Black Entertainment : Hustle and Flow

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by JaDo, Jul 24, 2005.

1. JaDo

JaDo Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody seen this new movie yet by John Singleton? I know one person who saw it n said it was dope. Wonderin what alla yall think. I aint seen it yet.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    just came out here friday gonna check it out one day next week i here it's tight !

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Please people, do we really need another rapper, drug dealer, pimp, whore black movie? If we keep supporting them, then we can't complain when they keep releasing these types of movies. Plus, this film was written by a white boy. So, we now have come to a point where white folks feel more than comfortable interpretting to us who and WHAT we are, and we pay money to go get disrespected.

P.S.......John Singelton is an Uncle Tom sell-out.

4. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I can tell you want no part of this movie Hustle and Flow Kente. I don't like the previews and Terrance Howard didn't look like he could sell the pimp or gangster type that well either but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though.

5. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Well, IMO, we need to stop getting so overjoyed just because there are more black people in a movie than whites. That doesn't mean the movie is worth seeing. It's funny how the most negative black movies, get the most financial backing and media attention, but anything that has a hint of decency and substance goes vertually unseen.

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +232
    So true, my brotha...so true.

7. LURK

LURK Well-Known Member MEMBER

Recording artist and Business Man...so lets do it
    Ratings:
    +10
    why dont you see the movie before you shoot it down?

i saw it friday and it was actually pretty good....

sure,the whole pimp/hustler thing is played out in movies,but understand,its a real subject and still goin on today everywhere u look...this film had an interesting view on that tho...and me being an artist who dabbles mostly with rap,i felt his struggle to be exactly similar of most rap artists who try to make it in the game....

and Terrence Howard is a good actor and played tha part well,and even I doubted he could..but check it out for yaself then judge...

peace yall 1 love

8. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

An interesting view???? What's good about a mid-thirties African American male pimp, who is trying to make his "dream" of being a rapper come true? Is that supposed to have redeeming qualities? Let's see, he's a pimp who is striving to elevate his life by becoming a rapper/ h*e. Not a doctor, not a businessman, not a good human-being, but a rapper. I don't have to see this movie to judge it, because from what I have read and seen on the trailer, I can pretty much form an opinion. I don't need to sit through 2 hours of garbage in order to get the point. So what was so interesting about? It's funny how the never feel the need to make a movie about a black man who realizes his dream is to be self-employed, instead of working for corporate america. That's reality too (and more realistic than actually becoming a rapper, but they don't want the little black kiddies to know that), but too many of us are content with seeing our worse, than our best. Then we have the nerve to make excuses for the lop-sided entertainment industry. By the way, isn't his "hit" song called "Whoop that trick"?

Hey everybody, I heard about this new movie coming out. It's interesting and has a good plot. It stars 50-Cent and it's called "Get Rich Or Die trying". I heard the acting is great and it's a realistic depiction of what all black males go through. :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    kente being an emcee or rapper is self employment! However i agree, thought it was written by a black persaon, depicting the way hip hop has helped many brothers go from positive to negative.

But After seing the behind the scenes special!!!!

i was like f- this movie!! Its written by a white boy, I think terrance howard is from memphis thats why he took the part. i also believe MTv is trying to 'blow memphis up" like they did california "gangster rap", southern rap ect.

This movie is about a pimp who pimps white girls, than his white homeboy inspires him to rap. Wasnt 8mile enough for the white boy rap films...please stop.

peace

10. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Not when you're on a label that's owned by white people and they tell you to act the way "black people act". Come on, we all know only a few artist actually call their own shots. The majority of artist, R&B and rap are not in control and they aren't the ones raking in all the money. They can't even be themselves. They have to adapt to whatever sells. Rappers and emcess aren't self-employed unless you are doing it independantly, with your own money and with your own hard work. Most black men/women aspiring to be a rapper or emcee don't have that as their dream.