Black Spirituality Religion : Hurricanes and Black Suffering

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Jul 28, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This thread is a spin off from brotha Omo's comments in brotha Sek's thread about dark deceased.

Omo brought up the subject of hurricanes and the notion that they may be God's vengeance against those who oppress Black people. Then there is the belief that the hurricanes follow the path of slave ships and are the spirits of those who died in the Middle Passage. There are also those who believe that the hurricanes are God's vengeance against the sin in New Orleans but we don't need to concern ourselves about them and their concept of god.

What we do need to consider is that which is based on facts not belief. The facct is that Katrina never touched New Orleans. The city was flooded when the levvy broke. FEMA had been warning for four years that it was just a matter of time. Possibly the only role Katrina played was bringing the rains that finally broke the camel's back, so to speak. But the hurricane provided the powers that be with the excuse they needed to cover up their neglegence. Considering the push for gentrification this could hardly be called accidental.

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    exactly.....The levees "broke" and since that area of the south (all spots hit across the coast) is now whiter than ever (result of gentrification,it is happening all over the WORLD with our people and others,just look at the "middle east").

I know that the hurricanes that hit that area of that place called Amerikkka are more common than those that hit the northeastern coast of that place...

I hear it is only a matter of time before the northeastern coast is struck hard by a hurricane,and if you want to tie it to slavery, the northern states of that ideology called Amerikkka began slavery but then took their business south because of the climate...

3. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I would like some factual information on this if you guys have some references, I'd appreciate it.

4. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    Although I did read in jet magazine that new orleans is 80 percent white now.

5. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
  6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Thanks for posting this sister River. In reference to your statement "Then there is the belief that the hurricanes follow the path of slace ships and are the spirits of those who died in the Middle Passage" I personally believe this to be the case and as I was in the process of "prospecting" real estate at that time, after closing on a home purchase in Dallas I also believe I was directed by the "ancestral spirits" to go North instead of into the Delta. To the land where my Father's family was rooted instead of my mother's ancestral home of New Orleans and hurricane Rita was supposed to head right over Dallas but when it came it went east toward Shreveport and reminded me of the hebrew account of the "Passover" in Egypt. However, the eerie thing is that my people in NOLA had earlier roots in Mobile Bay, where the hurricanes did land. Right in the same are that the LAST SLAVE SHIP to the united states landed!!

Did you know that in both areas, NOLA and Mobile, there were cemeteries where the dead were actually WASHED AWAY from their gravesites!!

I had long planned on going to NOLA and visiting the mausoleum of my grandfather and his elders buried in Mt. Olivet which is on higher ground and I believe was left intact. Furthermore, for those who were saying that's what they get for their sins (i.e. "vodoo") the CHEZ VOUDOUN was also LEFT INTACT and UNTOUCHED.

You are absolutely correct sister river because in both areas which sustained the most damage, in NOLA and Mobile Bay, both areas were planned for "re-development".

Remember what you suggested to me about "landscaping"??!! I now wonder if there are any Black folks getting landscaping and construction contracts in the Delta. Unfortunately I could not move on it in time because I had to focus on re-settlement first in north Texas.

Speaking of "re-gentrification" I was in OKC a few days ago and went to Boley. My next trip will be to Tulsa. I'm actually retracing the steps of my Elders who moved from Alabama, to Louisiana, Texas and OKlahoma, then New Mexico and California. A few folks here have posted concerning "Black Wallstreet" in Tulsa and I noticed all through north texas and southern OK that there is new road construction going in guess what direction??!!

My family STILL owns two lots---160 acres and 40 acres---in Stroud, OK....on the road to Tulsa....they have been fighting encroachment from the Sac and Fox Nation over easements on our property of which our family owns mineral rights (natural gas).

The point is, I think in areas where our families still are landowners we need to do our own development and "re-gentrification". Sorry to say, I can't really even consider "going to Afrika" when it seems my African ancestors are leading my hand HERE...!! (and i thank them for Their guidance and protection!)...

:bowdown: :bowdown:

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Sister cursed heart,

I doubt if there is any source I can provide to you that can be considered "factual" information since I am stating "opinion" and sharing experience/perspective. Please excuse me in this regard because I usually can quote or cite references to most of my statements which are of a historical nature. I doubt if any of us can PROVE there was/is a government/white racist conspiracy and this is one of those things in the realm of SPIRITUAL WARFARE that I find myself meditating and praying on, asking my ancestors for their guidance and protection, and trusting not my own "knowledge" but my INTUITION or "gut feeling". If it were not for trusting my "gut feeling" I most likely would not be here to relate any of this since I did no less than six shuttle trips back and forth to los angeles and dallas at this time last year, mostly on the highway between july to october. i was on the road "heading south" during each weekend that the hurricanes hit and had scouted out real estate to purchase from new mexico (near las cruces) all over to Mobile, Biloxi and Pascagoula. I SEE the development taking place all over the "New South" ( I also have visited my daughter in Atlanta/Stone Mountain/Lithonia over this period of time)...I SEE it going up towards Tulas and from what I have read it's going further North into Arkansas and Tennessee.....Fayetteville, Fort Smith, Ashville.....former SLAVE HOLDING regions which at one time had large Black populations...

I LOOK and take pictures of developing sites...of shopping malls which are under development.....new housing/construction sites....and I SEE THE SAME PATTERN!

I LOOK for Black landscapers, Black gardners, Black engineers, Black bricklayers and masons, Black Construction companies, Black technicians (i.e. painters, plumbers, designers) and I see very few if any at all and I have new housing coming up all around me....new roads...new banks and WAL-MARTS EVERYWHERE....

Therefore, this is one of those things that I cant provide evidence in writing and it's not just a matter of "re-gentrification" because Black folks (where are we going!!??) are NOT VISIBLE even in a lot of these NEW SUBURBS!

8. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    CHEZ VODOUN?
    wHAT IS THIS EXACTLY?

9. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
  10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF