Black People : Hurricane Charley's Response Vs. Katrina

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Sep 3, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    << Responding to Hurricane Charley

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/08/20040827-9.html

Background: Federal Efforts to Help Florida Respond to Hurricane Charley

Hurricane Charley, a Category Four hurricane, with sustained winds of 138 mph, hit Florida on August 13. Twenty-six Floridians lost their lives as a result of the hurricane, and more than 100,000 Floridians required emergency shelter. FEMA projects that about 280,000 Floridians will register for assistance, compared to 151,134 after Hurricane Andrew.

President Bush approved a major disaster declaration for the state of Florida the day Hurricane Charley made landfall.

Including the emergency request that will be submitted to the Congress, the Federal government is expected to provide approximately $3 billion in assistance and loans to help Florida recover. Actions taken by federal agencies in response to the disaster so far include (as of 8/26/04):

Registering approximately 136,000 assistance applicants
    Approving over 13,500 applications for more than $59 million in housing assistance
    Establishing 12 disaster recovery centers, which have assisted nearly 19,000 disaster victims
    Deploying medical teams that have seen nearly 3,000 patients
    Disbursing 1.2 million liters of water, 8.1 million pounds of ice, and 2 million meals and snacks
    Delivering over 20,000 rolls of plastic sheeting and nearly 170 generators
    Treating more than 2,900 individuals through FEMA Disaster Medical Assistance Teams, supporting damaged hospitals >>

* Please note also the people displaced by Hurricane Charley are called 'Floridians' instead of refugees.

<< Responding to Hurricane Katrina

AM - http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1452468.htmSaturday, 3

September , 2005 08:00:00
    Reporter: Michael Rowland
    ELIZABETH JACKSON: As the massive hurricane relief effort in America's south picks up speed, US President George W. Bush has declared the initial federal response to the disaster inadequate.

Four days after Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast and much needed supplies are only now just starting to flow into the devastated city of New Orleans.

Large contingents of US troops and national guardsmen have only now arrived in an attempt to restore law and order.

Mr Bush toured the area today, describing the destruction as worse than imaginable, and he's also vowing to redouble efforts to help hurricane victims.

Our North America Correspondent Michael Rowland reports. >>

* And as it has already been pointed out Hurricane Katrina victims are called 'refugees' not Lousianians, Alabamaians, or Missippians.

Anyone still willing to argue that the government didn't respond because of lawlessness in New Orleans? Maybe if the government responded the day the diaster hit, things wouldn't be as out of control as they are now for New Orleanians!

2. Kamau~

Kamau~ Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    this is a great example for the house negroes that claim race relations have come a long way in this country...no matter what we do in this country....blacks will always be considered second class citizens...if anything, i hope that this horrible event galvanizes black unity in this country and helps get the MAN's foot off of our neck....because if we have to wait for the man to help us...we will probably be found floating belly up...

great post karma

3. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Maybe we should all aspire to be refugees? At least our problems would get a second look.

4. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    This is a great comparison between the two disasters and it definately puts things in black and white. (no pun intended)

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    From the day these lands were established as a Britished colony things have been black & white. Anyone who believes different is either blind or naive.

6. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I wasn't speaking of my statement in terms of race, I was speaking about the comparison being so bluntly obvious for those who still need proof. Speaking for myself, I've never been blind or naive about race relations in this country. I just don't believe we have to lay down and die and continuosly argue amongst ourselves, just because that is what they wish and what has always been. That's always been my main point.

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    we know it goes on. and it will continue to go on; there will be a fresh atrocity next week, and next month, and and and ...

we must turn our backs on these brain damaged Humans for long enough to get Us and this Planet back in order!

no sense in bleeting about the mess; it will continue!!!!​

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    THIS IS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE KARM..........................

I'd like to see how the media mind controlled victims respond to this myself!!

peace