Black People : I hope Destee Doesn't Sell-Out...

happy69

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 3, 2002
I heard it on the news, AOL has bought BlackVoices.Com. To be honest I think that BV was already overrun with racists... but now that AOL has it, it will get worse.

Soon, I think, The Hutchinson Resport will fade out too. Lately, it has been under attack by the KKK.... and like many places who allow such to happen, soon they lose their base audience.

Except for some sites that Blacks put up and moderate...soon most Black Sites will be off the lines; and I don't want to say good - because it is to me really sad that Blacks cannot seem to do anything; not even anything as simple as making sure that people who post on their sites come in with respect... they can say and feel what they want, but have respect; and leave their racist drivel (that gets tiring); at home, where they can wallow in it.

A friend of mine actually welcomes the news when Black sites are taken over by corporations; then he says We see what happens....

Is this just another notch in the Black Belt? Is this just Us doing what We have become so proficient in: WE CREATE....WE NURTURE....WE GIVE IT AWAY?

add to that; THEN WE ***** BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING.

To be truthful Happy69, Black Voices was never black owned to begin with. The site was owned by Tribune Media. This is why BV was never moderated, and it is why racist trolls were always allowed to roam free. It is also why the inter-racial dating recruiters were allowed to spread their self-destructive messages unabaited. The same goes for Black Planet, another white owned "Black Site". So I wouldn't morn the sale of BV to AOL. The site is simply being sold from one plantation to another. The disgusting topics, and disrespectful treatment on the above mentioned sites are the primary reason I came to Destee.

I wouldn't worry about Destee selling out, she is a strong sister, with dedication, and integrity. Brother Jacuma's website is also a home to feel welcome at. No I wouldn't worry about black owned sites. The problem is too many so called black companies perpetrate: BET, Essence Magazine, Def Jam, The Source Magazine, Phat Farm, all of these companies are white owned. Not surprisingly the messages in all of them are often superficial, unprogressive, and in many cases down right divisive. :deal: The bottom line is be wary of black media that is white owned! It is the ultimate conflict of interest.

Sister Happy69 ... i too would like to agree with Brother Pan. BV was never a "black owned" site, so we've not lost anything, as such.

Being in this business as long as i have, i've seen lots of truly "black owned" sites simply disappear from the Internet landscape. I'd imagine that very few of them "sold out" but instead, most died due to lack of financial support from the folk they catered to. This is my concern as well. These sites cost a significant amount of resources (time, money, expertise, etc.), especially once they become relatively large, as ours is. In addition, they (we) are often vying for the same people / support / patronage, that the "black sites that are white owned" are ... and it's really no competition when up against what seems to be unlimited resources.

I really don't consider this community in competition with those other places, because we have what money can't buy, Spirit. The Spirit in this place is so awesome! Many have shared how when they join us, they feel an immediate blanket of love and warmth. You cannot buy this, nor create it. It's a gift from God Himself and i'm honored that it is found here.

The fact remains, money is needed to keep a site alive. I'm often left in awe, as i consider all the many sites that have died (or are only a shell of their former selves), great Black sites ... they're gone and we're still here. It really is by the Grace of God. I'm a single Mother of three, and we've sacrificed much, to keep this community here. Thanking God right now for my wonderful babies.

This entire effort, from day one, has been guided by all those who came before me. Those that never had an opportunity to take full advantage of new technologies, because they were only allowed in, after all the good was sucked out of a thing. This is for them and because of them, their sacrifices that allowed me to be here today (and yesterday) realizing a dream come true ... a loving, peaceful, and rich community, where we can be ourselves, say what we want, share our thoughts, help each other, meet others like us, build, teach, and embrace. Doing the very thing they claim we can't do. Respectful of all Members and their opinions, room for all of us, where none are considered "the least of us." No matter how things end up, i have already been given the desire of my heart.

I'm comforted and encouraged by you, Sister Happy69, and all the other Members of this community that have gone "above and beyond," giving your financial support to help this site remain a part of the Internet landscape. But unfortunately, those who have helped, is a very small percentage of those who have Membership here.

No Sister, we don't have to worry about Destee selling out. My whole heart, soul, mind, body and strength is in this effort. For as long as i'm able, for as long as God says the same, this will be ours, as it is now and as it has been from day one. When i'm no longer able, or God says otherwise, it just won't be here anymore.

:heart:

Destee

This is so crucial and I hope members of our community are paying attention to what it takes to keep opportunities like this available for us. Destee, you and this community have my support and this is the LEAST that I can do!

Queenie :heart:

yes i hope many take the time to read and know our goals
as a community Destee is strong and have been in the storm
to get here today and with the Grace & love of GOD this site
will continue on and surely with many great members of support
i will back Destee.com up mentally , physically & financially as
in part of what i can to keep our home and doors open
this hit home and a good view of why we should support our own
we are of many but full support speaks out louder, I agree with all above .
Peace to a community of warmth

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back