Black Spirituality Religion : I Learned today

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by truetothecause, Dec 10, 2009.

1. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    of a Voodoo Priest who was sent to treatment for ALCOHOLISM....

Drinking alcohol is a part of the Priest (if that's what they are called) duty, right?

He was supported by one of his high Priest to seek treatment for his illness.

For those who practice or follow this Spiritual System, does it make sense for this person to return to their role if they have begun to abuse Alcohol:?:

His illness came to light after telling a follower to kiss is........., ........and his whole entire.......:SuN049:

How can we help him in treatment if he continues as a Priest. I did also hear that he is to drink non-alcoholic beverages when preforming his duties now. How realistic is that in the Voodoun system:?:

M.E.
    :hearts2:

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

......................Wow!

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I don't know about the tradition, but I do know if he doesn't get himself under control he won't have to worry about returning to the priesthood....he'll either die or lose his customer base. I can only imagine the lives he may have screwed up; if I were a customer I'd be pissed.

4. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Well...I know in the tradition, alcohol is used frequently for Libations and other ceremonial activities.

While in Ghana, during an Abosom (I think it's called)..the Priestess was clearly intoxicated. I had a very interesting experience with it. Also, we must have purchased a couple of cases of vodka to give as offerings to many places visited during the trip. We did participate in several Spiritual Ceremonies.

I've asked questions before of those in many of the Spiritual systems that favor alcohol in ceremonies. Given the rates of alcoholism and addiction in our communities..seems like a set up.

Thanks for checking and Sharing Sis!

M.E.

5. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Yeah....I'm just hoping some folks from the Tradition respond. When/If he stays and completes IOP, he'll step down to OP and will likely be assigned to work with...

M.E.

6. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    JFR....At least 85% of the consumers in Drug and Alcohol treatment profess the christian faith. While they rely on their "Spirituality" as the guiding force in their lives...and have for most of their lives...they have continued to abuse drugs and alcohol. The other 14% claim Muslim/Islam and 1% other Spiritual Systems.

When asked how their Spiritual/Religious beliefs assist in obtaining or sustaining sobriety...they usually rely on "faith" that this time things will be different.

M.E

7. 44Reasons

44Reasons Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    Rules are meant to be broken I try to stay away from the alcohol, my alternative is pot by the way. I will start to do my true voodoo with the assistance of home grown canabis and not that store brought stuff that's been handled.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

Well...Keep us posted true, this is really interesting.

9. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    There should be a link dedicated to alcoholism if there already isn't one. I take this subject personally because that is a generational issue in my family. Its like it passed down through the genes and many of my family members have died from liver cancer at the age of 44 to 51 including my mother.

I mean she quite years earlier but it had already messed up her system so bad that when she found out about it - it was to late. Its not just voodoo priest but preachers, deacons, evangelist, and many others. I mean when communion came around I used to see people getting happy like there was going to be a party and it seemed as though that was the only time you can get a wino in church.

Alcoholism is serious business. We have to remember that it was once against the law in this country to get caught with Alcohol but now its legal.

Peace

Ru2religious

10. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Thanks for Sharing!!!!!:bowdown:

And I as well. At least three generations on BOTH sides...maternal and paternal. So...if I seem a little wacky...please bear with me...lol:SuN030::10500:

Yes ADDICTION is serious business. AND...it is STILL illegal. It's called "drinking on the highway". People are charged with this for drinking even a beer outdoors! I have a few folk in treatment who are court mandated to treatment for this.

M.E.