Black Relationships : How would you feel if your child called your ex's new spouse mommy/ daddy?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by kente417mojo, Aug 10, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    If you divorced or broke up with a woman/man that you had a child with, would this be an issue? How would you feel if your child called your ex's spouse mommy/ daddy? Would you correct them and tell them "don't call him daddy, you only have one daddy?" Or would it be ok? Do you think your ex should allow this? Would you want someone's kid calling you mommy or daddy..if you weren't their biological mother/father? Do you think this would make you feel less involved or less loved because it feels like you're sharing your child with another man or woman?

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    My statement is irrelevant, but just for the record, I spend time with hundreds on kids in a 24 hour day. 70% call me "daddy" simply because I do what fathers do.

3. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    I wouldnt like it
    But man thats life I guess
    There is no real way to control that
    I dont think there is
    I would be very upset talk with them
    But what really could I do

4. mchinadoll

mchinadoll Well-Known Member MEMBER

Litigation Paralegal
    Ratings:
    +0
    My son calls my husband by his first name. His kids call me Ms. M. It doesn't matter to me, if they called me Ms. M, or by my first name and my husband says it doesn't matter to him either. Our kids are lucky, they have the love and support of an extended family. My son knows his father well and spend just as much with him as he does with my husband who lives in the same house with him. My husbands sons recently came to live with us, and there mother, is in there life as well.

I guess it all depends on the dynamics of the situation. Some children only know there stepparents as there parent so in that case calling them daddy or mommy shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't want my son calling his stepmother mom, even though she is good to him, he calls her Ms. J. I called my stepfather dad, as he was the father who raised me to an adult, and when he died I felt like I lost my father. My biological father is a live and well, and I call him dad, but I never felt like he was to me.

5. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    I feel what you are saying
    But to come and pickup your kids
    Then hear your kids call
    Someone else daddy would rip my heart
    Its just the thought of it
    That hurts I think any man would feel this way