Phones and Apps : I finally broke down and got an Android phone, I think I want to marry it. What are some good apps?

I haven't paid for an app yet :).
I have had my phone for nearly a year.

Games
----------
Fruit Ninja
Drag Racing
Angry Birds

They have game emulators for SNES and NES such as Snesoid Lite and Nesoid Lite. If you have any ROMS of these systems or can download them, then you can play them on your phone. There are other emulators for old game systems as well.

Music
-------
TuneIn Radio

Readers
---------
Google Books - You can download and read books for free. TONS of books.

Tools
----------
Citrix Receiver - AWESOME tool.
2X Client and PocketCloud - RDP tools. I use these to remote into Windows servers and workstations from my smartphone or tablet.
SpeedTest - Test the speed of any Internet link

Connectbot - Terminal emulator program. I use this to SSH into any Linux or UNIX host.
SSHDroid - Another terminal emulator / SSH program
WoL Wake On LAN - You can wake up any machine that supports WOL with your tablet when the machine is powered off.

I have other tools so that you can stand up SSH daemons on your smartphone or tablet as well as VNC tools.

Essentially with all of those, you would be able to connect into and administer any network, server, or workstation.

If you are into rooting your device, I'd have to rummage around. I've been able to do everything that I want with my Android devices without rooting them.

If I buy another Android phone, then I will get into rooting hardcore.

Winamp for local MP3s.

Spotify for paid streaming. I've been using it for two months now as a premium member and I like it (~10 USD/month).

Google Voice
Google Docs
NPR News App
RunKeeper
Soundhound
Swype or similar keyboard replacement like swift. 8pen is a good option if you're willing to deal with the learning curve.
Sleep like an Android (a couple of months ago I would've recommended WakeMate, but it's crappy and poorly supported on Android)
Remember The Milk (not free, but a great todo list that syncs and accessible from multiple platforms)
Shuffle (a good alternative to remember the milk minus a lot of perks).
Google Sky
Khan Academy App
Vlingo (pretty decent Siri alternative, but not quite as extensively integrated)
Google Listen (Podcasts)

SetCPU (rooted only)
AdFree (rooted only)

I haven't paid for an app yet :).
I have had my phone for nearly a year.

Games
----------
Fruit Ninja
Drag Racing
Angry Birds

They have game emulators for SNES and NES such as Snesoid Lite and Nesoid Lite. If you have any ROMS of these systems or can download them, then you can play them on your phone. There are other emulators for old game systems as well.

Music
-------
TuneIn Radio

Readers
---------
Google Books - You can download and read books for free. TONS of books.

Tools
----------
Citrix Receiver - AWESOME tool.
2X Client and PocketCloud - RDP tools. I use these to remote into Windows servers and workstations from my smartphone or tablet.
SpeedTest - Test the speed of any Internet link

Connectbot - Terminal emulator program. I use this to SSH into any Linux or UNIX host.
SSHDroid - Another terminal emulator / SSH program
WoL Wake On LAN - You can wake up any machine that supports WOL with your tablet when the machine is powered off.

I have other tools so that you can stand up SSH daemons on your smartphone or tablet as well as VNC tools.

Essentially with all of those, you would be able to connect into and administer any network, server, or workstation.

If you are into rooting your device, I'd have to rummage around. I've been able to do everything that I want with my Android devices without rooting them.

If I buy another Android phone, then I will get into rooting hardcore.
I got the fruit ninja, and angry birds, app....so addicting. I was reading up on trying to get rid of the apps that come with the phone, and it mentioned something about rooting. After I read about it, I was pretty sure that I didn't want to risk losing my phone forever, lol! I did find a pretty good app, it is called google sky, all you gotta do is walk outside point your phone up and it tells you what star or constellation you are looking at. I tried it tonight, and it was pretty awesome, I never knew that the thing I always saw outside my house was not a star, but the planet Jupiter....love it.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back