Black Women : I have a question

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Heavenessance, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Heavenessance

Heavenessance New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, I'm just so phyched to read all this stuff and know there is supportive sisters out there.

I wanted to know does having acne make you less attractive? I have had acne for 7 years of my 17 years of life. A boy told me last year I was pretty but i needed to get rid of my acne on my cheeks. Because I am really light complexion it stands out, red and sollen, and I feel that is the first thing people notice about me. And I want to hide in my room, because I feel ugly and people at school used to describe me, oh the yellow girl with the zits. A girl I thought was my friend asked me right in front of a bunch of people, have you ever heard of noxema? You know it may sound petty or some dumb teen problem, but it hurts, I mean it really hurts, I get tears thinking even now, about it. I just need to know are you uglier if you have acne, because that's how I feel everyday.

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Say mama, I dun seen some fine women with Acne you good ma. You may want too see a dermatologist if you think it is that bad, but never let a boy or any being judge your beauty:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello Heavenessance and welcome to Destee!

I was just reading an article the other day regarding Alicia Keyes and her acne problem. She said she tends to get bad breakouts from all the makeup she is required to wear - and one reporter stated it always appears that Alicia is hiding from the cameras...like she is ashamed of her acne.

You are not alone! Chances are it is something you'll grow out of.

My daughter is also 17 and has breakouts on her nose and forhead. I don't think it is so bad that she needs a dermatologist BUT I did buy her the new products by Biore and they seem to be helping a lot. So just in case you're not able to get a referral to a dermatologist, know that Biore does work. The price ranges around $7.50 per item... but you should only need two of those.

I wish you the best, and always remember you're beautiful NOW...don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Sister HeavenEssance, you are young now, so you might not quite understand what I'm about to say, but BEAUTY IS SKIN DEEP, meaning it goes beyond how one looks to the very core of their being... Who are you spiritually??? Who are you mentally and emotionally??? How do you treat others??? Your friend does not know it, but her attitude was Mad Ugly, and I'll just bet you wind up with more boyfriends because of your lovely personality than she will...

Take it from me, that as a young kid, I wore thick glasses and I was chubby... I got laughed at and teased to the point that I started to fight folks and become a class disruption from the 1st to the 5th grade... Then, miraculously, I became a 12 or 13 year old, I lost all that weight playing football and basketball, and walking up those 19 flights of stairs in the PJ's with the broken elevators, yo!(smile!) Girls came a coming with a fury... I didn't even like girls at twelve - not that close!(smile!) But they knew what they wanted, and eventually they showed me that they were what I wanted...(smile!)

Moral to the story lil' sista is Everything Must Change, and especially when you're a young person with a lotta life ahead... Understand that the acne is going to go away, and there are two tried and true methods for making that happen... One, change your diet... Two, change the way you think by meditation, or by simply maintaining a positive and confident mental attitude... I bet you the pimples/acne will go away quick fast... One more thing... if you are not working out and exercising, begin to do so... The sweating will cleanse your system, and actually change the body's chemistry... it will also calm your mind, which plays a role in how one looks... What you look like on the outside is effected by what you think on the inside... Hang on in there baby, a change is gonna come, I know it will...(smile!)

peace!
    Isaiah

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    all good advice, see a dermatologist, get very active physically, sweat and drink a ton of water.

meditate and get your spirit calmed.

you will be OK

6. Heavenessance

Heavenessance New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly feel better already and some sense of hope. I never thought about who I was spiritally, eventhough I never miss church, but I mean I take it like I need to focus my energy on something else, and definitely change what I eat, I didn't know certain foods will give you acne. I don't think I can really afford a dermatologists, but i will definately get that stuff someone mentioned. i just thank everyone for their uplifting insites.

7. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Hello and welcome to destee.com Heavenessance…
    All is such good advice here

I learned with my nephew it was also his eating habits, Greasy foods as fries, fried chicken, fast foods etc. along with junk food and soda have a lot to do with it as well. Plenty of water is also healthy for the skin…try to find a gently cleansing agent as well….one my nephew used was clearskin by Avon and also the black soap is good….

But also always rememeber beauty comes from the inside....and reflects outward

Peace
    Angel

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    check around.

i found a free clinic near me that is run by the teaching hospital and you get the student dermatologists.

i got good treatment for my skin problems and i have cleared up pretty well.
    i even got samples from the doctor so i didn't have to buy a prescription.
    they also pointed me to some over the counter products that didn't cost much and have got my skin glowing.

don't give up, check around.

BTW - drink plenty of pure water and sweat. :grouphug:

9. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    One of my best friends had it. She got teased and I know that had to be hard for her but she never talked about it. After a while her skin cleared up and dudes flocked like crazy. That's some shallow stuff though. But remember, it sin't got to be about what everybody else want. What do you want? If somebody fit to like you then they will regardless, ole girl used to have a fan or two.

On the other hand, as for me. I used to talk to this one guy who went to my high school and he had acne. He took care of it even though it was still noticable. I never made a big deal because he was a beautiful person and he treated me better than most ance-less guys did.

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Heavenessance, you've received such love and great advice. Welcome to Destee's and I hope you continue to feel better about what you can do to help improve the condition of your skin, but most importantly, to love yourself more.

Peace young sister!
    Queenie :hearts1: