Black People : I hate the label: Uncle Tom

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Captain Ray, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Captain Ray

Captain Ray Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Call me crazy, but Isn't it a little over the top to criticize a black man in a republican administration by calling him "Uncle Tom?"

The daily Kos, a decidedly left wing blog (It's a free country, the left wingers are entitled to blog if they wish, posts this story. A viciouse attack on a succesful black man, a veteran of several wars, a retired General, and a now prominent figure in the Bush Administration.

Over at the American Digest the question was asked and answered.

Whats even worse, is that he's being labled an "Uncle Tom" by a bunch of wealthy white guys! Ain't that a b****! LOL

Raymond

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Captain Ray ... please don't think i'm just "messing with you" ... 'cause i aint ... but if you could, please refrain from using curse / swear words in the discussions. We have teenagers in the Family.

Thank You.

:heart:

Destee

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    when one so unfold success as a man of color to rise they be labled
    an uncle tom by the one's they so wish to be as he .....it so was the
    wisdom & knowledge spreading that made him who he is not the facts
    of he craddling under da system that generated ......it was wits
    yeap that's something else those the kind that no longer ware the white sheets

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    IF YOUR WORKING FOR THE REPUBLICANS ITS SAFE TO SAY YOR AN UNCLE TOM,,...IT'S ALSO PRETTY SAD WHEN WHITES ARE TELLING YOU LOL

5. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep! Thank-goodness for Bryant Gumbel! He's not one of those nasty Republicans!

Raymond

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    JC Watts, Ward Connelly, Alan Keyes, Clarence Thomas, Gregory Kane, Colin Powell (since he got in bed with the Bush administration), etc. I wouldn't call these guys Uncle Toms, I much prefer to term "boot-licking Uncle Tom". What else can you classify people that promote & endorse policies which are detrimential to the majority of their race. Are these "gentleman" successful? Absolutely, however that doesn't mean they are to be admired. Black slave overseers where pretty "successful" in their time too.

7. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    PA: boot-licking, huh...thanks for making me laugh. I agree, I agree.

Ward Connerly said that he is not black. J.C. Watts isn't as bad as the rest, in my own opinion.... and G. Kane told me that he is not a republican????

Just because White Republicans don't call them that in public; and I am not sure that they don't call it to them to their faces (another adjective that is banted around and accurate WEAK) doesn't mean that they don't feel the same way.

Most of them look just like what they are called.... money can't change a thing. The majority of successful African-Americans identify as democrats or independent--- and I can make a list as long as my arm of the ones who would open wide and smile while they are taking it; for a dime.

They are looked at like UNCLE because they are!

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

Brother OldSoul shared with me (us) during his online class, Online Consciousness, regarding where the term "Uncle Tom" came from. Gosh, i'm going to try to share with you the jist of what he said, but i could never do justice to his presentations, they are awesome! Well, if no mistake, he said that the term "Uncle Tom" was a good thing to Black Folk. When we as a people, during slavery times, would refer to a Black man in the community as "Uncle" anything, respect was being given to that elder. So they, White folk, had to figure out a way to take that respect we had for each other away, so "Uncle Tom" slowly but surely came to mean a bad thing to us.

This made me ask Brother OldSoul if this is how the term "Uncle Sam," came into existence, and the fact that it is a "good" thing ... but "Uncle Tom" is a bad thing. He didn't think the two had anything to do with each other and said he'd do some research on how "Uncle Sam" came to be. (And i thought to myself, i need to do some research too.)

Brother Alkebulan helped me to see that the worst of things we see in our people, is a direct result of our experiences. He actually said the problems are systemic. I need to look the word systemic up, to be sure i'm using it properly. :wink: For example, Brother Alkebulan and i were talking in voice chat about "Brothers that choose White women for their mate." I'm in IL right now, and it is at epedimic proportion in this city. It is a crisis in my opinion and it had me so very disappointed, not to mention angry. Brother Alkebulan reminded me that there are several reasons for all of this, one of which is the fact that many of us are so "Americanized," which is the goal, that they see absolutely nothing wrong with their choices. They feel they are doing the right thing for themselves (and they very well could be, based on their reality). He was able to soothe the anger and disappointment in me.

I believe we must challenge ourselves to look for the good in our Sisters and Brothers. If we find that it is too resource intense to do, then we should simply leave that Brother or Sister like we found them. I don't think it's necessary to call them out of their name, to disrespect them. By doing these things, we make an already bad situation worse, which is exactly what they want us to do. Those of us who know better, must do better.

Great Topic Brother Captain Ray! :toast:

:heart:

Destee

9. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panafrica.. It is interesting whom you chose to label. Is it their action, or their ideology? I am a VERY Conservative man.. I lick at no-ones boot heels. I could point out to you several thousand examples of black men and/or women who subjugate themselves to the will of the powers who be, who hold no conservative values at all.. I would not label them "Uncle Tom" though..

In a world where WLIB in NY is taken over by Air America (why a liberal radio network would adopt the phrase of a CIA operation is puzzling to me...) Black, Local, Community minded people are out of work because wealthy white people couldn't find a place to get their message out! Now how silly is that? Explain that one to me?! I see no solidarity with the Democrats. I don't agree with them on anything.

That's me though.

My ideology is what it is. My little girl will grow to be just as independent as I am. That's all that really matters to me.

Raymond

10. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I have also heard that the term "Uncle Tom" originally had a more positive meaning. However, the current usage is interchangeable with sell-out. This is the intent, and it is what I used it for. Conservative? Liberal? Those are just labels brother Ray, and in truth I fall under neither. However for political purposes, Conservatism is not just strong Christian values, anti-abortion, anti- gay marriage, small government, tax breaks, etc. Conservatism also includes anti-affirmative action, anti-minority scholarships, strict prision sentencing, ending federal school lunch programs (or any other benefit program which is seen as a drain on federal resources), of course they include tax breaks for the wealthy also. When you place yourself under the title of Conservative, you take on everything that comes with it. Many of which is detrimental to the overwhelming majority of black americans.

You are a family man brother Ray, and I respect that about you, because so am I. Although one's immediate family should always be their first priority, it shouldn't be the only one. When thinking on which party to support, don't just limit yourself to how this will affect myself & my daughter. Think how this will affect my brothers & sisters. My parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. How will this affect my community? Not neccessarily the community I live in, but my race as a whole (of which your daughter's future husband might come from). You don't agree with any thing Democrats do. That's fine, but what exactly do you agree with that the Republican party does (also can any explain to me why there is always a recession when Republicans take power, that only is a reason to keep them out of office)? Their policies are not just racist, they are classist as well. Any one who is not in the $250,000 annual income bracket is voting against their economic interest by voting republican. Any who is not lacking melanin is voting out of their social interest by voting republican.

My biggest complaint about Black conservatives/republicans (whatever have you), is that these people had doors opened for them, in order for them to reach the level of success they have achieved. However, instead of them holding that door open for someone else of their race, they literally try to close it once they pass through. It is selfish, it is selling out. One can be successful without supporting policies which are detrimental to the majority of their people. By the way, I noticed the Bryant Gumbel comment......in no way am I implying that an educated, articulate, black man is an Uncle Tom.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bryant gumbel called an uncle tom