Black People : I Bet Some Folk Hate The Internet

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, May 13, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    Hello Family,

The Internet allows us to come together from all corners of the world, discuss information, share opinions ... convene together ... and i'm sure they'd be better able to "control us" if we did not have this option.

Yep ... i'd imagine some folk are mad.

:heart:

Destee

2. sistahisis

sistahisis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    YEP. some folks like the media for one. before the internet they had a monolopy on dishing out information. :cry:

3. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    yes

so true. It's very hard to control. You can gain access to all kinds of info fast on the net :geek: .
    The internet gets info out faster than Sister Hatte Mae Johnson now :jawdrop: ....lolol

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I have to agree their are so many who hate the net ever came
    it has cause them to no longer control as so many in the millions
    coming together and finding solution to many problems and bonding
    something they don't want to see.....

5. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    [email protected]
    yep
    i gots to agree on that one...
    they cant control on what goes out...

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Good post Destee

Sales are increasing too on the net, brick and morter stores are loosing thier shirts in some cases. The airline and booking industry is hurting from on line sales, but a few are making money hand over foot.

Any one hear Dr. King's words ringing across this medium, ( the internet ) besides me?

We are joining hands here..group hug.. :grouphug:

" I've Been to the Mountaintop "
    Memphis Tennessee
    Given on the eve of his assassination April 3,1968

" I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life; longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And he's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promise land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land. "

" I have a Dream "
    March on Washington
    August 28,1963

Let Freedom Ring. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom to ring, and when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of GOD's children, Black Men, and White Men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing the words of that old negro spritual, " Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last! "

7. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    yep

Mm hmm. Yep. Folk would be sooooo mad. I know, myself, that I may not have known all that I do about the Diaspora if it were not for the internet. It's what got me so interested in my cultures and into my history and the dicussion of these things. I may still have been in a state of ignorance.

Thank God for everything we have, eh?! :fairy:

8. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    You know it!!

There are no "net police" to break up this large "potentially dangerous" gathering of black folks......and if they did, another site could be set up in hours so what would be the point. :shades:

MrBlak

9. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Consider this..... Given how easy it is to find information and pass information over the internet, how easy is it to gather information over the internet? Are we using the internet, or is it using us?...................................

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    My opinion: replace the word "or" with the word "and" in your last sentence then make it a statement instead of a question.

More specifically, the internet is nothing more than a sophisticated and highly technical instrument used to pass and receive information which is why it was coined the information superhighway. How can it use us without someone--a person or people--programming it to receive information about us? It can't use people but people can use it.

Maybe another way to phrase the question might be, how are "we" using the internet? Givers and receivers of information...that's what we are. With every keystroke or mouse click...what information are we making available, to whom, and how is it being used?

Is there any such thing called "privacy" anymore or has it become just an illusion? Consider the number of ways we voluntarily give up information about us. Computers have become the mechanical version of DNA in its ability to identify people easily with just a few clicks of a mouse. Think about the intricate network of data collection and storage and with each passing upgrade its getting easier and faster to pass on and to retrieve information.

If there's something you don't want people to know, you think they won't find out just because you don't tell them?

Good topic toylin!

Queenie :spinstar: