Black Parenting : HPV Vaccine

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Hi Family,

I thought about posting this thread in the forum for Black women but decided against it because Black men might want to weigh in on the discussion.

I have a granddaughter who is a pre-teen and in recent years I've been hearing a lot about a virus that can cause cervical cancer and can be sexually transmitted. Although my grand is not sexually active yet, it doesn't hurt to start thinking early about ways my daughter and I can help teach her to act responsibly and to protect her as much as possible when she does.

Pharmaceutical companies and professionals in the medical field are promoting the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for girls. I'm always concerned about potential negative consequences when live viruses are deliberately pumped into our bodies. But the risks you take by NOT having our girls vaccinated are just as compelling.

Studies about affects of the vaccine are being done and wouldn't you know that the "guinea pigs" once again are African American women.

"Because the study was conducted in just one community of mainly African American women, further research is needed to confirm the results and see if the findings apply to the population as a whole."

The following link is to an article that reports positive results of the study...but still...

http://www.businessinsider.com/unva...aign=Feed:+businessinsider+(Business+Insider)

What would you do in this situation? Give the vaccine and reasons why or not give the vaccine and reasons why not?

Hi Family,

I thought about posting this thread in the forum for Black women but decided against it because Black men might want to weigh in on the discussion.

I have a granddaughter who is a pre-teen and in recent years I've been hearing a lot about a virus that can cause cervical cancer and can be sexually transmitted. Although my grand is not sexually active yet, it doesn't hurt to start thinking early about ways my daughter and I can help teach her to act responsibly and to protect her as much as possible when she does.

Pharmaceutical companies and professionals in the medical field are promoting the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for girls. I'm always concerned about potential negative consequences when live viruses are deliberately pumped into our bodies. But the risks you take by NOT having our girls vaccinated are just as compelling.

Studies about affects of the vaccine are being done and wouldn't you know that the "guinea pigs" once again are African American women.

"Because the study was conducted in just one community of mainly African American women, further research is needed to confirm the results and see if the findings apply to the population as a whole."

The following link is to an article that reports positive results of the study...but still...

http://www.businessinsider.com/unvaccinated-women-protected-from-hpv-by-vaccine-2012-7?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: businessinsider (Business Insider)

What would you do in this situation? Give the vaccine and reasons why or not give the vaccine and reasons why not?

Peace NNQueen.

I look at it like this: If my great grandmother didn't need it.. my grandmother didn't need it.. my mother didn't need it.. then my daughter doesn't need it.

The profit motivation of pharmaceutical companies outweighs their humanity.. and I don't trust them.. or any doctor that pitches drugs as solutions. I'll stick with the "no sex till mariiage" ideal with the "100% Safe Sex" fall back plan. I've heard some absolute horror stories about HPV vaccination.. and I can't risk my daughter.. if it went wrong I would end up in prison..

Hi Family,

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Thanks for sharing something I was totally unaware of NNQueen. Based on the link source you provided, I'd probably recommend against taking the vaccination due to reports of "Herd Immunity:"

Good News
The study is "good news that comes surprisingly soon," said Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of the department of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University. Schaffner said he would have expected a larger portion of the population needed to be vaccinated, including boys, to see herd immunity.
"It's impressive if other studies can confirm it," Schaffner said.

Peace In,

Skuderjaymes, hello--it's a pleasure to meet you and thank you for responding to this topic. I watched the video and it was very compelling. It helped me to make a decision about whether or not to advocate for the vaccine. Interestingly, all of the women/girls in the video were white when the article I posted indicated that the tests being done on the affects of the vaccine are in the African American community. I am so curious to know the socio-economic levels of the Black women being given the shot and more details about the side effects as discussed in the video.

Obviously, it's critical that Black women become more knowledgeable about this vaccine and stop allowing doctors to administer medicine to us that has the potential to diminish our quality of life or worse, kill us. I guess that could probably be said about most vaccines but here is yet another example of where Black women in particular are treated like lab rats for the greater population.

Hi Family,

http://www.businessinsider.com/unvaccinated-women-protected-from-hpv-by-vaccine-2012-7?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: businessinsider (Business Insider)

I'm really shocked that you posted this. I would have thought that with all the years, the postings, writings, researched material and the like, that you would have been the very first person to investigate anything white people got to say. I guess I'm always living and learning, huh?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back