Black Parenting : HPV Vaccine

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by NNQueen, Jul 12, 2012.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Family,

I thought about posting this thread in the forum for Black women but decided against it because Black men might want to weigh in on the discussion.

I have a granddaughter who is a pre-teen and in recent years I've been hearing a lot about a virus that can cause cervical cancer and can be sexually transmitted. Although my grand is not sexually active yet, it doesn't hurt to start thinking early about ways my daughter and I can help teach her to act responsibly and to protect her as much as possible when she does.

Pharmaceutical companies and professionals in the medical field are promoting the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for girls. I'm always concerned about potential negative consequences when live viruses are deliberately pumped into our bodies. But the risks you take by NOT having our girls vaccinated are just as compelling.

Studies about affects of the vaccine are being done and wouldn't you know that the "guinea pigs" once again are African American women.

"Because the study was conducted in just one community of mainly African American women, further research is needed to confirm the results and see if the findings apply to the population as a whole."

The following link is to an article that reports positive results of the study...but still...

http://www.businessinsider.com/unva...aign=Feed:+businessinsider+(Business+Insider)

What would you do in this situation? Give the vaccine and reasons why or not give the vaccine and reasons why not?

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Peace NNQueen.

I look at it like this: If my great grandmother didn't need it.. my grandmother didn't need it.. my mother didn't need it.. then my daughter doesn't need it.

The profit motivation of pharmaceutical companies outweighs their humanity.. and I don't trust them.. or any doctor that pitches drugs as solutions. I'll stick with the "no sex till mariiage" ideal with the "100% Safe Sex" fall back plan. I've heard some absolute horror stories about HPV vaccination.. and I can't risk my daughter.. if it went wrong I would end up in prison..

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Thanks for sharing something I was totally unaware of NNQueen. Based on the link source you provided, I'd probably recommend against taking the vaccination due to reports of "Herd Immunity:"

Peace In,

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Skuderjaymes, hello--it's a pleasure to meet you and thank you for responding to this topic. I watched the video and it was very compelling. It helped me to make a decision about whether or not to advocate for the vaccine. Interestingly, all of the women/girls in the video were white when the article I posted indicated that the tests being done on the affects of the vaccine are in the African American community. I am so curious to know the socio-economic levels of the Black women being given the shot and more details about the side effects as discussed in the video.

Obviously, it's critical that Black women become more knowledgeable about this vaccine and stop allowing doctors to administer medicine to us that has the potential to diminish our quality of life or worse, kill us. I guess that could probably be said about most vaccines but here is yet another example of where Black women in particular are treated like lab rats for the greater population.

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I'm really shocked that you posted this. I would have thought that with all the years, the postings, writings, researched material and the like, that you would have been the very first person to investigate anything white people got to say. I guess I'm always living and learning, huh?

6. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    The HPV vaccine seems pretty safe, and it prevents a few different types of cancers. That being said, a random Internet forum isn't the place to go to for information about making health decisions.

Grab some information online about the vaccine (from like the FDA, the CDC, or some other reputable source) print it out and go over it with whoever and then go over it again with a doctor. After all that, they'll be able to help decide if it's right.

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    We're all living and, hopefully, learning, Bro. Keita. Yes, I've done my research on this topic but even then, sometimes something comes along to cause you to waver a bit...to question and maybe even cause you to doubt yourself a bit. I admit, I don't have all the answers or see all the 'signs' so, I'm just glad that Destee is a place I and others can come to for validation or correction, when that happens. Sorry if I shocked you. I'm human :bowdown:

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    It's so hard knowing what to do, and what not to do.

When the expert professionals say your child needs "this" medication ... and all you have is your limited knowledge, and great hope for their well-being ... man oh man ... it's just not easy!

As someone said, we gotta do as much research as possible ... ask as many questions as you can, getting answers from as many as possible too!

It seems as time grows, the risks of living increase!

Krazee.

No matter though Sister Queenie and all, as i'm sure you're going to guide the babies in the best way you know possible, which is all any of us can do.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

9. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    As with all vaccines there are risks, but the benefits outweigh the risk. Afro-Americans tend to be obsessed with conspiracies (rightfully) but the fact remains that their life expectancy has increased and quickly closing the gap on whites and way ahead of Africans. So if anything their situation has improved not worsened in that sense (although deteriorated in others).

It's like the same people who say back them people lived longer when in fact in a hunter-gatherer society one would be lucky to live to be thirty. Maybe not lucky because they would have been chronically hungry. Ignorance and misinformation are rife.

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Unfortunately the mentality of anti-vax proponents undermines how vaccines actually work.

I guess it's an easy position to take when things like Polio aren't hitting people hard like it used to.