Black Entertainment : Hudson to play Winnie Mandela amid legal threats

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Amnat77, May 16, 2010.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Sat May 15, 2010, 1:27 pm EDT
    Buzz up!

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson is to star in a biopic of former South African President Nelson Mandela's ex-wife Winnie, whose lawyers have already contacted the film makers threatening to block it.

"Winnie," which also features Terrence Howard as Nelson Mandela and is based on a book by Anne Marie du Preez Bezdrob, starts shooting in South Africa on May 31 and could be ready for theatres by spring next year.

Producer Andre Pieterse said Winnie Madikizela-Mandela had asked to see and approve the script before the picture went ahead, but that its backers had refused.

"A lawyer's letter came some weeks ago," Pieterse told reporters at the Cannes film festival, where Hudson and Howard appeared to promote the production.

"It was a benign letter and yet it contained the threat of an indictment, an interdict that could stop the picture.

"She (Madikizela-Mandela) ... would like to see the script and approve. (But) the film will be made based on a screenplay that was well researched and without any interference.

"If the film maligns her in any way then there will be legal basis for her to take action."

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies...lay-winnie-mandela-amid-legal-threats-reuters

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow...thankz for sharing this news

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I have mixed feelings about this one. First, I can completely understand why the South Africans would be upset; Winnie Mandela is an important figure---a living, cultural legend in her own right, so to have someone outside the culture attempting to interpret her story is the not best of choices (But then, again, look who's apparently behind the film.). Personally, the last thing I want to hear are fake-*** accents rolling out of the mouths of Jennifer Hudson and Terrence Howard (who, to me, is an even more ridiculous choice for Nelson than Hudson is for Winnie). I'd like the benefit of hearing a GENUINE accent and seeing someone inside the culture playing the role. On the other hand, it is still very irritating that we are still so heavily ethnocentric, that there is a refusal to honor our racial connections. Maybe Hudson will surprise us and do justice to the role and blast the notion that Black people can't play Black people---culture aside. Let's see how this one pans out.

4. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I don't even think Winnie is concerned about the nationality of the actress, It's more to do with the fact they (the director, producer, Hudson) have not spoken to her personally..i mean Jennifer should know better, at least pick up the phone and speak to the lady, or better yet a chance to go to South Africa...the issue stinks of typical Hollywood arrogance and i will not support the movie.

So is Terrence Howard gonna play Mandela?..lol.

5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Pardon me, but I do believe an issue has been made of her nationality, and since I've not seen any evidence that Jennifer Hudson is exactly motivated by 'the revolution', is it shocking that she would not have, to much public awareness at least, spoken to her? My point is that we need, as BLACK people, to find some kind of balance in our cultural-racial communications with each other.

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    the absolute bottom line is: if someone is going to do a movie/book/whatever portrayal of SOMEONE THAT IS STILL LIVING, then that person should have a whole bunch of involvement in the development!!

never mind "wait til it's done to see if anything is amiss": if she isn't involved/consulted or has any sort of editorial input into the making of this movie THEN SOMETHING IS ALREADY AMISS!!!!!!!

SSDD: "never mind asking/consulting the "black people" just tell them who/what/how they are about!! and if they dare complain about it, just give them some more 'bright and shiny' to distract them." smh

WAKE UP, AFRICANS: YOU STILL GETTING THE WOOL PULLED OVER YOUR EYES AS LONG AS YOU STAY STUCK IN THIS DREAM/DELUSION OF "Black".

7. HyperKill

HyperKill Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +319
    How come nobody gets hyped up with whites playing ancient Egyptians every night on Discovery and History channel? It seems we would rather rabble over our ethnic divides of today rather than figure a way to unite only if temporarily against those who distort our most prestigious history dead in our silent faces.

8. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    This could be a good thing as long as the story is respectful to the people they are portraying.

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Jennifer Hudson upcoming film (Winnie) say she upset that Winnie Madikizela-Mandela
    lawyers are making threats about the film they are demanding script approval

Hudson say based on the life of winnie is a story that need to be told .

10. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Are you guys actually reading the article? Winnie's life story is being told but NO ONE has consulted her!:court: not even the actress playing the part, that's the gripe. People need to stop jumping to conclusion and stop putting word in others mouths

Now whether SOUTH AFRICANS are having problems with an American playing part should be a separate issue, this article is about WINNIE.