Black People : Howard University Vice Chair: Howard Could Shut Down In Three Years

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Alarm Clock, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    [​IMG]

AFRICANGLOBE – Is Howard University on the verge of closing its doors?
    According to the Huffington Post, in a letter sent to her fellow Howard University board of trustee members, vice chairwoman Renee Higginbotham-Brooks warned that without immediate changes to management and leadership, the school could shut down for good.
    The letter was leaked to the Chronicle of Higher Education, who published it on their website.
    http://www.africanglobe.net/headlines/howard-university-vice-chair-howard-shut-years/

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    It doesn't matter too much, white people are basically running it anyway and sit on the boards that make decisions for the place. My step daughter just left there about a year ago to finish up here at NJIT. I was getting the 411 on Howard every week that she was there as well as the changes that were happening internally.

3. lbranch

lbranch Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +33
    This is an interesting position that the institution finds itself in. I suggest that it impacts more than just the institution. In a post on my blog (lessiebranch.com), I discuss this issue. In it, I mention the stated implications that Vice Chair Higginbotham-Brooks raises, the possible shuttering of the institution. An implication I raise, however, deals with an issue of preference for Blacks.

lbranch

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Since fundraising was a critical complaint, perhaps they ought to do like the white folks and name "academies" after brutha donors whose income comes from the black community under the umbrella of Howard University:

Dr. Dre Jimmy Iovin Donate $70 Million To USC For New Academy

May 15, 2013 | Filed under: Featured,Headlines | Posted by: Editorial_Staff
    [​IMG]
    Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine
    AFRICANGLOBE – Super-producer Dr. Dre (born Andre Young) and influential music executive Jimmy Iovine are using parts of their substantial fortunes to help cultivate the next generation of music business moguls. It was announced that the pair is giving the University of Southern California $70 million to create a new music academy.
    “The vision and generosity of Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young will profoundly influence the way all of us perceive and experience artistic media,” said University of Southern California President C.L. Max Nikias in a statement.
    The four-year program will teach undergraduates the necessary skills to be successful in the music industry. Courses focusing on engineering, computer science, fine arts, graphic design, business, and leadership training will be taught by members of USC’s Thorton School of Music, Roski School of Fine Arts, Marshall School of Business, and Viterbi School of Engineering.
    According to a statement issued by USC, “industry icons and innovators as visiting faculty and guest speakers” will also take part in the program. It will also provide one-on-one mentoring by professors.
    “Academy students will have the freedom to move easily from classroom to lab, from studio to workshop individually or in groups, and blow past any academic or structural barriers to spontaneous creativity,” said Erica Muhl, the first director of the new academy, in a statement.
    USC’s Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation is set to open in the fall of 2014 with an initial class of 25 students.