Black People : How You Affect Others Daily

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Qatavia, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Qatavia

Qatavia Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    As the pace and fullness of modern life serve to isolate us from one another, the contact we do share becomes vastly more significant. We unconsciously absorb each other's energy, adopting the temperament of those with whom we share close quarters, and find ourselves changed after the briefest encounters. Everything we do or say has the potential to affect not only the individuals we live, work, and play with but also those we've just met. Though we may never know the impact we have had or the scope of our influence, accepting and understanding that our attitudes and choices will affect others can help us remember to conduct ourselves with grace at all times. When we seek always to be friendly, helpful, and responsive, we effortlessly create an atmosphere around ourselves that is both uplifting and inspiring.

Most people rarely give thought to the effect they have had or will have on others. When we take a few moments to contemplate how our individual modes of being affect the people we spend time with each day, we come one step closer to seeing ourselves through the eyes of others. By asking ourselves whether those we encounter walk away feeling appreciated, respected, and liked, we can heighten our awareness of the effect we ultimately have. Something as simple as a smile given freely can temporarily brighten a person's entire world. Our value-driven conduct may inspire others to consider whether their own lives are reflective of their values. A word of advice can help others see life in an entirely new fashion. And small gestures of kindness can even prove to those embittered by the world that goodness still exists. By simply being ourselves, we influence other's lives in both subtle and life-altering ways.

To ensure that the effect we have is positive, we must strive to stay true to ourselves while realizing that it is the demeanor we project and not the quality of our wondrous inner landscapes that people see. Thus, as we interact with others, how we behave can be as important as who we are. If we project our passion for life, our warmth, and our tolerance in our facial features, voice, and choice of words, every person who enters our circle of influence will leave our presence feeling at peace with themselves and with us. You never know whose life you are affecting, big or small. Try to remember this as you go out into the world each day.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  3. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    Unless we inspire, help or enlighten or pray for at least one stranger...

we are then wasting our time!

4. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    this was very inspiring...

Pay it forward, others, maybe not all, will catch on...

I'd like to share about Something pretty cool, that happened to me a few weeks ago..

I was in line at a Starbucks, in the morning, while on vacation, and when I approached the window to pay, and take my order, the Cashier told me that I was the third person in line to recieve a gift from the person in front of me.(WTH!?!, I thought.).. What had happened was, a few cars ahead of me, they started a chain where as they paid for the person that was in the lane behind them..I was totally shocked by this friendly gesture. So of course, me being me, I kept this little game going, paying for the persons order as he sat in line behind me, totally unaware of what was about to happen. As I drove away, I glanced in my mirror, and this guy was all smiles. His total only came up to maybe a $1.00, and some change more than what mines would have been, but continuing this gesture felt good...

So now, when I'm in the mood to surprise someone, I start a chain, maainly in a line.. and just say "pass it on"

Try it sometime, its a cool feeling...

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    It's true! We influence others in some way or another; and sometimes, that influence comes a bit later than the actual encounter, in the form of them remembering what you might have done for them.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you; so, if you'd like to see a smile, hear a kind word, have someone show compassion toward you, then it should start with yourself, and certainly it will come to you twofold!

6. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    something else to b mindful of: cut folks some slack. maybe put yourself in their shoed. the person who behaved in a dismissive manner was probably preoccupied with other thoughts: a death in the family. a sick child...shrug..

in my line of work, new admits will fight, curse, attempt to elope, attempt suicide, etc... but youve gotta look at it this way: youve got this person ...in a new area...among strangers, etc.... and its all done against their will. these ppl feel very much out of control. so...its a very normal thing for ppl to lash out (or isolate themselves) in fear. eventually the pt will become acclimated to their environment and the stafff.

but...in the meantime, if they act out? you can't take it personally. its an adjustment period. plenty wld say otherwise but it (healthcare) isn't just about fixing physical issues. we consider and are attentive to emotional and spiritual issues as well....this is the nursing model/discipline, of course. but medicine IS catching up.