportunity to express their views on this issue, however, I believe that the ultimate decision is yours to make. If you feel that anyone has behaved in an unacceptable way, then do what you must to maintain "order" at this website. Those of us who support you will stay. Being here is a privilege for us and not a right.

I hope my comments help.

MHO

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your responses. I thank those too that read but did not respond, as I consider it a response as well. It seems the majority agrees that it is my decision to make.

This was the first time that I've ever had to ban anyone from doing anything. Working in online communities for years, I've had the power but never had to use it. Now, here in my own community, I'm having to do something I've never done before. Something very unpleasant. Thank you all for your help.

The thing that makes this situation so unpleasant for me, is that KRY really is a sweet young man. I've had the pleasure of chatting, emailing, communicating with him privately all of this year. When not in front of everyone, KRY is as sweet as pie. Very respectful, considerate, kind, caring ... a fine young man. It is only when he's in front of folk that he carries on so terribly. I don't understand it, but everything is not meant for me to understand. I am grateful for the kindness he has shown me. I am grateful and I count it, 'cause I count all things.

I'm closing this thread early because I think it's time. KRY has very bravely put himself in the position of receiving publicly, the complaints of others, regarding his behavior. I'd imagine this was no easy thing to do, considering he could have left instead.

Having said that, I'm going to allow KRY to post here again. As of right now his privileges have been restored.

KRY, I will not warn you about your behavior again. I know you know what is acceptable. If I see a post that offends me, I'm going to remove it and ban you ... with no fanfare.

Again, thank you all for the love and support.

Destee

This thread is now closed. No more posts can be added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.