Black People : I Finally Experienced It

Senegal

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 7, 2016
For years people have told me that Blacks from Africa and from the Caribbean think they are better than American Blacks. I had never experienced or witnessed such a thing until yesterday at work. I met this dude from Nigeria that had a big problem with working under my direction. He didnt say anything initially but his attitude and body language said alot. I pulled him to the side and asked him what his problem was. I was wondering if I had offended him in the past and didnt remember. I knew I had never met him but thought maybe I could be mistaken. He first denied there was an issue but later told me that he didn't want to get stereotyped as an American Black and it was nothing personal as I didn't appear to act like "one of them". I was stunned at first. Here I am looking at this Black man that looks like me and he wanted to be as far away from being seen as a Black American as possible. If I had not been at work I would have had discussion with him explaining that without "one of them" he wouldn't have the nice job he was currently working. I guess there is ignorance no matter where you come from.

For years people have told me that Blacks from Africa and from the Caribbean think they are better than American Blacks. I had never experienced or witnessed such a thing until yesterday at work. I met this dude from Nigeria that had a big problem with working under my direction. He didnt say anything initially but his attitude and body language said alot. I pulled him to the side and asked him what his problem was. I was wondering if I had offended him in the past and didnt remember. I knew I had never met him but thought maybe I could be mistaken. He first denied there was an issue but later told me that he didn't want to get stereotyped as an American Black and it was nothing personal as I didn't appear to act like "one of them". I was stunned at first. Here I am looking at this Black man that looks like me and he wanted to be as far away from being seen as a Black American as possible. If I had not been at work I would have had discussion with him explaining that without "one of them" he wouldn't have the nice job he was currently working. I guess there is ignorance no matter where you come from.

Brother Senegal, I wonder what he meant saying, "one of them", I didn't catch it, hopefully they aren't so shortsighted as that

Brother Senegal, I wonder what he meant saying, "one of them", I didn't catch it, hopefully they aren't so shortsighted as that
He was talking about African Americans. I'm not going to do what he did and be ignorant because I know a lot of Africans from Togo, Ethiopia, and Eritrea personally.

He was talking about African Americans. I'm not going to do what he did and be ignorant because I know a lot of Africans from Togo, Ethiopia, and Eritrea personally.

I tried to start a thread on this very topic, but I didn't get the dialogue I was looking for. First off, a member who has been banned numerous times controlled the thread and its direction.

https://destee.com/threads/must-rea...between-africans-and-african-americans.88541/

I think a lot of people want to be politically correct and deny that there is sometimes a complicated relationship between African and African Americans at all, like it doesn't exist.... wishful thinking.

Like you, I am from California, and there you will meet Africans, and Islanders from everywhere. Like you I have African friends from many nations. I have learned that there are great cultural differences between them depending on their countries of origin, religion, and/or tribal affiliation, and personalities too.

And, though I have made close friendships with various Africans and Islanders, I believe I might be the ONLY African American that they have forged a close relationship with. I think WE are to blame for this. JMO.

I think its a matter of divide and conquer, that separates us. The perpetuation of myths and old legends. Remember that during slavery it was US who were guilty of, as you say:

"Here I am looking at this Black man that looks like me and he wanted to be as far away from being seen as a [African] as possible."
So, I am just kicking the idea around in my head, thinking..... Maybe the knowledge of that attitude that we had many moons ago has been passed down from generation to generation among them, and probably nurtured by "well meaning" (sarcasm) white folk. So, here we are at a silly stalemate on both sides thinking "they don't like us", "they think they are better than us".

Also, on a side note...treading lightly.... Nigeria is the richest nation of Africa, compare that to Eritrea. The people that I know from Eritrea came to the U.S. as refugees. Their demeanor is different from those who came from the richest nation. Just something I noticed. Just pointing out country of origin reflects something about a persons attitude. Your friend my have been from a very affluent class in Nigeria. He probably never took orders from anyone! LOL

Anyway, it would be nice if you invited your "friend" to dinner, and had a meaningful discussion about this matter. That would be really cool.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back