Support : I "Like" that the "Like" Button has been removed

Perfection

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 21, 2012
Let me be the first to state that I am appreciative of this particular function being removed. Its existence--not in this forum specifically-- but in general here and other venues has always reminded me of a way to be used in service of personal squabbles and covert agendas, as a divisive weapon against legitimate disagreements, as an indirect suppression of data and information and personal expression, as well as to enforce and maintain the Western-styled doctrine of "we" and "them" from which cliques emerge and thrive.

I believe with that particular function being abolished, as it relates to "who" is doing the "like", it allows for a more genuine and open dialogue on issues and it, the removal---more importantly, enables for more unity than it does division which should be the goal of all of us.

Let me be the first to state that I am appreciative of this particular function being removed. Its existence--not in this forum specifically-- but in general here and other venues has always reminded me of a way to be used in service of personal squabbles and covert agendas, as a divisive weapon against legitimate disagreements, as an indirect suppression of data and information and personal expression, as well as to enforce and maintain the Western-styled doctrine of "we" and "them" from which cliques emerge and thrive.

I believe with that particular function being abolished, as it relates to "who" is doing the "like", it allows for a more genuine and open dialogue on issues and it, the removal---more importantly, enables for more unity than it does division which should be the goal of all of us.

Actually.. I think you'll find that having a positive acknowledgement is superior.. with regard to keeping the peace.. than having both positive and negative acknowledgements. The old system only showed you when people agreed with you.. this one will collect and display all of the disagreement as well.. and that'll most likely lead to more drama.. #watch

uh oh ... the "like" feature has not been removed ... :eeek:

as Brother Skuder says ... it's been expanded ... and we've embarked upon a path we've never been before

Members can now leave "negative" critiques via the "like button area"

we're 17 years old and i've never let us leave "negative" critiques in this regard

i thot long and hard on it ... initially was going to go the way we always have ... no negative critiques

but that's just not realistic ... even with me wanting us all to only think positive ... everything is not positive

additionally ... negative critiques have their place, can play a positive role if it helps someone improve

allows them to see how others feel about their commentary ... in a big picture sort of way

one might adjust if they see that 29 others think their contribution looks like a violation (for example)

it also gives us a way to encourage self-moderation even more ... as we'll look more closely at comments where many in the family are feeling like a violation may have occurred.

the truth of the matter is ... even without these negative "like button" critiques ... folk here will let you know anyway ... if they disagree, don't like what you said, consider it false, inhospitable, disrespectful, etc.

this new system also brings to the forefront a few of our 13 rules ... kinda keeps them on the table if you will

they are very important and a way for the Family to weigh in on when they think a Member is close to the edge

now ... we ... Moderators ... won't act immediately on one person thinking a Member "violated" and marking it accordingly ... but if 29 Members mark a post as a violation ... that will weigh heavier, play a part in the Moderating decision making process, etc.

generally ... when a Member thinks another "violated a rule" ... it's usually not the case ... as managing / moderating in this community requires more than a cursory, surface view ... but sometimes Members get it right ... and there is in fact a violation ... but it doesn't rise all the way to the level of the Moderating TEAM acting on it ... well ... this is a Member's way to speak to these "violations" ... that they feel are occurring.

additionally ... we can build into this where there are consequences for the one receiving the "violation" warning ... i just haven't gotten that far yet ... and don't know if i'll use it because the consequence is not something we'd normally do ... like make their "negatively rated" post invisible

while i've always wanted us to be positive toward each other, encouraged that in every way possible ... being able to maturely accept negative critiques is a necessity of life ... and after 17 years of building a very positive foundation of positive engagement ... i think it's time we add a real life dimension to this ... and see just how mature we really are ... how balanced ... how real ... by being able to accept what the world does actually give and bring ... a balance of positive and negative critiques

we shall see how it goes

let me know if you have any suggestions

we can always cancel it all if need be

but i think we can handle it

at least i hope

Loving Us!

:heart:

Destee

Perfection ... i understand your concern of having that one, two, or few that hate everything you say and only leave negative critiques ... but likewise ... you'll probably have that same number of folk that love everything you say ... no matter what you say ... 'cause they love you

so i'm thinking it will all even out in the end

we're all subject to it ... me included ... and in case you didn't know ... not everyone likes all i say ... :teach:

in this community folk get to not like what someone says ... and if the person can't handle that ... they're probably in the wrong community ... because we can absolutely guarantee ... folk will tell you that they don't like what you're saying ... 'cause it's been happening for 17 years ... long before we got this new feature ... and there is no violation in sharing such an opinion respectfully

i think it will be all good in da hood ... :love:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Actually.. I think you'll find that having a positive acknowledgement is superior.. with regard to keeping the peace.. than having both positive and negative acknowledgements. The old system only showed you when people agreed with you.. this one will collect and display all of the disagreement as well.. and that'll most likely lead to more drama.. #watch

A few points here. First, I think that maybe my post was not read carefully by some---except the individual who "liked" it lol. I applaud this new system which does not publicly show who's "liking" posts. I think this makes a difference. I will not address the detailed note Queen Destee posted below because this is her building and I'm a guest in it. I was merely saying that I appreciate that aspect (that I mentioned) of the change.

You mentioned that the former system was the "superior" one citing "positive acknowledgement" as the basis of your conclusion. While I can see your possible reasoning in that, I would (counter) argue that the superior system would seek to avoid any type of "grading" system of "likes" or responses regarding personal expression as it could never gauge the actual worth of the thread in question. It's artifical and skewed out the gate.

Let's offer an example.

Say a newbie comes to a venue and she likes all kittens that are only black. But 80% of the venue (tenure memebers) this newbie has walked in prefers orange kittens. If the newbie constantly underscores the black kittens in her posts, those who like orange kittens will disagree and start to show it through their "like" and or "dislike" buttons. What are they doing? They have weaponized their personal squabbles against the newbie who admires black kittens.

Embracing the idea that a grading/liking system is indicative of a reality is as flawed and illogical as saying that a video which receives 1 million views is more important than one which receives only 500 views.

Therefore, to reduce tensions, or, what you labeled as "drama", the superior system would seem be that which would abolish the "like" system. This way, there's only a single instrument you can utilize to attack who you may disagree: your mind.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back