Black People : Hyatt Housekeeping: "Hyatt Hurts Us"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Gorilla, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
  2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    In this economy, all employers are taking advantage of their workers any way they can. Especially, low wage workers and it's now spreading to the regular and salaried workforce. Until the economy comes back, this is just how it is

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    In this economic climate.. as long as that treatment includes receiving a paycheck.. they should just shut up and do their jobs.. They are lucky to be working at all.. especially at that level of work.. meaning.. a level of work that basically anybody can do. non-skilled laborers have to endure whatever physical strains their work comes with.

If the workers of my business were telling people not to come to my business for any reason.. I would fire every single one of them.

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    No business or employer has any more power than we as people give them. All people require a certain level of respect, dignity and humanity no matter what they may do. Just as we need them to survive and live, they likewise need us to do the same...let both meet in the middle where both may prosper. Without people, no business prospers...without business, no people prosper and as such, none is more valuable than the other in that arena.

5. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Peace Keita..

Those are all some very high level ideas.. but are we sure that those extremes match this situation? I watched the video.. and I haven't heard or read anything that sound unreasonable as far as the labor is concerned. Honestly.. all I really heard were some women complaining about the work becoming more physical. And the employer side would just start hiring men.. and women with stronger bodies. There are thousands and thousands of people that would love to work in a climate controlled building running from room to room doing domestic work. Didn't none of them women look hungry or exploited.. and not one of them women showed an ounce of conviction anywhere in their bodies.. or voices.. or faces.. nowhere. It really just sounds like typical lazy American workers with their sense of entitlement being typical lazy American workers.. and complaining about the work that they are being paid to do. "Running from room to room".. "moving a refrigerator".. being physically tired.. yeah.. that's all part of working a physical job. They have Obamacare.. they have Worker's Compensation insurance if they get injured.. they have Social Security coming.. they have unemployment insurance.. they have all kinds of protections.. but the best thing they have is a secure job.

The American economy is basically gone.. and it really has not shown any signs of coming back for the average americans.. and certainly not for unskilled-laborers. They need a reality check.. If it was me.. I would line em up.. and have their replacements deliver them their final paychecks. And that would be a lesson to the fired and the hired at the same time..

Employer instincts die hard...

-Peace again..

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    It is true that most people have become spoiled in this society and many do not know what hard work actually is. We go to our faucet and turn it on to get water...whereby in many places on the globe, they search for water sometimes 8 hours out of the day. We go to our refrigerator and get out our meat or food to cook...whereby in many places they have to kill, clean and then cook their foods. As such, many of us have become products of our society and if we actually understand this society, it didn't get this way from those who govern it being workers. Now those who are workers have become very much like those who structured it in the first place and is also the reason why foreigners are able to come here and get the jobs we once had...because they are willing to work.

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I don't believe that anyone should assume that just because these women are speaking out about what they perceive to be labor conditions that are harmful to their health, that they are "typical lazy Americans" with a sense of entitlement. I also don't think they should be blown off as just women complaining about the work becoming more difficult. The attitude that these employees should just shut up and do the work because there are thousands of people who can replace them, because this is unskilled labor, I mean, where's the compassion? So, we're back to working like "slaves"...suck it up and just do the work?

And none of them showed an ounce of conviction in their voices, on their faces or their entire bodies? Should they have been cussin' and screaming? Then what would we have said about them?

Yes, these employees may have benefits that increase the quality of their lives and the lives of their families, but at what cost? If no one ever stepped up and spoke out about unfair labor conditions for unskilled laborers...Sanitation Workers Strike led by Dr. King...where would any of us be? Asking the community to not patronize a business is not new. These employees took great risk to speak out about this issue, and you know what, if they get fired for doing it, they may have a legal defense to protect them because that's called 'retaliation', which Title VII offers protection to claims of alleged discrimination based on race and gender. I'm not an expert on that law but it might be worth researching.

But more importantly, I'm a bit disturbed by some of the viewpoints that remind me of white folk during the Jim Crow Era. So, the Hyatt can simply do what it has always done and no one cares about the employees.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Thanks for posting, the Hyatt boycott, our most effective weapon, is in order. And since America is largely a service industry/provider, in terms of jobs rather than a manufacturing industry, the goal should be to raise the bar for these loyal workers with proper treatment, health care, etc.

Peace In,

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

[​IMG]

21 Signs That The Once Great U.S. Economy Is Being Gutted, Neutered, Defanged, Declawed And Deindustrialized

Once upon a time, the United States was the greatest industrial powerhouse that the world has ever seen. Our immense economic machinery was the envy of the rest of the globe and it provided the foundation for the largest and most vibrant middle class in the history of the world. But now the once great U.S. economic machine is being dismantled piece by piece. The U.S. economy is being gutted, neutered, defanged, declawed and deindustrialized and very few of our leaders even seem to care. It was the United States that once showed the rest of the world how to mass produce televisions and automobiles and airplanes and computers, but now our industrial base is being ripped to shreds. Tens of thousands of our factories and millions of our jobs have been shipped overseas.

Peace In,