How unhealthy can stress be?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by HoneyBrown05, Oct 12, 2004.

1. HoneyBrown05

HoneyBrown05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    :ref: I need a serious time out but I don't know what to do. I am stressed ya'll, worrying about school, l go home to a unfriendly atmosphere, and then to top it off my relationship with that " special" someone who doesn't show affection is mentally driving me :insane: . I am not actually going insane but I am feeling down and when I look in the mirror I see rings around my eyes. My dads says that I am tired but I don't have a reason to be! I don't know if I am physically tired or mentally.
    I was wondering if you all can inform me :teach: on how serious stress can get and what I should do about it.

2. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's hard to tell from your post what's really goin on, HB. You could be depressed. Or you could be having stress and/or anxiety disorder. If you didn't want to go to a doctor about this, you could look up one of those online tests and see if you qualify as depressed and/or stressed. If so, there are treatments for both of those things.

3. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    The mind controls the body

I have believed for years that stress is the number one killer of Black people, because it is an invisible and sometimes an undocumented killer and destroyer.

I said this to shake you up enough, so that will not take your condition lightly and will keep conversing with those who care, about how you feel and what you think.

You need to understand that you are probably Okay, but it’s the way you are looking at the world around you. You are internalizing what you see and experiencing, and trying to manage some things that you cannot control.

If you don’t know or understand something, you must realize that it’s okay not to know and understand everything, all the time (the sages of old, believed this).

You need to digest as much positive reading material as possible and do something to reenergize your body, as well as mind and spirit (good and uplifting music, Yoga, massage, exercise i.e., walk, jog, stroll). The mind will fuel itself on what you put into it, in other words “junk in, junk out”.

If you are not at a critical state of depression, please do not medicate yourself. Unfortunately, this is all some doctors know. If you are too busy, slow down. If you are too complacent, move forward.

Some of your problems are just a part, of a normal life and many of us have been there, and those of us who are still “rockin’ and rollin’” know that it’s only temporary.

Believe me you are stronger than what you think or know. You will shake this soon.

Peace and much Love,

Brother Sun Ship

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    How unhealthy can stress be? Simply look at the large percentage of high blood pressure in the African American community! Some contribute high blood pressure to diet & genetics, but a strong contributing factor is extreme stress. The genetics of high blood pressure I reject, because Africans (in Africa) do not have large rates of high blood pressure. The American lifestyle is a stressful one, and it is even more so for African Americans (as we are #1 on ever negative statistic which exist in this country). Factor in racism, glass ceilings, police brutality/harrassment, the breakdown of the African American family, low incomes...and it is no wonder we are so stressed out! :mad:

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i was diagnosed w/hight blood pressure when i was 21 yrs old. now some of that was probably due to my smoking cigarettes. which i have since quit.. but i get stressed out often . also marijuana with draw is a syndrome that leaves u in a hightened stress state. how much of high blood pressure is do to our love of alchohol, cigs, and weed? not to mention fast food , & salt.combined with living in the u.s. thats a deadly combo...

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    That would be an understatement Therious!

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    i think i have discovered the root of your problem.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    stress is very unhealthy and can lead to danger !