Black Education / Schools : How would you revamp and revitalize the Teaching profession?

Teaching Methods
Student-centered methods, espoused by education theorists such as John Dewey, Jean Piaget, and L.S. Vygotsky, form the basis of progressive education philosophy. Children are viewed as having natural curiosity and an innate desire to learn, and, thus, should be given the opportunity to acquire knowledge on their own with limited interference and direction from the teacher. In contrast, teacher-centered methods are favored by traditionalists and are based on the view that children learn from those who possess a greater knowledge base, especially their teacher.
Some of the major student-centered concepts include:

• Constructivism. This is based on the premise that students construct their own knowledge rather than having that knowledge imparted to them by teachers.

• Discovery Learning. Children can only learn and understand if they discover information for themselves. Teachers are supposed to facilitate this discovery process.

• Thematic Learning. Students use themes to study subjects and issues indepth. Students are to explore and answer their own questions.

• Cooperative Learning. Students do classwork in teams or groups. Students teach each other and teachers are to facilitate student interaction.

• Critical-Thinking Skills. Rather than simply digesting facts, students
must actively apply knowledge, solve problems, and develop conceptual
understanding.

Some thing I came across that might be of interest to some here.

AXE!

Include in this the 'Open Classroom'.

I would amend the curriculum...
I would make sure kids understand entrepreneurship at a young age.
More courses would be career driven in the high school level.
I would have a life 101 course in high school. Covering areas such as credit, debt, financing, interest rates, etc...

Peace Mr. King,

What impact would your suggestions have on the Teaching profession? or on The education system as a whole?

Teaching Methods
Student-centered methods, espoused by education theorists such as John Dewey, Jean Piaget, and L.S. Vygotsky, form the basis of progressive education philosophy. Children are viewed as having natural curiosity and an innate desire to learn, and, thus, should be given the opportunity to acquire knowledge on their own with limited interference and direction from the teacher. In contrast, teacher-centered methods are favored by traditionalists and are based on the view that children learn from those who possess a greater knowledge base, especially their teacher.
Some of the major student-centered concepts include:

• Constructivism. This is based on the premise that students construct their own knowledge rather than having that knowledge imparted to them by teachers.

• Discovery Learning. Children can only learn and understand if they discover information for themselves. Teachers are supposed to facilitate this discovery process.

• Thematic Learning. Students use themes to study subjects and issues indepth. Students are to explore and answer their own questions.

• Cooperative Learning. Students do classwork in teams or groups. Students teach each other and teachers are to facilitate student interaction.

• Critical-Thinking Skills. Rather than simply digesting facts, students
must actively apply knowledge, solve problems, and develop conceptual
understanding.

Some thing I came across that might be of interest to some here.

AXE!

Chuck:

As long as home training isn't accepted on the same level as public and private schooling, i. e. no certificate is being issued, leading on to either being enrolled in a vocational school/college/university/etc., many will continue to pursue the already established courses, literally and otherwise...

FYI...

Peace Mr. King,

What impact would your suggestions have on the Teaching profession? or on The education system as a whole?

In regards to the education system as a whole, I think if we focus on some of those key areas in the suggestions I mentioned, our youth will be better prepared for the "real" world. From personal experience, many of us don't learn about the importance of credit, interest rates, and debt until we make some personal mistakes and have to dig ourselves out of it. And that can take years. Look at credit for instance. You can make some mistakes when you're young and it will stick with you for years... I call it a "credit felony". Things like this continues to create that wedge between the "haves" and "have nots". It just seem like at times we are always playing catch up. I call it "reactionary education". I think we need to be more proactive dealing with those issues.

As far as the impact on the teaching profession, I think it will enrich the creditibilty of the profession. Think about it... For many kids their teacher is their first major influence on how they view or perceive things. Sometimes it seems as if teachers are no more than "babysitters" at times. It is true that some of these things should be taught in the home. However that's not always the case. Something has to be done...I think the system needs a make over!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back