Black People : How/Why do you celebrate christmas??

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Da Flash, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Da Flash

Da Flash going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    professional internet surfer
    Ratings:
    +405
    I was having a conversation with a family member the other day and they just couldn't grasp the concept of not celebrating christmas. My wife and I stopped celebrating christmas years ago and each year if we go to a family members house on 12/25, we inevitably have to explain why we no longer observe the day as we once did. I usually explain that I am an agnostic and that my wife is a christian and that the whole story/fable just doesn't fit nicely into either catagory. We both acknowledge that since most people are not working that day, that it makes it a good day to enjoy the company of our extended family and some good home cooking!! As I speak to friends/co-workers/neighbors I get a multitude of reason why people celebrate but I want to know why do Black people celebrate the day??

Is it a day that you observe because you're christian and if so how??

Is it a tradition that has been observed in your family for longer than you can remember that you just carry on because it's always been that way?

Do you believe that a chubby european will bring you present depending on wether you've been naughty or nice?? (from the people that I've spoken to, you'd be amazed!!!)

Hopefull this doesn't come across as patronizing, as that is not my intention.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, regardless of how you do or don't celebrate it!!!

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Family tradition. It goes back to pre colonial Africa in general and I am not just talking about Ethiopian.

Sometimes I spend this day with family and sometimes I just spend it as a day of rest and relaxation.

3. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    This year was the first that i decided not to celebrate it. i am heck of alot less stressed this time around:
    I still spent time with family
    The regular bills will be paid in time
    I wasnt throwing elbows at brawl-mart
    I covered my ears when hearing tv commercials trying to convince me that buying their product would be the perfect gift to show my loved ones i cared the most

4. Josef

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    So, im good. The kiddos are at their moms house foe a few days. I didnt totally escape the hustle an bustle. I ran the ex around from store to store, it was kinda sad yet funny as she broke down crying because she had ran low on funds and her family wanted her to pitch in for tonights dinner. All i could do was listen to her. I do feel her pain yet not any longer. I remember years on end we would not plan the whole year, then at the last month we would pay for it till taxes came back...not me no more. Lol

5. Josef

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    My apologies for not answering how and why:
    today my christmas is being spent alone, i made my rounds yesterday, normally its with the fam but i decided that today would be my day for catching up with myself, clean, clean, grocery shop, etc...
    Hope it doesnt seem selfish

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Even if it does sound selfish some times that's what you gotta do. Catch up with yo self. I don't play "Santa" or Saint Klaus. I allow others to play that role. As long as they don't force me to do do. Otherwise, I play St Michael. I give money away as an incentive to my students who get straight A's and when I'm done Santa gotta do his thing cuz I'm done with mine until the new year.

7. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    On the real, most celebrate it because of Western socialization. What do you think all of those Christmas TV-programs are about? The children watch this, the adults watched them, the custom is renewed.

The anti-christmas narrative isn't even African. "How the Grinch stole Christmas" touches on that intellectual current. In fact I caught that crazy program recently: Toys for kids, Dinner, Santa and Carolling.

For the most part, like most of us, I only do the dinner. But it's significant in the West for it's symbolism: Christmas. One can debate the accuracy, but who is interested in that?

What's sad is that Black people are still working for White people.

Kwanzaa starts tomorrow. But how many have days off for Kwanzaa?

8. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    You might be interested in this book:

[​IMG]

I'm not, but I read an overview. It looks like we celebrate it the same way we used to--only now . . . actually I don't really know what's the difference. :-\

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    You stated in previous post "like most of us, I only do the dinner". How do you know that most of us' ONLY do the dinner? It then is not surprising that "I don't really know what's the difference." so if you don't KNOW why speak to it?

As profound as you think you are coming across today questioning the logic and reasoning of others, you are making NO SENSE!

10. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    We didn't have a tree or lights up this year...well at my house I don't, cause I'm too lazy to put anything like that up and take it back down.
    But at my parents they usually do, they're good for that kinda stuff...my dad just gets in that Xmas mood and starts putting up stuff.
    We gather with other family just like every other holiday and eat my grandmother's cooking....It's something we have always done.
    I was never taught about Santa growing up. My parents made it very clear who the gifts were coming from...My mom would always say that Santa was from the devil LOL or something like that...and my other family members would ask me what I wanted, so it was obvious who it was coming from.
    My other family is Jehovah Witness and they don't celebrate, but they make sure they come over the DAY AFTER to get a plate while the rest of the family is long gone...which pisses me off.
    Anyways, Christmas is really just for the kids...and since my daughter is the only true child who acknowledges Xmas, she's the one who gets all the presents...which is always fine by me.
    The women talk and talk about everything under the sun...and the men watch and talk about sports.
    But I'm just there for the food and seeing my family since we all live far and are busy.
    I don't see it as being anything else but that...