Black People : Human Issues & Black Progress

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Apr 30, 2006.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    If you attended the Kola Boof chat, there was a portion where she was talking about how some issues are human ones.

I'm going to safely assume that all of us believe we, as black people, are human and therefore subject to human flaws. These flaws could be anger expressed inappropriately, envy/jealousy, hatred of one's self, lack of compassion, gender wars, etc. These flaws, while problems for EVERYONE, pose a particular issue for us when trying to do progressive things, and/or just getting along with one another. Can we get rid of them or at least learn how to deal with them so we can move on to the next level?

2. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Below are some examples according to my own opinions and/or experiences:

1) From my experiences, a lack of sisterhood is a problem for many black women. I say 'many' because I've seen a lot of unnecessary spite which lead to gossipping and other forms of emotional or physical mistreatment in my own personal sphere in real life. Having been friends with other groups of women online and off, I realize this is a human problem. However FOR US this HUMAN problem may interfere with how we interact when trying to improve ourselves. How can we address this problem, if from your experiences you also see it to be one too?

2) I believe Isaiah posted a comment one time saying how W.E.B Dubois got Marcus Garvey deported. That really stung me, because that was absolutely RIDICULOUS. I know he had a different stance and everything, but if his overall concern was black progress (which in his mind it was), then why do something SO DIRECT against another fellow black man? You don't have to support something because it's black (if it doesn't agree with your goals), but you shouldn't try to eliminate it either. As long as people aren't getting PHYSICALLY hurt, the action NEEDS to be allowed to take its course. Which ever one is the most "right" will prove itself in the end.

So my thing is, maybe it's another issue of jealousy... he didn't like the attention Garvey got, and then did something that was inappropriate. That is another HUMAN issue... how does it get resolved in the context of black progress?

3) As a piggyback to # 2, to my knowledge, Malcolm X got killed by his own (black NOIs). If I am misinformed on this, someone can correct me. But if this is correct, then why in the hell would they do that? From what I know Malcolm X changed his stance after his trip to Mecca... something many of them didn't like. Okay, fair. So why then just do their own thing and let him do his own thing? Why KILL the man?

I realize that this is an extreme example, but considering its historical significance, I think it merits discussion. I also realize Cointelpro's role in screwing things up... but if they had resolved those issues TO BEGIN WITH, Cointelpro could only do so much... the NOI would've found some other way to do what had to be done. So again, if wanting to keep things at one stance is a HUMAN problem, what can be done to resolve it?

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    One thing we all must understand and deal with is our own inner action
    the flaws we commit and learn by them we have to also build a self guide
    to help control our outburst of jealousy or saying / making inappropriate things
    or speech/ written text and so forth.

How do we deal with it , to resolve it is to recognize it and recondition ourselves
    by reconsidering the facts first or retreat from it and often peace awaits but we
    have to know this before we can make that next step , all humans in life has
    some form of issues we just need to learn them and idenify them and control them
    everyone have to recondition themselves to reach the next level to bring bout unity.

4. Khonsu

Khonsu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Hotep Hau

Until ( Nubians ) can respect other people BELIEF'S etc etc . Rather they accept or not . Put away their Ego .And stop trying to get over on each other , And treat their brother & sister like the way they want to be treated themselves , And come together as one Body / Mind / Soul . And build A Nation for ourselves . Until Then For-Get-It . ( That's my take on the matter )

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    you on point and i agree we all in the same boat rockin it , tipping it over
    when we should gear it up stream every belief should be respected in a
    fair act, the first line is the mirror looking at one self to correct self and
    set a guide to respect and honor thy brother and sister then one ready to
    take on other task and steps to bring peace and harmony wit unity , i agree.

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Good thread topic

Sister karmashines, you ask a very provocative question that has no simple answer. There are so many issues embedded in the minds of our people that propel us into different cycles of behavior, how can you put a finger on the pulse of the problem much less find a solution?

What is that saying? "To err is human"?

In my opinion, there is so much about us as a people that can be improved, starting with finding better ways to eradicate a sick mindset brought on by racism. But at the same time, there is so much about us still that reveals our greatness. Is there any measurement that shows us how one outweighs or compares to the other?

We're human. Yes, I have similar experiences with sisters that you mentioned. There are times when we don't have each other's backs. We gossip. We envy. We crush. We're human and as such, we exhibit the same ills that women of other races do. But you know what else I think? We take on the personality of the host environment. America is full of "sickness" and it's contagious so it's no wonder that we will, at various times and in various ways, begin to exhibit similar illnesses. We have the resources, but we don't utilize them well as a community to bind us solidly together and to shield us from oppressors.

But just how messed up are we really? How can we tell? By the evening news? By the data published about us? By what we see individually with our own eyes? By the number of Black women that Black men date who don't respond to them like they want them to? By the Black men that Black women want but who won't act right? Are they our measuring stick? Maybe there isn't as vast a difference among us as we may believe, regardless of our social or economic status, political or religious views. Maybe the problem is that we don't spend enough time talking TO (not preaching or talking at or about) each other. Maybe we don't make a good faith effort to break down barriers between us that were built by an oppressive society. Maybe we don't spend enough time recognizing that all of us probably started out in the same or similar situation and none of us can afford to turn our backs on another.

I believe we can do better as people period, by starting to work on ourselves to improve our minds, and our spirits. But it takes some special kind of "something" that compels a person to even want to wake up from a deep sleep that has a thick wall of "comfort" for many of us.

Who teaches Racism 101 in our schools? Why don't we have Saturday Schools that serve to detox us from the affects of racism? Some of us are able to do this on our own. Others may not understand yet why it's important--or at least I think it's important.

How many of us are angry, ignorant, stupid, asleep, afraid and simply just don't want to deal with what's happening to us? Maybe we're living in a time when the weak and the meek shall outnumber the strong and the bold. Maybe we're doing the best we can right now and all we can do is continue to keep talking to each other like we are here at Destee. com, until someone or a group rises out of the darkness of silence, speaks boldly in a language that Black people will recognize and choose to follow their lead.

7. Mayn

Mayn Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Ohhhhhh, NNQueen, when I read this, I literally broke out in goose bumps. This is so on point. We're really not that different. Many of us just seem to get so frustrated with each other about just about any difference.

I don’t think that some of us can relate at all to some of the different experiences or feelings that some others have or have had; therefore it’s difficult to understand why some of us think the way we do or do what we do.

What would happen if we were to really listen to the other person WITHOUT judging. If we forced ourselves to withhold judgment, we could possibly understand the person better. Now I’m not saying accept the person’s reality as ours, (that's usually not possible) but even fully hearing their take on things might help us to close the distance between us and them enough to enable us to be able to work with each other and to build with each other.

I know this is not as clean-cut or easy as it sounds because many times the other person who you may be doing your best to listen to, will try to force their truth down your throat. But what if those 2 rules were observed in a discussion: no judging and no attempt to impose their truth? I submit that we could move closer if just those 2 rules were observed.

8. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Excellent Mayn...I have to give you a rep for this!

9. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Thank you all who have contributed to the thread thus far.

I hope more of US learn how to implement these things in the course of trying to achieve anywhere we are.

If these suggestions had been implemented back in the day by EVERYBODY working within activist groups (speaking in general), Malcolm X might still be here giving his advice as an elder.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Very good, thought-provoking questions and concerns. For once, I will keep it brief and to the point concerning "what can be done to resolve it" and i will answer from the personal perspective of why I am not here in these forums as often. And let me be clear. It has NOTHING to do with a change of heart concerning this community. I LOVE DESTEE and have the utmost respect for the FAMILY she has brought togethere her and in the past few moths I made a decision to discontinue posting on other websites with the exception of one, which i use for networking and it is NOT the one that some folks may think.

My answer to the question, point blank....HEALING!

We are a deeply scarred and wounded FAMILY and the "culture" of our youth is squarely COUNTER to that of which the Black Power and Civil Rights movements sought as a changed "way of life". And I squarely place BLAME upon MY GENERATION, the very same BLACK "baby boomers" and "Gen-X" that, for convenince sake, sold out to white supremacy.

At this time last year I was a worn, torn public school teacher who was at the TOP leadership position among the staff at my school but my priorities were mixed up and I placed my job and every thing else above my own HEALTH.

The biggest change in the past 11 months is that I have made improving my health my NUMBER 1 priority. And I am paying out the pocket for all medical and fitness related costs without a job and paid health benefits. But I am on the path of RENEWAL and at the lowest weight and increased anaerobic level in over NINE YEARS, since a knee surgery in 1997. I am depleting my savings, overextending my credit and dealing with increased criticism from loved one's for not getting out and even looking for a "nine-to-five" but I have also been focusing on what Sister Destee has accomplished here and finally, after 20 years, decided to risk everything and develop my own BUSINESS in spite of and despite of every single critic and naysayer. I also own and operate THREE websites and do not charge for membership, recieve no income from advertising and do not actively solicit donations. Furthermore, i have accounts set up at three other websites which I use for social networking so I am busy self-managing SIX (6) websites with NO FINANCIAL SUPPORT from this or any other community.

But I am in the best health that I have been in in over 15 years and have a rapidly growing network, and am learning that my personal health and well-being are short lives while creditors and bill collectors will be here long after I pass into the ashes to ashes and dust to dust of this carbon-based lifeform.

lol!....and i said short and to the point....folks....bringes are burning down...coalitions are melting away and the forces of white supremacy are using use as "cannon-fodder" and "battle-rams" in an ecsalating xenophobia which is also increasing our alienation with Diasporic Blacks...

We need to DETOX and CLEANSE ourselves FIRST from the poison we are pumping ourselves with and PREPARE OURSELVES for OPEN WARFARE and confront white supremacy beacuse we are being encircled and they are CLOSING IN on US...

And Brothers and Sisters can't fight a good fight if we are willed with TOXIC PETROCHEMICALS and mind and sense numbing preservatives which are eating away at our vital, internal organs...

I spoke about this is the Diabetes thread and have lost at least 19 lbs since! My workout on the threadmill has incread from a low of 10 minutes to a minimum of 35 and my threshold level increased form 152 to 177 inless than a week...My neighbors think I'm crazy because I stopped using the power lawn mower and go out 2 or 3 days a weeks and use a manual push mower...

and in the process I am losing my appetite for not only red meat but fish and chicken as well because I am "resurrecting" my LIGHT-BODY...

when I spoke a few weeks ago about "throwing political correctness out the window" that has worked for me because being "PC", following mainstream convention of THIS WORLD is "political folly" and has shown to profit US, Black people in amerika ZERO!

remember sister discusion I have had with you about some of the issues we engage in here and what happens when discussion starts to go in the direction of SOLUTIONS??

either the discussion digresses, typically folks get out of hand and RIGHTFULLY SO the threads are closed (and they should be once proven unproductive) and then another thread pops up rehashing the same, age-old "problems" and discussion of SOLUTIONS "mutates".

I can't even discuss issues with some folks who I see making no PERSONAL CHANGES in improving their own mental, physical and spiritual well-being. I have my daughter to thank for that by reminding me about "feng-sui" AND it has me now more focused on ENERGY HEALING, and this is creating for me a "protective shield" a "energy force" that is becoming increasingly unpenetrable by negative forces....

I recently came to the conclusion that this LIFE should be ALL ABOUT LOVE and everything else is "illusion". I am now trying to follow that in my interaction here which is why, for example i decided a few months ago to NEVER, EVER disagree with sister DESTEE in these threads "openly" and to hold my "alpha male ego" in check. And, if I can't show Destee LOVE, above all else, and before all others in HER HOUSE I don't deserve to be here...

This goes to my second answer to the question...it has to do with improving our INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS with each other, but this is futile if our personal energy and well-being is unbalanced. I have oeverspent a lot of time posting on numerous websites, in coutless foorums concerning the philosophy of MAAT but what profits from the energy spent if I am myself continually UNBALANCED.

I am dedicating the rest of this lifetime to these TWO karmic goals so that I may achieve a higher EHTERIC BEING, so as not to continually repeat the karmic mistakes of this present and past lives so as not to pass down negative energy to my POSTERITY....

one love!
    Omowale.