I Need These Forum Problems addressed By a Staff or Admin

Discussion in 'Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions' started by river, May 17, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I posted these problems before and received no reply. So I'ma try it again.

1. When I post a message the smilies and formatting options are no longer available to me. I can use smilies if I remembber and type in the code but the panel where the smilies used to be is empty.

2. The last two reputations given to me are not accounted for on my user cp so I don't know who gave them to me

3. My private message isn't working. It goes through the motions of sending my private message even asking if I want the person to send a receipt but no message is actually sent. And I don't know if anyone has tried to send me one.

4. My instant notification isn't instant. It doesn't notify me of new replies until much later sometimes hours later and it sometimes notifies me when there has been no reply.

This is frustrating. When I became a premium member I thought it would help me to get more involved in the forums but so far it has gotten me nothing at all.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    FWIW - i had similar problems a while back.
    they lingered for some time and then one day they were gone.
    it may take a while.

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That might be worth something. I guess I'll have to wait and see. And learn the smilie codes by heart :lol: Not hard to do since I like languages.

Guess I don't have to worry about the reputations. Ya'll love Da River. Right? Right? Hello--Family? Geesh

4. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The Cavalry

Sister River please provide the follow information.

1. What kind of computer do you have?

2. When did your problem occur?

3. What operating system are you using? (Window 95,98,2000,ME,XP, Mac)

4. What kind of connection do you have? (Dial up, Broadband, DSL, Cable)

5. Do you have internet security? (Virus protect, Firewall, Spam blocker, spyware remover)

6. Are you using a peer to peer program? (Kazaa, Limewire, Morpheus, etc)

7. When was the last time you performed systems maintenance on your computer?(Virus Scan, Defragmenting, Disk Clean Up)

I will try to help you sister determine the source of your ploblem but let's answer these questions.

Peace.....

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Thanks RF. Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.

6. Radical Faith

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Sister give me a minute to answer your responses. Just a few more questions.

1. Is your MicroSoft Update Notification actived and have you been downloading your updates?

2. Are you having problems with any other websites?

It would be better if you went into voice chat or the chat room so I could walk you through some things that may make you computer run better. As you see I work night and I'm at work now. I'll check for you response to set up a time. Also you may need to decrease you security. To go into the chat rooms..

Holla back back at a brother....

Peace..

7. Radical Faith

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    1. What kind of computer do you have?
    Emachines

2. When did your problem occur?
    After I switched to premium that's when I noticed the smilies weren't there though before that I couldn't tell about the email notification because I couldn't change to my correct email address until after I became a premium.

3. What operating system are you using? (Window 95,98,2000,ME,XP, Mac)
    Windows xp home edition

4. What kind of connection do you have? (Dial up, Broadband, DSL, Cable)
    Cable

5. Do you have internet security? (Virus protect, Firewall, Spam blocker, spyware remover)
    No Just the high security settings that come with Internet Explorer

6. Are you using a peer to peer program? (Kazaa, Limewire, Morpheus, etc)
    No. Several months ago I uninstalled WinMx when my cousin told me that it was against the law.

7. When was the last time you performed systems maintenance on your computer?(Virus Scan, Defragmenting, Disk Clean Up)
    Couldn't tell you.

Already since you have a XP capable computer let me make the following recommendations.

1. Since you have a Cable connection check your ISP(Time Warner, Earthlink, AOL Broadband, Cox, etc) for free virus protection and other internet security features. You should be able to download this for free. (NOTE: DO NOT RUN A VIRUS SCAN YET)

2. Go into your start menu (START BUTTON), go to PROGRAMS, then to ACCESSORIES, then to SYSTEM TOOLS then to CLEAN UP DISK and run that program. This will clean up your Cookie Folder, Temp Download, Temp Internet File, Recyle Bin, Old Compressed Files and Program. This will take a while but your computer will run better.

3. Run a virus scan. If you have a virus follow the instructions. (DO NOT BUY ANYTHING)

4. Go into your START MENU and go into Setting then Control Panel, then look on the left side on this window and you will see a globe with a microsoft flag labeled UPDATES, click it. It will take you on line to the MicroSoft Updates Website. For now download only the critical updates.

5. If you haven't already decrease your internet security options to medium.

6. You may have been getting pop-ups through your instant messenger. Go to your START MENU again and you will see a four colored circle called Program Access and Defaults, click it. If you don't see it go into Control Panel again and go to add remove program. You'll see it in there. When you go into it you'll see a section with four options. You will see Computer Manufacter, MicroSoft Windows, Non-Microsoft Windows and Customer. Go into Custom and you will be able to choose your default for you instant messaging.

This is just a start. This may solve you problem and it may not but you probably will see a noticeable difference in how your computer runs.

Tell me how it does....

Peace....

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister River ... i was aware of this thread and the other one, and it was my full intention to respond, and try to help resolve this issue. I even told another Member that i was headed this way, but something or someone stopped me before i got here ... and well ... gosh ... there are so many of yall and so few of me! :)

Thank you Brother Radical Faith for going to great lengths to get to the bottom of her problem. I'm impressed! :)

Sister River ... Brother Radical Faith is asking you all of these questions because every user's experience could be different, depending on the answers to those questions.

You say that the problem started when you became a Premium Member ... yet we have many Premium Members that aren't experiencing the same ... so it gives one to believe that the problem is more local to you, your machine, your settings, your connections, etc. It's more difficult to troubleshoot this kind of problem, than one that is on this side of the server, because we don't have access to your side of the equation.

Nonetheless ... it is a problem and i'd like for us to be able to solve it.

You aren't the only person who has experienced it. As Brother James mentioned, he had the same at one point, and i know another Member that is also. When Brother James saw this, it eventually just went away ... oh gosh ... i wish i could say we had a whole team of tech support people, to track down every problem, resolve it, and present the solution to you in lightning speed ... but we aint got that Sister ... so those problems that just go away ... man ... i love them! :)

Hmmmm Sister River ... in an effort to test your theory ... that it is a Premium Member issue and not a Registered Member issue ... i'm going to suggest that we revert your status back to Registered ... just to test ... then you post here, letting me know if the problem exists under that status ... and then i'll put you back to Premium Member status.

This will give me to know that it may be in the usergroup functionality, in spite of the fact that the whole group isn't experiencing it.

Okay ... that's #1 above.

#2 ... while that reputation feature / functionality is there, i've not spent lots of time trying to see how it fits into the great scheme of things. I do know that it's nice when someone says something nice about your post, etc. In our reputation feature, you can only give good rep, no bad. Below is a brief description of how the reputation feature can work:

As you can see, we just use ours to give love to other Members. There are no status changes within usergroups, we aren't using it for any promotions. Just another way to give some love. I'll test it out, give you some, and we'll see how long it takes to show up, or if it shows up at all.

#3 ... i'm not aware of a problem with our private messaging feature ... i'll send you one, and you send me one back ... and take it from there ... k ?

#4 ... in regard to instant notification ... subscribing to a thread does not give email notices on every post - only the first new post in a subscribed thread, since your last visit ... i believe.

Sister River ... i'm sorry that you've had such frustration since becoming a Premium Member ... please trust, that those two things are not linked together! Matter of fact, Premium Member or not, we want your stay here to be a pleasant one.

Having said all of that ... (i talk way too much i think) ... look forward to the following:

1. i'm gonna give you some rep, let me know if you see it.

2. i'm gonna send you a PM, please respond back to it

3. let me know when i can revert your status back to Registered Member, so you can test the smiley's and formatting options.

Last but not least ... Brother Radical Faith ... Thank You Thank You Thank You!

:heart:

Destee

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Sista Destee,

By no means was I theorizing or even suggesting that my problems were due to becoming a premium member. I was just answering Radical Faith (bless his heart) question. Since I could not pinpoint an exact date and time I had to use the most outstanding event preceeding when I noticed these problems. Please forgive me if I left you with that impression.

As you may have seen by now the problem with the private messages and the reputations did go away so no do not revert me to regular membership. It feels good to be a premiium.

I'm sure the problem with the smilies will work itself out too. Meanwhile I can use the codes that I remember:lol:

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister River ... yes, i did get your PM ... whew and Yaaaay! :)

I'm glad you got the reputation i sent, very good.

In regard to the formatting issue ... i really need to look into this, as there is another Member currently experiencing the same. To both of you, all of you, please don't think i'm just ignoring your concerns. You'd be surprised at the amount of time needed to manage and grow this community ... whew! If it aint one thing, it's another. I really want to speak personally to every issue that presents itself, in a timely manner, but time is limited. I'm gonna look more deeply into this though, i promise.

In the meantime ... Sister River ... can you see the smilie's on this page?

If so, you can go there to get the different codes for them.

Let me know ... love you!

:heart:

Destee