Black People : Hurricanes And Slave Ships - Is There a Connection

Isaiah said:
Sister River, you're a native New Yorker, have you read this story?

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Could waves hit here?
By BRIAN KATES
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, January 1st, 2005

Six, maybe eight, hours. That's all it would take before the wave crashed through New York Harbor, sending ships hurtling onto shore and flooding lower Manhattan and low-lying neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Staten Island.
The sea would rush over the West Side Highway and the FDR Drive, taking cars with it. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of New Yorkers would drown in subway tunnels.

In Queens, Kennedy and LaGuardia airports would be under water.

Imagine a HUGE wall of water, bigger than last week's killer tsunami, racing across the Atlantic Ocean at jetliner speed, straight for New York.

Economic losses would be measured in the trillions.

That's what could happen if, as some scientists fear, a fragile volcano known as Cumbre Vieja, a world away from New York in the Canary Islands, splits apart and crashes into the ocean.

The volcano cracked severely in 1949 and is continuing to weaken, according to Steven Ward, a professor of theoretical seismology and geophysics at the University of California at Santa Cruz. "Cumbre Vieja is about 98% through its cycle" before it collapses, Ward said.

Ward and other experts admit there is no telling when this might happen.

"It is unlikely ... that the collapse is imminent," marine geologist Simon Day, of the Benfield Hazard Research Centre at University College in London, wrote recently. "There will be plenty of short-term indications that a collapse may be about to occur."

But, he and other experts agree, it is only a matter of time.

If the volcano erupts, Ward explained, the magma will heat water trapped inside. As the water expands, it will push off the unstable part of the volcano.

"It could be a piece of rock as large as 100 New York City blocks and a mile high," Ward said, outlining a worst-case scenario.

Billions of tons of falling rock would hit the water at more than 200 mph. The energy released by the collapse would be equal to the electricity consumption of the entire U.S. for six months, according to one estimate.

A dome of water 1,000 feet high and tens of miles wide would form, collapse and rebound. As the landslide continued to move underwater, wave crests and troughs would fuel the ocean's relentless onslaught.

"It will diminish in size as it moves forward," Ward told the Daily News. "But even if it loses 90% of its height it would still be huge. An 8-meter [26-foot] wave would be devastating."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/v-pfriendly/story/267299p-228989c.html

I think its important for us to note that this process at CUMBRE VIEJA is 98% complete according to the scientists who are studying it, so as the TEMPTATIONS might say, GET READY! Also, coming from the Canary Islands, there is the AFRiCAN ANCESTRAL CONNECTION, hmmm...

PEACE!
ISAIAH.______________

This is a startling article. I have family in Queens though I've never lived in NY. I was born in DC.

They've been talking about getting out of NY. I hope they hurry up and do it. This thing sounds like it could wipe out the entire Eastern seaboard.

Between California falling into the Pacific and the east coast being swallowed by the Atlantic looks like we will all be squeezed into the midwest

Keita said:
It's amazing how white people just won't come out and tell you something that they know. To the wise, they was giving us BIG TIME HINTS WHEN THEY MADE THAT MOVIE; "THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW". The point is that they know and that ONLY THE WISE ARE GOING TO PAY HEED TO IT.

Brother Keita, no doubt, and that is why I was so upset with African people in New Orleans... Like the elder rescued on Friday, lotta folks thought the reports about a category 5 hurricane destroying NOLA was just another in a long line of woof tickets sold by the meteorologists, and stayed home waiting out the storm... Even Fats Domino was reported to have said that's why he was trapped in his home when the floods came...

Well, I remember one day here in the city where we don't get hurricanes, but the wind was gusting at about 30-35 miles an hour... As I was walking to work, that 30-mph wind sucked a whole pane of glass out of a window, and sent it flying like a deadly frisbee at my head... It came outta nowhere! Further up the tree-lined street I could see this little tiny wind making thick old maples rock back and forth like it was nothing....

When I heard that winds upwards of 5 times stronger were heading for New Orleans, I thought instantly about NOLA's population, and her importance to African American culture, and said a meditation for her deliverance... Katrina passed by, but the Levee broke, and caught us "sleeping..." The wakeup call is for the living... I only hope we're paying attention...

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
Brother Keita, no doubt, and that is why I was so upset with African people in New Orleans... Like the elder rescued on Friday, lotta folks thought the reports about a category 5 hurricane destroying NOLA was just another in a long line of woof tickets sold by the meteorologists, and stayed home waiting out the storm... Even Fats Domino was reported to have said that's why he was trapped in his home when the floods came...

Well, I remember one day here in the city where we don't get hurricanes, but the wind was gusting at about 30-35 miles an hour... As I was walking to work, that 30-mph wind sucked a whole pane of glass out of a window, and sent it flying like a deadly frisbee at my head... It came outta nowhere! Further up the tree-lined street I could see this little tiny wind making thick old maples rock back and forth like it was nothing....

When I heard that winds upwards of 5 times stronger were heading for New Orleans, I thought instantly about NOLA's population, and her importance to African American culture, and said a meditation for her deliverance... Katrina passed by, but the Levee broke, and caught us "sleeping..." The wakeup call is for the living... I only hope we're paying attention...

Peace!
Isaiah
You've raised an important point brotha Isaiah. It wasn't the ancestor driven hurricane that destroyed New Orleans. It was the levee which they knew was a calamity waiting to happen.

It may be that the media just used the hurricane to cover up what was totally due to humane negligence if not malice.

Greetings All,

As painful as this may seem, I am a follower of my West African ancestral beliefs and many I'm sure heard of both Iya(s) Yemonja and Oya. One elder (a rootworker w/ no direct Yoruba or other spiritual ties) right before the storm hit said the spirit emanating from Katrina was that of a Black woman. Many traditional practitioners with a Bantu affiliation believe our ancestors are connected with water and as such, the Atlantic of the Middle Passage suffices as a domain for our folks. Of course, meterologists can explain hurricanes very poignantly with scientific terminology and I do not dismiss the official rendering, but I personally believe, in addition, there's a spirit for everything - including jail.

Blackbird

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back