Science and Technology : Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org, that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

Most victims don't even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.
read more

houserunner

Feb 12, 2010
One thing I am conscious of in this digital and on-line age is security. I am secure on-line as I am going to be as far as I know... knowing that all is NEVER absolutely secure on any level in anything. Build security, some entity will find intrusion points. It's an ongoing process and will be forever prevalent as we continue down the road of technological progression.

Shikamaru

May 7, 2011
The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org, that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

That is not entirely correct.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/internet-users-warned-of-big-blackout-in-july-20120329-1w172.html#ixzz1sfediQGw

The web blackout from July 9 will be enforced by the FBI, which is shutting down several web servers through which infected users' web traffic has been travelling.
They are shutting down those (web) servers. They aren't shutting out or off the Internet.
Either remove the malware and fix your OS or reinstall. You'll be back up in no time.
Also according to the article, it changes your DNS settings.​
If you are in Windows, this is extremely easy to fix. It isn't that much more difficult in Linux either.​
Your Domain Name resolution may not work, but you would still be able to connect to sites via IP (Internet Protocol).​
The Internet connection of an infected machine would still be connected and working to the Internet. A particular service would not functions as expected after the blackout.​
Furthermore if one's machine is infected, that person is doing a big no-no. They are running their machine as administrator or under an administrator context.​
If they stop doing that, that will solve most of that person's performance, stability, and security issues.​

MS234

Mar 1, 2010
With the religious prophecies and analog age is dying, I was wondering what would be the "new" boogie man of the digital age and here we go. Like Shikamaru said, just getting your OS re-installed should do the trick. Also start backing up your important data, which we all should be doing anyway. Never use hard drives as ultimate storage, because they can fail or crash. Online back up can be an option, though I don't trust it. I like flash drives or burning data to a DVD. There is not cure all because you could lose a flash or scratch a DVD. That's why I try to back up important stuff on at least 3-4 options.

Ultimately this is just a big scare. People will be fine. I'm thinking you can even reset your DNS or IP. I don't know if it will help but it's worth a try. Keep your machine clean, and use AV (anti-virus) where you can. To me Internet Security Suites are good, http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/3247/2010_suites.html

This is a free software I've used in the past. Use this only if you have idea what you're doing. If not get someone who can help if need be.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/Complete-Internet-Repair.shtml

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Jails / Prisons : US government gave Nation of Islam hundreds of thousands of dollars to teach federal prison inmates Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Destee Jails / Prisons : Obama Plans Clemency for "Hundreds, Perhaps Thousands" of People Sentenced for Drug Law Violations Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Ankhur Black People : Children useless? Bail out Criminals but fire hundreds of thousands of teachers? Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Hundreds of black deaths in Summer of 1919 are being remembered African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Thomas Jefferson Owned Hundreds of Slaves—Now a Black Woman Will Run His Foundation African American History Culture 0
Enki Black People : Hundreds of Chicago O'Hare airport workers go on strike Black People Open Forum 3
Liberty Black People Politics : Anonymous Publishes List Claiming To Identify Hundreds Of Ku Klux Klan Members Black People Politics 8
Gorilla Science and Technology : Critical crypto bug leaves Linux, hundreds of apps open to eavesdropping Science and Technology 6
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Afro-Mexicans Demanding Justice for Malcolm Shabazz Attacked by Hundreds of Cops Black People Open Forum 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Hundreds believed injured in Texas fertilizer plant blast Black People Open Forum 9
noor100 Black People : American Dream: Food loaded into Dumpsters while Hundreds of Hungry Americans Restrained by Police Black People Open Forum 8
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Abortion Doctor Accused Of 'Snipping' The Necks Of Hundreds Of Live Babies Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : West Nile virus kills 17 in Texas, sickens hundreds Black People Open Forum 27
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Faith Eric Holder and IRS Administrators Due to Advise Hundreds of African-American Pastors on How t Black People Open Forum 6
Amnat77 Algeria : Now revolution takes hold in Algeria: Hundreds arrested as '30,000' riot police try t Algeria 2
I Africa : Hundreds of miles of tunnels in Africa? All Things Africa 3
Destee Sudan : Hundreds Die in Sudan Fever Outbreak Sudan 0
P Pan Africanism : Hundreds of black children 'vanishing' in London! African American History Culture 22
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 'I Am Worth It': Why Thousands of Doctors in America Can't Get a Job Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Thousands dead but no prosecutions - why Liberia has not acted Liberia 0
Discerning Black People : False Covid-19 information is killing thousands Black People Open Forum 1
Discerning Black People : Covid-19 vaccines may save thousands Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Scientists say thousands of years ago West Africans migrated to east and southern Africa via Zambia Zané Lombard Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Money Business Jobs : Killer Mike's majority Black and Latino owned online bank already has 'tens of thousands' on the waiting list Black Money Business Jobs 0
HODEE Black Money Business Jobs : ALL OVER AMERICA THOUSANDS OF OPEN AMAZON JOBS ( few thousand ) & LINKS = MAKE THAT MONEY :cool: Black Money Business Jobs 14
Destee The Police : Detroit 911: Thousands in crisis left waiting for Detroit police Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 15
nilevalley Black People : Would it be an national emergency if tens of thousands of blacks died from opioid overdose? Black People Open Forum 5
Destee Nigeria : Thousands displaced as police raze Lagos' Otodo Gbame Nigeria 1
OldSoul OldSoul : Did You Know That Thousands Of Free Black People Were Killed In Concentration Camps In The U.S? OldSoul 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Walruses by the thousands forced ashore by melting sea ice Science and Technology 0
RAPTOR Law Forum : Forged Drug Test Results May Free Tens of Thousands From Prison Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Sharpton is being paid thousands of dollars to not cry 'racism' at large corporations, it is claimed Black People Politics 15
Alarm Clock Black People Politics : The Presidents Loan Changes cause Thousands to leave HBCUs Black People Politics 7
Silko Haiti : DOMINICAN REPUBLIC REVOKES CITIZENSHIP FROM THOUSANDS OF MIGRANTS & THEIR CHILDREN African American History Culture 52
noor100 Black Muslims : U.S. Looted Thousands of Iraq's Cultural Treasures Islam Study Group 0
Z Black People : TIMBUKTU BURNS *THOUSANDS OF ANCIENT MANUSCRIPTS DESTROYED & LOOTED Black People Open Forum 39
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Thousands of Florida ex-felons may not know they can vote Black People Open Forum 5
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Malware may knock thousands off Internet on Monday Black People Open Forum 4
Ankhur Black People : Thousands Protest Dirty Deals at UNs Druban Climate Change Conference Black People Open Forum 1
Writeous1 Black People : U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission destroyed records of thousands of investigations Black People Open Forum 9
Amnat77 Black People : Arab unrest spreads to Syria, thousands march Black People Open Forum 0
R Black People : Freaks on myspace expose thousands of college black females Black People Open Forum 1
Monetary Black People : Thousands of Birds Drop Dead Over Australia, Cause Unknown Black People Open Forum 4
Mad Skillz Black People : Condoskeeza Goes Shoe Shopping while Thousands Die In New Orleans Black People Open Forum 2
HODEE Black Poetry : Thousands of ears. No one heard Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : $24 million spent on Fort Worth toddler’s life support; hospital says Texas may intervene Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Mental health experts warn Derek Chauvin trial may revive feelings of racial trauma Black Health and Wellness 4
Discerning Black People Politics : Blacks May Die in a New Mid-East War Black People Politics 5
HODEE Black People : Covid-19 vaccines may have potentially unpleasant side effects Black People Open Forum 2
OldSoul Black People : The 200,000-year-old city found in Southern Africa may rewrite history Black People Open Forum 0