Black History Culture : How to tell what specific part of Africa someone is from?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Alaric, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Alaric

Alaric Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm sure this has been brought up before but I'm a white man who's heavily interested in the ancient history of the Celts, Germans and Slavs, back when we were a "barbarian" people and worshiped Heathen gods. To me it is a great source of spiritual power and interest, it makes me feel proud of my ancient ancestors when my more recent ones have been pretty horrible and dishonest (I feel modern whites have earned the title of barbarians more than the ancients did)
    My closest friend is black and we've talked alot about history and ancestry over time. One thing that he's unhappy about and I'm sure all black people are is that he doesn't know exactly what part of Africa he comes from; the records were either destroyed or not even recorded in the first place. One thing that is nice about being white is knowing where your ancestors came from; I feel sadness that many black people know nothing of their distant ancestors other than they were African. I was wondering if there is any way to tell exactly what tribe or ethnic group a black person comes from without a DNA test. I want to help my friend learn about his ancestors, not out of white guilt, but just because I feel that all people should know where they come from and be proud of it.

2. asmith161718

asmith161718 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +158
    Despite some celebrities finding their ancestors on TV currently the science is not specific enough to find out exactly tribe in Africa your friend comes from. If your friend was born in the same country as you it's very possible some of his ancestors are Nordic also.

THE BLA-MAORS – THE BLACK VIKINGS AND THE BLACK DANES – COMPILED BY INVASION2012
    http://www.africaresource.com/rasta...and-the-black-danes-compiled-by-invasion2012/
    A Description of the Black Vikings of Europe By Renowned European Writers – Compiled By- Invasion2012
    “blá-maðr, m. A BLACK MAN, NEGRO, i.e. AN ETHIOPIAN, Al. 51, Orkn. 364 (referring to A.D. 1152), distinguished from the Saracens and Arabians; three ‘blámenn’ were sent as a present to the German emperor Frederic the Second, Fms. x. 3: in romances blámenn are mentioned as A KIND OF ‘BERSERKERS,’” q.v., Finnb. ch. 16, Kjalnes. S. ch. 15; cp. Scott’s Ivanhoe, note B.See AN ICELANDIC-ENGLISH DICTIONARY by Richard Cleasby and Gudbrand Vigfusson(1874)

The Irish annalists were a lesson to all with their division of Norse invaders into White Foreigners, Norwegians(Finn-gaill), and Black Foreigners, Danes(Dubh-gaill), but it was a lesson no one heeded; nor do we know why they distinguished them by colour.”See A HISTORY OF THE VIKINGS by Gwyn Jones(1968)

“The Welsh chroniclers, for example, made no such clear distinction. The Danes coming in by way of England and the Norwegians by way of Ireland were pretty well all black: Black Gentiles(y Kenedloed Duon), Black Norsemen(y Normanyeit Duon), Black Host, Pagans, Devils and the like.”(CONT.)See A HISTORY OF THE VIKINGS by Gwyn Jones(1968)

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Alaric,

Help me understand why you would come to a predominantly Black Site and tell us you are White and your concern is with the history of Celts, Germans and Slavs?

And then you go on to say that in view of the ancestral records of Blacks being destroyed, the one nice thing about being White, is the ability to know where your ancestors came from.

So, you admit to know the difficulty Blacks have with tracing our ancestry, but you ask the ridiculous question is it possible that Blacks can find their ancestry without DNA testing ...

"... I was wondering if there is any way to tell exactly what tribe or ethnic group a black person comes from without a DNA test ..."

It goes without having to say your closest friend is Black, we get that as par for the course you are on; but this Site doesn't concentrate on the history of Celts, Germans and Slavs, it's focus primarily is about putting the Black pieces back together that were destroyed by the Celts, Germans and Slavs.

4. Alaric

Alaric Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm here to ask this one question and this question only. Are white people not allowed here? I'll go somewhere else if thats the case

Also, it would be a little unfair to say the Slavs contributed in destroying your history. The Germans and Celts sure did, but Slavs had nothing to do with the slave trade in the Atlantic.

5. Alaric

Alaric Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Also I think you misunderstand me, I was expressing my interest in my ancestors because I feel it is a universal human need to be in touch with our ancestors. I have no interest in more recent history of white men because frankly white men recently have been a dishonorable and savage bunch, as I've said before. I'm not trying to convert you to Germanism, I'm merely coming here as a quest and inquiring. I'm sorry if I have offended.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

The question you asked is rhetorical in that you already know the answer Alaric.

If that's true Alaric, why would your question contain a hand-cuff?

By your own statements, you are fully aware of the difficulty with which Black folk have in tracing their state-side ancestry, let alone going back to Africa. Yet you add to that challenge by taking away the one tool we have, DNA testing. This is nonsensical to me.

7. Alaric

Alaric Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm taking away your ability to use DNA testing? Okaaaaay

I was asking because my friend and I don't have any money and I've heard DNA tests are expensive but apparently I'm adding to your challenge?

This is nonsensical to me

I guess some black folk and some white folk will never understand each other

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Sorry to hear that Alaric, is there anything thing I can do?

9. Alaric

Alaric Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get me and my friend jobs? haha

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078