Black Spirituality Religion : I am Looking for Information about the Orisha Named Oya

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
I am especially interested in information about her manifestation as Afefe and her odu Osa Meji and her husband Shango. But I need guidance because it is vital to my purposes that the information I use be indigenous to Africa. I do not want information that exist only in Santeria.

I'm sure brotha Sek has written extensively about this but again I need guidance to distinguish traditional African from traditional Caribbean or traditional New Orleans and such.

Would appreciate your help very much.

Sorry for taking so long to give you a reply. In Osa-gunda it says the first instance Oya left Ogun was for divulging her ability to transform into a buffalo woman to a senior wife while intoxicated. She left him a final time, for Sango but not before "borrowing" some of his weapons of war.

One of the most important lessons we can learn from these stories is to understand the importance of honoring and repecting ewoo (personal taboo).

I am especially interested in information about her manifestation as Afefe and her odu Osa Meji and her husband Shango. But I need guidance because it is vital to my purposes that the information I use be indigenous to Africa. I do not want information that exist only in Santeria.

I'm sure brotha Sek has written extensively about this but again I need guidance to distinguish traditional African from traditional Caribbean or traditional New Orleans and such.

Would appreciate your help very much.
...the distinction is simple and basic. So, Western Nigeria, Togo, Congo and Benin are the original places of Yoruba life. In Africa people are Yoruba, Christian and Muslim. In Orisha there are no Catholic or Christian Yoruba. That exists only outside of Africa where the Slave Trade had an impact through Christian and Catholic slave holders.

...Traditional original names are Shango, Sango, Songo, Hevioso, Yemanja, Osanyin, Erinle, Oya, Oshun / Osun, Obatala, Eshu Elegbara - Ogun - Ochossi - The Ibora ( Warriors / hunters ) in Hispanic language the Sh is spelled Ch and many times the names are abbreviated like Inle for Erinle and Yemaya for Yemanja. Ashe / Ase - spiritual power and command is Ache in Spanish. T

...The Folklore in Santeria and Lucumi ( Cuba ) is reflective of the New World Yoruba order, not the ancient one...because the history and manifestation of Orisha in the New World is different - through Slavery and survival by tribal mixing. Orisha Worship in Brazil and Trinidad was called Xngo for Shango because the King archetype was who knew the most variety of ritual, the mastery of divination and the medicines and herbs - or the suitable substitutes. Much of that was gained from Native Americans or Native Indians as well as Europeans.

...Shango the mythical King / Assassin / Warrior / Lover /protector / diviner / dancer / Master of the drum secured the continuation of Orisha in the new world.

Sorry for taking so long to give you a reply. In Osa-gunda it says the first instance Oya left Ogun was for divulging her ability to transform into a buffalo woman to a senior wife while intoxicated. She left him a final time, for Sango but not before "borrowing" some of his weapons of war.

One of the most important lessons we can learn from these stories is to understand the importance of honoring and repecting ewoo (personal taboo).

...as far as the name and the scriptural term you mentioned, Afefe sounds like a road or manifestation of Oya.Osa Meji is from the table of Ifa ...a chart / Mandala for meditating and charting the Yoruba Universe. Oya is Osa ...an ODU
( scriptural verse ) that defines the energy of Osa the single ODU. Osa Meji is one of the primary 16 Odus that are twinned or doubled. There is a pictogram for Osa Meji and a double binary symbol.

...Osa is Women's Power at Night...that could be the bedroom of the Dark side of Oya who is the patroness of the market place and the cemetery. She is also the consort of Shango. Together they are Wind / Rain / Thunder/ Fire. It was Oya who gave Shango dominion over Fire to conquer Ogun who vied for Oya's affections.

...wasn't it Oya who gave Shango dominion over fire?...to defeat Ogun in the vying for Oya's affections?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back