Black People : Hurricane Ivan

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sangofa, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Sangofa

Sangofa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    My heart goes out to those that are being affected by the hurricane. Also to those that lost love ones. Everyone will definately be in my prayers. I hope that those in this forum that are affected by the hurricane are safe. I hope that Destee is safe. I pray that God protects each and everyone.[/FONT] :(

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Bless your sweet darling heart Sister Sangofa :love:

Thank you for your love and concern. I am okay. I am currently in Illinois and my son, who was in Mobile, left a couple of days ago with some friends headed for Houston. They decided to make a fun trip out of this circumstance. So me and mine are all doing fine, again thanks so much for your concern.

I do have friends in Mobile and the ones i've talked to are all doing fine. It seems that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. God is Good.

I too pray for those who have lost life and property.

Thanks again for the love and concern Sister.

:heart:

Destee

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT HURRICANES?!!

YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT HURRICANES?!

I just got hit by Frances a couple weeks ago. All I did was pray that Ivan did not come for us. There are still people without power, trees in the middle of the streets and sidewalks, backyard screens ripped and torn apart. Frances costed us about $10-$15 billion. Things are very expensive down here. You can only wonder what it feels like to be in a gas line for 6 hours, and then by the time you get to the pump, there is no more gas. Being in the same house for 96 hours without any food, power, or electricity? It is NOT something pleasant. Misinformation being spreaded around the radio (since that was the only power we had (Batteries) and riots breaking out at gas stations closing the stations down, waiting in line for 5 hours to get plywood, that was our region's experience. We lost alot, but I need to admit, we are nothing campared to Ivan. I feel bad for the West Indies, and for Alabama and Georgia and the rest of the south who is getting hit. My blessings go out to all of them. But us, we are still far from recovering. Schools were closed for a whole week, and some people just got back home yesterday from the hotels. We went to the grocery stores just to find out that there was no ice, or batteries. Some people did not have water! Thank god I did, but COLD water. I had to take 4 cold showers.

You see, Frances was Category 3, and Ivan is Category 5, so they are being hit much worse than we were hit. 60+ people died in Jamaica! That is very sad.

Anyway, I just pray to God that all of us who were hit by the fair share of hurricanes are as safe as possible. God is with us.

Cedric Denson

4. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cedric,
    Sorry to hear about that. Living in Seattle...I can't begin to imagine what you all are going through down there. I was surprised when they said they pretty much evacuated all of New Orleans...I have a lot of friends down there.

Hurricanes are frightening to me, even if you do get a warning.

5. Sangofa

Ratings:
    +2
    Destee I am glad to hear that you and your family are alright :sand: . Here's a hug:grouphug: to you and your family. I have been trying to keep up with the hurricane and it's hitting all kind of places throughout the south and the carribean. Then you have all the people that have lost their lives and property. The whole thing saddens me. I'm still worried because I have family and friends in Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. I have no clue as to if they are okay or not. I hope that God protects them from hurt, harm and danger. :( Why does this have to happen?

6. Sangofa

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you all will be able to get things back in order so that you can move on with your lives. It won't be easy and it won't happen over night. I know that it is going to cost a arm and a leg to rebuild your town.

I used to live in Jacksonville Florida and I am glad I'm gone. I love Jacksonville and I wanted to move back but after this I don't think I will.

I moved back to California and we are known for earthquakes. We don't have them that often but the same thing that is happening back south can happen in California.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    When I heard Ivan hit Mobile, AL...I immediately thought about Sister Destee & her family. I am glad that everyone is okay!! However sister Joyce lives in Pensacola, FL which was hard hit as well. I ask that everyone pray for her safety.

8. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yea we got hit by Frances and Charlie, our phones were out for a week we went like 3 to 4 days without power. It is normal around here.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Glad to see you are doing well too brother Manasiac.

10. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    This is why I live in Michigan. Nothing happens is Michigan. Cept for that tornado a few years back. And those blizzards every couple of years.

But, I have family all over the South and Southeast. So far, everyone seems to be fine, thank God. Glad you all are okay, Destee, Pan, Cedric, Manasiac.......