Black Entertainment : I Am Legend: The Elusive "Black Super-Hero"

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by UBNaturally, Jan 17, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Steel, Spawn, Blankman, Meteor Man, Static, M.A.N.T.I.S. (Mechanically Automated Neurotransmitter Interactive System), Blade, Isaiah Bradley (AKA Captain America). These names make you ponder what and who these "heroes" were. What significant roles did they play in the inspiration of young minds?

For nearly all of the character's publication history Captain America was the alter ego of Steve Rogers, a sickly young man who was given enhanced strength and reflexes by an experimental serum in order to aid the United States war effort.

In an interview on November 19, 2002, Axel Alonso, an editor on both DC Comics' Vertigo imprint and Marvel's Marvel Knights line, eludes to the creation of Captain America ("Steve Rogers") in the early 40's, and background on the 2003 series which uses Isaiah Bradley.

http://pd.npr.org/an...atc_16.mp3?dl=1

As depicted in the 2003 limited series Truth: Red, White & Black, the WWII Super Soldier program of 1942, operated by "Reinstein" (Wilfred Nagel, employing an alias previously used by Dr. Abraham Erskine), used African American test subjects to re-create the formula that turned Steve Rogers into Captain America. The clandestine experimentation that empowered Isaiah held similarities with the Tuskegee Syphilis Study.

So let us look at a few other notable "heroes" and do a general comparison:

Batman, Superman, Hulk, Spiderman, etc. Oh and let us not forget "Neo", yes from the "Matrix" saga.

Sophia Stewart (aka Zenia Kavala) is the author of a work titled The Third Eye.

In 2003 she unsuccessfully sued several people and organizations associated with The Matrix and The Terminator claiming they infringed on her work. However, because Stewart failed to appear for a preliminary hearing, her original lawsuit was dismissed in 2005.

[​IMG]

Will Smith turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix in favor of Wild Wild West. After the failure of Wild Wild West and watching Keanu Reeves' performance, he suggests that he would not have been the appropriate actor for the role at the time, but still considers passing on The Matrix as a big mistake.

"You know, The Matrix is a difficult concept to pitch. In the pitch, I just didn't see it. I watched Keanu's performance - and very rarely do I say this - but I would have messed it up. I would have absolutely messed up The Matrix. At that point I wasn't smart enough as an actor to let the movie be. Whereas Keanu was smart enough to just let it be. Let the movie and the director tell the story, and don't try and perform every moment."

[​IMG]

With all of this relative information on relaying messages to those that are in need of motivational inspiration, does the "Black Super-Hero" become too much of a fantasy that is for ever being removed, replaced, or misrepresented?

What would or could the social consciousness have evolved to, if Will Smith would have said "Yes"?

Now some of you may think "I couldn't have seen Will Smith in the role of Neo"... ok, I can understand that.

Well let me ask, does this image make you think of "Neo"

[​IMG]

Or even, what if Denzel were to have been cast in such a role?

[​IMG]

Just something to think about

Respect