Black People : Hurricane Relief Effort?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by BrownSkinBrotha, Sep 30, 2005.

1. BrownSkinBrotha

BrownSkinBrotha Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Peace to all, I am fairly new to this forum but I am wondering with a membership that exceeds 9000 (give thanks) is there a organized relief effort for Black people going on here?

Excuse me if there is for I have been unable to locate anything in that regards and if there is an organized relief effort on this site could someone please point me in that direction.

But if there isn't one, lets get one started today we have all seen the images of the pain and suffering that is taking place, what would it take (if one isn't in place already) to get on the right side of history?

give thanks BSB

2. BrownSkinBrotha

Ratings:
    +1
    Can a moderator respond?

Peace can a moderator respond? thanks

3. BrownSkinBrotha

Ratings:
    +1
    Amazing, all these Black people and not one reply!

4. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Interesting isn't it...

Tom Joyner has a relief effort which you can donate to :

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/relief/

I have faith that he and his staff will make sure these
    funds get to "Our" folks

Peace ~

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Welcome to the forum my brother...

Your question is a good one, but I am not the one to answer it... I am trying to keep us abreast of the goings on with some continnuing postings in the aftermath of the NOLA castastrophe... Brother Malique Raheem, former Black Panther started the Common Ground community clinic just 8 days following the hurricane, and the concept has taken off down there... I will get back to you with the information on how you might be able to contribute to his efforts...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. BrownSkinBrotha

Ratings:
    +1
    Give thanks for the information on BlackAmericanWeb Im already a part of that effort, I am looking at ways this wonderful community can do its part.
    Tell me, is there a section of the site where relief related threads are located besides the open forum?

7. BrownSkinBrotha

Ratings:
    +1
    I am familiar with their efforts and I look forward to your continued contribution and thanks for your response!

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686

Brother BrownSkinBrotha ... no, there is not an official effort by this community to help with the relief of our Sisters and Brothers suffering from Hurricane Katrina.

I'm in Mobile, AL and i too was impacted by her. I was without power for about a week, and had some property damage. While it was a very challenging time, to say the least, it's virtually nothing compared to those in New Orleans. By the time my power came back on, and i could see what was happening to others on the Gulf Coast, my heart broke, as i'm sure many hearts did.

Unfortunately, i personally am not able to do anything (directly) to help those Sisters and Brothers. Every dime that i have goes to maintaining this community for those 9000 you mentioned (plus the thousands that never register, but use our resources), and my home. It's quite a struggle. There has been a campaign here for over a year, asking the Membership to help financially support this community ... Become a Premium Member ... so that we can remain a source of information, teaching, rejuvenation, etc. ... all the things we are, and have been for many years. Perhaps even being in a position to help others because of our surplus, but such is not the case right now.

Yes, we have over 9000 Members but very few who interact here, are moved to financially help. This is a phenomena of our community in general. We are slow to financially help each other it seems. I believe this is due to the hundreds of years of conditioning we all are victims of. Helping our own does not come easy to the majority of us. It is my hope that this community can help us overcome this.

While it would be a good thing for us to be able to create some sort of "Katrina Hurricane Relief" ... it would be in the midst of wondering if this community will even be here tomorrow, for this is a concern of mine daily. It's hard to focus on anything else, when your own house is coming down.

In addition, i'm not in a position to be responsible for monies designated for others. I don't really know how it works, in a national sort of way, or how i would get the help to those who need it. I don't mean to be ugly or uncaring, but i don't see how i could take this on right now, and do a good job of it. So we've not done it.

I believe that the federal, state, and local governments have a responsibility to take care of their citizens. These Sisters and Brothers, victims of Katrina, have worked and paid into this system and are due proper care. In spite of this, it is a wonderful thing to witness when people all over the country and world go the extra mile and help those in need.

Katrina did not do anything new to us, not really. Those people were suffering before she came. The poverty, unemployment and devastation were present before Katrina, so it should not come as a surprise to any of us, that there was no immediate desire by the government to address those things after Katrina. Katrina simply took the cover off the ugliness that this country has done, and continues to do to Black people.

Brother BrownSkinBrotha ... it is a beautiful thing, when we are moved in our Spirit to do something for our people, for where we live, for those places that cater to us. If you or anyone is moved to help the victims of Katrina, there are LOTS of organizations that have the resources to accept your money and get it to those in need. I'm not able to do that, but please don't let this hinder your desire. Maybe some in the Family can share the names and links of such organizations with you.

I hope i've answered your questions.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Alright, good brother, glad to know that you're up on that piece!(smile!)

For those os the family that may not know about brother Raheem's efforts in the Algiers section of NOLA, here's the web address...

http://www.commongroundrelief.org.

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. BrownSkinBrotha

Ratings:
    +1
    Sister Destee my heart is saddened by the information you shared with me, honestly from the looks of this site, money doesn't appear to be the issue.

After what you have shared with me about how the storm affected you directly, I can do nothing but give thanks that you and your loved ones weren't harmed, Sister don't give up on our people yet!!!

I will take your advice and continue to attempt at getting our people to support each other regardless...also rather I continue here or not I will send some monies to support your site.

ps thanks for the reply, to be honest I was wonder why it appeared to be so much apathy at the top when clearly there was none, thanks for clearing that up!