Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : I make my own shampoo and oil spritz refreshers for my loccs

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Fieldpea, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    This month, I made up a batch of shampoo using an empty Glaceau Smart Water bottle (33.8 oz), into which I then used the following items:

Soap base - Dr. Bronner's 18-in1 Hemp Almond Pure-Castile Soap is my shampoo base (Certified Fair Trade product). This is a liquid soap product that's very rich in lipids (natural oils) due to the hemp and almond oil. It comes in a 1 quart bottle. It's undiluted fragrance is identical to Jergen's Lotion. It is a very gentle soap. When it is diluted with water, however--if used as a shampoo without additives--then it's fragrance degrades, sometimes into a sour-ish scent after rinsing. For this reason, I add the following to this great soap's basic formula:

Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap, 2 tsp. (This is a highly concentrated liquid soap base.)
    Distilled water, 30 oz.
    Tea Tree Oil (essential), 20 drops
    Aloe Vera Gel, 2 oz
    Jojoba Oil (carrier), 3 tsp.
    Avocado Oil (carrier), 2 tsp.
    Olive Oil (carrier), 2 tsp.
    Jasmine Oil (essential), 15 drops
    Lavender Oil (essential), 10 drops
    OPIUM Parfum 16 sprays (OK to use a different fragrance, or no additional fragrance.)

Anytime I shampoo my loccs, I simply wet my hair under the shower, and then shake the bottle to blend the added oils into the shampoo/water base (the added oils tend to float at the top of the bottle). With my hair soaking wet, I pour around a half cup of shampoo onto the crown of my head, allowing my shampoo to soak downward along each locc, and then I begin to shampoo my hair (massage suds all around my scalp, and then squeeze suds into the ropes of loccs, working my way down to the ends. If I pour right, then a half cup is pretty much enough for my loccs (given their length). If I don't have enough suds coverage, then I fall back on a small spritz bottle of shampoo. I shake and spray suds directly on my individual loccs and then again I squeeze the suds into the remaining unsudsy areas to the ends. OK to shampoo again.

NOTE: Though normally, I don't use so many different essential oils in a formula, because of the amount of water that I use in making shampoo, I think there is no real medicinal risk--I count of it being adequately diluted.

For spritz refreshers, however, I won't dare do the same (use alot of drops of 'different' essential oils). For spritz refreshers, I know to be mindful of each oil's potential effects on the body when too much is absorbed through the skin.

To make sure I don't overdue it, I turn to the site, http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com for detailed info, re: uses/effects of specific essential oils.

To access this detailed info, go to the site, click on the Skin Care Ingredients tab, then select the appropriate specific oil link. Within that specific oil link, there is valuable information regarding oil characteristics (smell, texture, medicinal value, taste, proper storage, etc.), plus recommended usage/drops is available for ALL oils on that site.

SPRITZES:
    Use a spritz bottle, (small or medium sized), distilled water, 1 to 2 carrier oils (1-2 tsps each, with number of tsps dependent on the bottle size), and perfume for fragrance, or nothing). Shake and spritz onto your hair/loccs. I use my spritz bottles to refresh my loccs between shampoo washings. I do this to lightly moisturize/oil my scalp and hair. Once I've finished using my spritz bottle, my loccs respond as if *refreshed*.

VERY IMPORTANT: With using ANY essential oils, *because they are so concentrated*, (and have medicinal effects), don't use a homemade spritz/refresher formula for longer than 2 weeks! Make up more than one formula so that after 2 weeks, you can begin to use the next, different formula. EXAMPLE: I'm using a spritz formula that has olive oil, jojoba oil, JASMINE essential, Opium parfum, and distilled water. I'll use the JASMINE REFRESHER for 2 weeks. Next, I intend to use a LAVENDER OIL REFRESHER for no longer than 2 weeks. WHY? The body *builds up* essentials over time, and 2 weeks is the recommended length of time to safely use water diluted essential oils.

VERY IMPORTANT: LABEL the ingredients in your bottles!!! Easy to tape your label onto your bottles. Include how many tsps, drops, sprays, oz., etc. on your label--don't just list all of the ingredients, but no corresponding measurement info! If you make up something that you really like, then it becomes easy to make it again and just the way you like it.

I know this is alot of info, but I've found that I can put together these formulas in well under 5 minutes (spritz refreshers), and under 10 minutes for my shampoo. It's really fun and satisfying to learn how to take charge of the care of napptural hair in this way.
    Individual, personal and caring. Empowering. Even scientific.

Nowadays, it IS about the SCIENCE of napptural haircare using pure botanicals. Of course, this way of caring for napptural hair is GREAT for the scalp and skin of the body.

One Love, and PEACE

2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

I admire you. I saw a young girl yesterday with locks...She is one beautiful black woman, and her hair looked so healthy. I am sure she must really take good care of her hair. Must post a picture so we all can see them.:lol:

3. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    HOME MADE HAIR RINSES:

http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/02/conditioning-herbal-vinegar-hair-rinse/

What I like the most about making my own haircare products is the knowledge that given time, doing this myself nearly always produces good and reliable results. Like making my own hair rinses. It's so easy to do, it's inexpensive over the long haul, and doing stuff like this is great for the scalp and hair--if not immediately, then usually over time (and not much of a time investment, at that).

I first learned about home made hair care products in 1996, and quite by accident. There was this Muslim Sister who had outrageously beautiful loccs that were a good 6 ft long, maybe an average of 3-4 inches in circumference, matte velvet off-black in color (not shiny). To look at (in hindsight), this Sister's rope reminds me of how Erykah Badu's loccs looked before she cut hers. This Sis's name was Hilal, and I happened to work with her.

At the time, I overheard Hilal telling another Sister-co-worker how to heal and stimulate her scalp and hair for growth. It was real obvious that this Sister had sustained alot of damage from relaxers (her hairline had retreated badly; plus, she suffered overall from extreme breakage from brittle, damaged hair). As it happened, I was sporting a TWA (teeny-weenie afro), and for the time, I really liked my twa and, so...but with no intention of taking Hilal's advice in growing my hair out, I still never forgot what she said to do--how to make home made botanical rinses.

I joined the conversation, and Hilal basically described what she'd been doing for years for her own fierce ropes. Hilal steeped teas and stored her teas in empty gallon milk jugs. She shopped for her herbs and plant-products in Mexican yerberias.

SUGGESTION: At the time (1996), Hilal stored (and sold, too) her herbal/plant rinses by the gallon, and in empty gallon milk jugs. Since 1996, it's now known that home made haircare products are stored more safely in *glass* containers. If you decide to make your own products, try to avoid plastic storage containers (not always possible, but if necessary, at least try to transition your stored home made product from plastic to glass containers).

SUGGESTION: At the time, Hilal purchased her dried herbs/plant products (in the large bags) from yerberias, and today that's still an option; but of course, nowadays it's possible to purchase the same products online. I like Mountain Rose Herbs (mountainroseherbs.com), and in the next month or two, I might order herb/plant products from D'jehuty Ma'at Ra's DHealth Store (dhealthstore.com). If you aren't willing to start with bulk dried products, grocery stores usually sell small and large bags of dried herbs in the spice/condiments section.

SUGGESTION: ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar): Probably the best acv to work with is Bragg's Organic Raw-Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (Certified Organic, Unpasturized, Gluten Free). Yet again (for starters) it's OK to use acv that you may well have onhand in your kitchen right now (that isn't organic), but ultimately your purchasing goal should always be access to, and use of organic products.

SUGGESTION: At the outset of this post, I provided a link to Frugally Sustainable. I chose this site because it offered an acv rinse recipe that uses *fresh* herbs and EO's (essential oils)--a recipe I intend to try--but with dried herbs. However, it is absolutely OK to use *only* acv and water to great and healthy effect right away, as well as long term.

ADVICE: Anytime you make your own napptural haircare products, and you decide to work with published recipes, pay attention to measurements (drops, sprays, oz, tsp, etc.). Practically speaking, should you decide to make adjustments to a recipe that you've already tried before, then feel free to reduce/eliminate/add other ingredients--especially if you've done your homework regarding effects.

Very important: DO YOUR HOMEWORK about potential effects from over-exposure via scalp (skin), or body (skin), or even the palms of your hands (via the pores of the skin of the scalp, body, palms, etc.).

One MAJOR EXCEPTION, though, relates to EO's: Pay attention to what you're doing should you *increase* the number of drops of ANY type of EO in your recipes--especially if you don't plan on increasing your water dilution. Increases/overuse of EO's *could* cause effects that you don't want to worry about, as EO's are sometimes made from *non-edible* plant products. Safe to use, but ALWAYS in moderation (given the dilution factor), and for no longer than 2 weeks.

ADVICE: It's a good idea to dedicate a notebook to tracking what you've used for recipes involving EO's--including the date that you made your product (and not just measurements). Only takes a moment to record what you've done, and once you hit on recipes that you really appreciate, then you will find that you will systematically rely on *a select number* of recipes and formulations (once you've gained real experience).

One Love, and PEACE

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    interesting....minus some of those oils and perfume i might try this loc elixir....thanks for sharing

one love
    khasm

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Fieldpea

... Absolutely remarkable Fieldpea, keep up the good work. Okay now, its time to show us those locs, please post indiscriminately if camera shy, lol; but post up the locs, lol...

And, its time to think about marketing these products, if you haven't already... After-all, Madam C J Walker got it started and Fieldpea can put the finishing touches on it, for real... what say you?

Peace In,

6. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    Ah, @ Clyde Coger (and you, too @ dunwiddat)

First, no pics online from me, Brother Clyde. I don't post pics of myself online, ever. I don't mind telling my 'story', though--my journey to loccing, past and present--I'm even OK with providing a word descript of myself (what I look like, including what people have told me I look like, too); but, just as a matter of online policy/protection that I decided on from the first moment that I ever signed onto the net, I've held myself to that policy (even despite temptation, to)--like when Sister dunwiddat asked, and now since you've asked. But still, no pics of me.

(As an aside, this is why I've never participated actively in the most popular social media (like MySpace, Twitter and Facebook, too).

Just how I am when it's about the internet.

As for making and selling product? That's something I have kicked around in my head every now and then, but for now, all I've done is made very simple hand cremes for a few family members, and for a couple of my neighbors. I give to them for x-mas or when I notice that they 'might' be developing a problem with their skin.

I buy these really small plastic (yes, plastic), multi-colored, travel sized 'screw top' cosmetic jars (1 oz) sold at Walmart for 99 cents, or two for a dollar--sold in the miniature travel section--initially and primarily for my own use, but anyway... Using coconut oil as my carrier--I use 1-2 drops of essential oil blends (one each of patchouli, jasmine, lavender, or rose EO), plus I like to add a small dab of Bed and Bath Orange and Ginger hand/body lotion (great stuff), and I'll combine them right into one of these little screw top jars.

I liquify the coconut oil (bought from Walmart's cooking oil section), squeeze in a little bit of the orange/ginger lotion--it has a good, strong orange/ginger fragrance, and then I add 1 drop each from two of the EO's. Very simple process. Takes less that 5 minutes to make. As I continue to collect more EO's and carriers, I'll expand my blend options (except for the rose EO, which I will only make on request). I've found that even one drop of the rose EO is nearly impossible to blend without going wild with too many drops of any other EO (which is way too much EO in the end for such a small container). Still, I have a neighbor--this white lady--who LOVES rose EO by itself, so...I make her a hand creme without any other additives except for about a half tsp of Aloe Vera gel and coconut oil.

The recipes I presently make are actually modified recipes that I've found on Black napptural haircare sites, and more recently, including from ANY quality sites that teaches more more about the practical effects of carriers and eo's on napptural hair and skin of all people of color.

As I mentioned before, for now I've only been kicking around the idea of maybe a paying home business built around hair and skin care products done at home. My purpose, though, would be to *encourage/teach* a so-called customer how to do this kind of stuff themselves 'for themselves'.

One Love, and PEACE

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace to u sister

I will pass this along. I could have used this back in the day when I had my baby locs.....

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Gotcha Fieldpea, understood; makes a lot of sense as well. Let me be the first to encourage you to start that home-base business, it appears to be a niche for you; and you love it, I can tell. Take care my sister friend and much success. When it happens for you let us know, so that we can do word of mouth advertising... I know a few ladies:)

Peace In,

9. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

:)

I'll keep thinking it over.

One Love, and PEACE

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Don't think too long; there's an old saying: "you study long, you study wrong.";)

Peace In,