Black People : i miss the deltas

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Aug 6, 2006.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    not being into the greek thing at all i had never heard of the deltas until 15 thousand of them showed up for their convention last week.

i live three blocks up from the convention center so i walk by there most days.
    the women were so nice and friendly to me. there were smiling sisters every where. i loved that.
    i took to hanging out down by the center just to be around them.
    these sisters all had education and jobs and credit cards.
    they did not show any bad attitude that cats say high level black women show. they were friendly and positive.

this group of black women were organized and handled their business with authority.

i am proud of them.

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I agree brother James there are some tremendous sisters that are also Deltas.

They are organized and efficient, but also practical and grounded. Many of them (the ones I know of ) do a lot in the community they just don't try to make headlines with it.

3. NapturallyYours

NapturallyYours Well-Known Member MEMBER

AMC Fellows
    Ratings:
    +4
    As a member of Delta Sigma Theta, I just want to say I appreciate your comments. I wasn't able to attend convention this year because of final exams for my Master's Degree. I'll this message along to my sorors, though! Thanks again!

April

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i want to reiterate that these women put out a very positive vibe and were friendly and intelligent.
    i repeat this because of the posters who keep saying that black women with some stature are stuck up.
    i found this not to be true at all.

as a local resident, i get to experience all the groups that come to philly. not all the black groups are friendly.
    i hope these sisters come back again!
    they are welcome.

5. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    First there was alpha and omega..
    you should see us aKa's in action then james..
    would you like me to look up some locals for you?
    it feels good to be around good wholesome ppl right..
    but yes..
    the deltas are a lively down to earth bunch of sisters.
    My mother is one..
    (to my dismay :) )

Imma start hangin out at that convention center as soon as i spy on the deltas site to see which one it was..
    ill keep my eye open for ya ! :)
    Imma hit the old troll up with the bear hug!

6. ct

ct Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the Shout Out

James thanks for giving the excellent and heart-felt shout out for Delta Sigma Theta. We are this way universal. I too am a Delta and was unable to go to National, but I feel your words.

Community Service is one of the many attributes of Delta Sigma Theta. That is why I am so committed to giving back to the betterment of the community.

I receive your words of compliments......may you have a bless day......you have made mines....

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    [​IMG]

On behalf of all my Sorors, I say, "THANK YOU!," Brother James.

Those same qualities and traits you saw and experienced is what made me want to join this organization. As a child and teenager, I observed and was mentored and influenced by Black women like you met....The display of intelligence, maturity, community outreach and professionalism of those Black women inspired me; and their commitment to scholarship for young Black girls through the "Jabberwock" event and other community service gained my respect, admiration and a desire to do the same.

However, it may be a while before the National Convention returns to Philly.

Now, at some time, there may be a "Regional Conference" held in Philly which is in the "Eastern Region." In 2009, they had it in Baltimore.

But, if you wanna see them sooner, you'll have to do some traveling....

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc
    July 29 - August 4, 2010
    50th National Convention
    New Orleans, LA

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

:em2300:

I loved all of you when you came to Detroit not too long ago

9. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I would dare say if you hung out with ANY BGLO you would find the people considerate. It's not just property to one organization.

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The History of Jabberwock

In an interpretation of the immortal classic "Alice in Wonderland," Lewis Carroll created the delightful character known as "Jabberwock" who summoned all of the creatures in the kingdom to perform a gala event. Being mindful of this concept, Delta member Marian G. Conover Hope of Iota Chapter (Boston, Massachusetts) creatively recalled this mystical character, but in a dramatically different manner, when faced with the challenge of devising plans for a fundraising project. Conceptualized in 1925 as a musical variety show that consisted of skits and dances, the Jabberwock has since evolved into a more diverse program that continues to raise funds for scholarships and other Delta sponsored public service projects.

The word Jabberwock, copyrighted by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., has evolved in its symbolism over the past eighty years. It now represents an evening of elegance and entertainment that showcases the gifts and talents of the young women participating in the program while advancing the goals and objectives of Delta's scholarship program.

The Delta Jabberwock spans over a period of six months featuring a plethora of cultural, educational, and social opportunities for the teen-ager participants comparable to a rites of passage experience, culminating in an evening of absolute sophisticated elegance. These activities are designed to minimize the challenges encountered with the transition from high school to young adulthood, while promoting harmonious relationships among the participants and their families, friends and the community-at-large. The ultimate goal rests with assisting young women of color in becoming productive contributing future leaders in their communities and beyond.

The program is a two-tiered one that includes the younger girls ages 8 to 12 in the Little Miss Jabberwock component, providing them with similar opportunities for cultural, educational and social nurturing and growth. Collectively, the Jabberwock Program represents a comprehensive approach designed to instill inspiration and aspiration with no goals being beyond reach when consistently passionate dedication and persistence remain in the forefront. ...

http://www.pgcacdst.org/programs/dsp/dspEachProgramDetail.cfm?contentID=73