Writing Discussion : I can't finish anything I write....

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by MsInterpret, Oct 16, 2012.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I one day would like to write a fictional novel...but I have several ideas of stories...some I've posted on here, others I have not...But the problem is I have tons of unfinished material.
    I freestyle write...I write along as it comes into my head...I can get the story off to a good start with a climax, but then that's it.....*poof* writer's block.
    I lose momentum in the story and then another pops up into my head.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how I can come up with new ideas?

What do you do to get out of your writer's block to keep writing?

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    been there.. I think the key is to follow each idea as far as you possible can.. then.. if the linkages between the different stories does not reveal themselves to you.. make a conscious choice to create the links from outside the creative process.

Step back, make some design decisions then dive back in. Don't judge it until it's done. You can always rewrite.. and rewrite.. and rewrite. Or you may just throw the whole thing out and start again.. but you'll be a more productive writer the next time around.

I learned with my own writing.. prose and music.. that Deadlines move me forward. When I had to turn in a script or something, I let the ideas build all the way up.. then at the last minute before it was due, I'd spit it out all and hand it in. I was able to get a lot of things done that way. Joining a writers group is also a good way to impose deadlines on your self..

but ultimately.. I think it's about consciously making choices. Add some randomness to your process.. take 2 pages from this story and 2 pages from that story and figure out how to link them into a single thing. You may be pleasantly surprised at how it turns out.

-good luck

3. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Thanks I'll see about finding a writer's group.

4. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

get ready from some long-winded ego stroke-laden recitations.. if you can, make your own writer's group focused on the kind of writing you're interested in..

The group I attended, The Berkeley Writer's Group was hosted here.. http://www.meetup.com/ .. we met at coffee shops and book stores.. check it out.

5. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Ahhh...okay thanks for the heads up. I'll check out meetup to see if there are any locally...I'm kind of intimidated when I share my works with others...It's hard for me to take criticism on something like photography or writings that I've done...When given ideas or suggestions, you know, artists or self-proclaimed artists don't like for anyone to tell them how to do their thing...So I'm really gonna have to be open-minded to all this.

6. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    You will most likely find that most other Artists are the same in that respect. their is usually some rule about the kind of feedback that is allowed.

an idea I had yesterday.. was about figuring out how to link these discussion board conversations with my actual writing projects.. The idea was to take my responses to threads for a given day and put them in the order that they were posted.. then create a storyline around the themes and dialogue of the thread. I like that it's kind of dynamic and disjointed.. it could be a good excercise..

or or.. a good group excercise here on destee would be to take the top 5 threads that appear on the home screen here.. and funnel them into one of your stories.. it's a good set of random things to practice linking on.

for example:

Cleveland Bus Driver Uppercuts Aggressive Girl

7. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    That would be a hell of a challenge...but a very good idea...I agree they are very dynamic, correlating to one other at the particular time. But the fact that they are disjointed and sway from the topic quickly can make it messy.

And then going about orchestrating a group exercise on here...Good luck! There's only a handful of good writers on here, if that...as well as who would participate.

8. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    .. that's the challenge.. for it not to be messy.. and disjointed.. to make it flow smooth.. and easy. That's what makes it a good exercise.. we eventually develop techniques for connecting the unrelated fragments into a cohesive piece.. that's exactly the thing you would need to finally connect all of your own story fragments.

You ever watch the "Sopranos or Mad Men?" The writer of that show is an expert at combining random bits into a cohesive story.. he uses flashback sequences, the Psychiatrist's couch and quirky characters to meld all of the elements into a whole.
    I think the most effective one is the Psychiatrist's couch.. that and the Answering machine.. those are both really effective devices for providing backstory and
    shifting the direction of the storyline.. anway.. I'm rambing when I should be writing myself..

-peace..

9. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    as writers, we're constantly editing. some of us edit for grammatical errors. some of us edit for structural correctness. others, like me, edit for expansion--to fill in those details that completes the story, that i didn't think about during my initial draft. also, to expand the story into other areas...that make it a three dimentional story that encompasses more than the central character...and adds to the richness of the story. when you think you've taken it to its limits, put it on a shelf and let it simmer for a time. come back to it with an open mind...open to the possibilities of where it could go.

i'm usually working on four or five different writing projects at any given time--coz my mind wanders. when i put one on the shelf, i pick up another. i give myself goals for writing...i.e. the length of a story. if i'm aiming for two hundred pages, i try to write until i get there...or close to there. then, i start the editing process. as i'm editing, i sometimes come up with ideas that take the story in different directions. don't be afraid to explore those. just because you want the story to go some place doesn't mean that it cannot go somewhere else. see where it wants to go.

i usually write in third person. after writing this one story, i let my wife read it. she said she thought it would sound better in first person. so i rewrote the whole story. as you know, first person can be a challenge when you want to bring in all that surrounding stuff that you have when playing "god" in third person--the know all person. as challenging as it was, it forced me to become more creative in my craft. and, yes, it did sound good in first person.

my point is, you cannot limit yourself, or your writing. don't be afraid to get the opinions of others.

i wrote a story called "A Tahitian Treat." initially, it was seventeen pages long. when i killed off one of the central characters, the story was over. i let different people read it and their reaction was, "why did you kill her?" i rewrote the story several times...letting her live. eventually, it was over a hundred pages...and i'm still not done with it.

my problem is that i don't know when to stop writing.:)