Black People : How/Why do you celebrate christmas??

It just show how different and diverse some of our families and experiences are. For example, my family who were slaves in Alabama in the 1840s would have celebrated Christmas differently from my family who were Free Blacks in Louisiana during the same era. Therefore, when my grandparents and parents joined with each other they brought their varying traditions, cultural, religious and spiritual.

So, many of the older generations were deeply into Mahalia Jackson and other more traditional gospel singers. And yes, in regards to the brother's question/statement concerning the song 'White Christmas"...#7.
http://www.theblackgospelblog.com/2006/12/twelve-classic-gospel-songs-of.html?m=1

Thank you for this information brother!! I sometimes forget that my experience isn't the same as everybodys. I suppose that if I had grown up in the church, I may not find Black people singing european songs about a european holiday puzzling. I was raised all over So. Cal so, the concept of a "white x-mas" is also strange but those things in themselves aren't the worse things that people could do.

If I may ask, at what age did you stop celebrating the day as your parents, grandparents, etc did and, why??

Thank you for this information brother!! I sometimes forget that my experience isn't the same as everybodys. I suppose that if I had grown up in the church, I may not find Black people singing european songs about a european holiday puzzling. I was raised all over So. Cal so, the concept of a "white x-mas" is also strange but those things in themselves aren't the worse things that people could do.

If I may ask, at what age did you stop celebrating the day as your parents, grandparents, etc did and, why??

I didn't stop altogether because even today I attend family get togethers just not as often. So for me in terms of 'celebrating' I would say that when I was in junior high and movement on withy Dad that ended my church/choir participation.

But even to this day I will attend church or family functions and here is where I differ from most of you.

Black gospel songs are not European songs. They are songs which relate the Black experience and Black devotion to a Black conceptualizations or relationship with Black Jesus.

It's origin is not European. It's origin is Ethiopian and where I live and work, most if my students are Ethiopian American, and for them this is a tradition which is over 2000 years old.

It is a tradition which was part of Ethiopian culture before the birth of Jesus, and actually began among the Ethiopians with the birth of King Menelik I and it was reinstituted by the Kandake Amanitore when she assumed the throne in 1 BC in anticipation of the birth of Khrist (In Ethiopian Kristnos).

I didn't stop altogether because even today I attend family get togethers just not as often. So for me in terms of 'celebrating' I would say that when I was in junior high and movement on withy Dad that ended my church/choir participation.

But even to this day I will attend church or family functions and here is where I differ from most of you.

Black gospel songs are not European songs. They are songs which relate the Black experience and Black devotion to a Black conceptualizations or relationship with Black Jesus.

It's origin is not European. It's origin is Ethiopian and where I live and work, most if my students are Ethiopian American, and for them this is a tradition which is over 2000 years old.

It is a tradition which was part of Ethiopian culture before the birth of Jesus, and actually began among the Ethiopians with the birth of King Menelik I and it was reinstituted by the Kandake Amanitore when she assumed the throne in 1 BC in anticipation of the birth of Khrist (In Ethiopian Kristnos).

Ok, but I didn't say Black gospel songs as a whole were european but, that the songs about xmas were. I will look into the Ethiopians and King Menelik I, if they are somehow tied to the carols that I spoke of< I will find that quite interesting!!

Ok, but I didn't say Black gospel songs as a whole were european but, that the songs about xmas were. I will look into the Ethiopians and King Menelik I, if they are somehow tied to the carols that I spoke of< I will find that quite interesting!!

You would have to locate or be in touch with someone who attends an Ethiopian orthodox church. Their liturgical music are hymns do yes they are different from Black gospel and European songs. But with similar themes in regards to Jesus (Iyasus). But there are some Ethiopian clerics who got a musical style that infuses jazz and soul music.

Have you ever listened to African Head Charge?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back