Black People : Hypothetically

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by BallOfConfusion, May 8, 2008.

1. BallOfConfusion

BallOfConfusion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Hypothetically speaking, what if Barack Obama had married a white women? He is half white. Already been accused of being "not black enough." Do you think this would change your opinion of him? How do you think the news reporters would handle this situation? Would the black community be backing him so hard?

2. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Oh, he wouldn't get much support in that case. It is his embrace of his "Blackness" that has moved so many "Black" people. He could have went the way of Larry Elder, Clarence Thomas, and Ward Connerly.

But he did not.

3. BallOfConfusion

BallOfConfusion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats what I thought. I'm sad that I would feel that way.

4. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Which half of him is white? Feet, elbows, and legs?

Opinion in reference to what?

These "news reporters" you speak of, are they white people or non-white people?

Where is this so-called black community? Can you point to it on a map? How do you know when you are in it? Ort above it? Or away from it? Or under it? Is this so-called black community anywhere there is a liquor store? Or a church? Or houses with bars on the windows? Is this so-called black community anywhere there are projects? Or gun stores? What are you talking about?

5. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Black Community / Black America
    by Calvin O. L. Henry
    December 28, 1995
    The Black Community is Black America. Members of Black America are citizens of the United States of America. Also they are citizens of the states, counties, cities and municipalities in which they reside. The Black Community is a concept that goes far beyond the color of one's skin. It is the experience of being Black in the United States. The Black Community is a society whose culture is waiting to be re-defined. This definition or concept is not designed to ignore other Blacks in the Americas, but to evolve the strength and power of Blacks as citizens of the United States of America. Too often Blacks in the United States function as if they are not citizens.

Black Community/Black America - EdChange

What Is Black Community?
    By Terri J. Haynes November 28, 2012

A scholarly survey of how African Americans struggled for a community identity before the Civil War — and how it affects us today.

Depending on whom you ask, the question of what most defines the African American community varies. Some will point to strides made toward racial integration. Others will point to the establishment of our own culture, traditions, and institutions that distinguish us from other races. And depending on whom you engage in this debate, most will admit, there are significant cultural and class divisions among African Americans. Creating a sense of community among African Americans is challenging, but imagine attempting this when the prevalent identifier was slavery.

In his book A Nation Within A Nation: Organizing African American Communities Before the Civil War, scholar John Ernest offers an insightful view of how African Americans to establish their identities before the civil war. This is a unique view since most accounts of this time in history focus on how the Civil War changed our status and sense of community. Ernest presents a view of the oft-overlooked organizations that were pushing for the establishment of an African American community well before the Emancipation Proclamation.

Ernest, a professor of American literature at West Virginia University, presents a historical account of how five types of social organizations — the church, Masonic lodges, conventions, schools, and the media/press — got their start. He traces how each attempted to meet the unique needs of the African American community

www.urbanfaith.com/2012/11/what-is-black-community.html/

6. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    I was on FB yesterday and a member which identified as white with the comment: I use to live in one of these "so called" black communities.......

I cringed at the "so called" Black Community

This group of FB members were talking about Blacks and the police shootings. They were saying within many post how if Black people would act in certain ways they could avoid these confrontations with the police.

OK. I'm new to FB. I don't know the rules or if their are any. I wanted to curse somebody out. Really. I did make a comment which drew several more comments from this group of white posters.

So, I thought it best not to post anything else. This wasn't my conversation. I got several replies using my name when I checked my email. I won't be going on FB for a while. It seems to encourage this behavior if an opposing POV is posted.

I'm only on FB for now because my sons wife is pregnant. They live in a different state and I want to be a part of their life thru FB for a min.