Black Women : I don't see nothing wrong- Sistah Strength

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by $$BEAUTY$$, Oct 3, 2006.

1. $$BEAUTY$$

$$BEAUTY$$ Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Have you ever asked yourself why you should feel guilty for being educated?
    Being an educated young black woman is nothing to feel sorry about or ashamed of. If we do not educate our minds we cannot feed our souls... or for that fact our children. A lot of black women who want to "stay the same" look down on educated sisters because they feel intimidated.

Many of our own family memebers tell us " oh you think you better than everybody." Maybe if they spent less time thinking up ignorant B/S like that they would be one step further in society. Black women can be very catty sometimes. We get personal, or as I like to say "we go there." When we feel intimidated or defeated we will call you everything to tear you down.

As a teenager I let certain things other girls said to me bother me. I got in a lot of fights defending my intelligence. Back then I did not take into consideration that maybe they wanted to be as intelligent as I was. I compromised myself, I doubted my self, and at the end because I let them win I got the short end of the stick.

Black women are the most powerful beings that god put on this earth. We can live under certain conditions and still hold our household together. Black women have a solution for everything. Yet, when it comes to patting each other on the back and saying "good job" we cut our eyes and say "&#@* her she aint nobody." Wrong we are all somebody. We as black women should be so close and united that you couldn't plow us down with a tank.

Martha Stewart did not create housekeeping. I have sat and listen to my mother and grandmother tell me of how they drew water from a well, and washed clothes on a washboard. And Lord have mercy mama could cook up some dinner and spend hours on it. while today we throw somein up in the microwave and prop our foots, yes foots, up and watch girlfriends. I remember stories of how my grandmother and her siblings walked barefooted on the hot louisiana tar in the summer because they could not afford shoes. Yet these days we have so much Gucci and Prada we haven't the space for it.

The point is don't let anyone ridicule you for your success, because we have come a long way and have miles more to go. I am merely old enough to vote but because I sit and listen to my elders I gain wisdom and am aware of where we have come and how far we still have to go. I don't see nothing wrong with a little bit of success. Black women come together and stop this hateful prejudice we have against ourselves.

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    You're right; I can relate to your testimony. I'd have to sum this up by saying that times change, and people change; therefore, we need to constantly cultivate new ideals in order to maintain our femininity while keeping up to par with evolving times. Although I am a loner by choice; nothing beats togetherness within a sister-circle:)

3. $$BEAUTY$$

$$BEAUTY$$ Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I can say I feel you on that spicy. I myself learned to keep to myself under circumstances. I also learned to build up and not tear down.

4. Soncerat

Soncerat Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Overeducated...

I have so many letters after my name it doesn't make any sense! I'm working on my PhD in International Relations, but I don’t' let that stop me from staying in touch with my peeps!

Some get it and some don't. Those that don't, I just keep moving. There's no time to contemplate the behavior of others, because you'll never figure them out.

Those that see through the letters to the real me have come to find that I too am a Black woman, in the fight. We enjoy each other and teach each other, none of us knows so much that we can't be taught something new.

I have friends from the cleaning people to the Boardroom and I treat them all the way I want to be treated...with respect.

I get invited to the Hampton’s, Half Moon Bay and everything in between. I am too busy relishing this life to ponder whether or not people have a problem with what I have or don't have.

Enjoy!