How To Survive Unemployment...

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Mike Ramey, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    HANDLING LEAN TIMES!

Brothers, let’s start off our time together this month with a quick illustration.

The leader of a mighty country receives a warning from a man of color with little in the way of reputation. The country is going to have seven years of hilarious prosperity, followed by seven years of unbearable economic reversal. Now, this leader had consulted all of his economic advisors, Wall Street wizards, and military experts. They did not have such insight.

This man did…and the leader took the steps to put this man’s plan into motion.

Who was this man of color who saved a mighty nation?

Joseph. You can read the entire story in the Book of Genesis.

Brothers, men of color have ALWAYS come through when America has hit hard times. Even in those instances where America did NOT want us to participate, nor expected us to have much in the way of talents, skills, and abilities to help this land through the lean times, men of color have TAKEN many a country back to a right road.

We have had the seven years of plenty. Those years--for some--were 1993 to 2000. If you were in the High Tech sector, or the corner office as a supervisor or manager, you could bring home a big paycheck. Now, we are facing the seven years of lean. Sure, books have been cooked, and companies have folded. However, we’re going to talk about how YOU can thrive in lean times.

BUT FIRST--TAKE A WALK WITH ME:

If you want to know the direction a country is heading, you study three things…its entertainment, its advertising and its classrooms.

So, let’s take a quick trip down these three paths.

*If you study the offerings of BET, MTV, and other entertainment fare, you quickly discover that the educated person is shunned. Teachers are regarded as stupid, and authority figures regarded as ‘standing in the way of a young person’s fun’. That is, unless they are ‘fronting’ for some PC cause like abortion, sexual promiscuity, and homosexuality. Then the authority figures are greeted as ‘heroes’ and ‘heroines’. If you ever wanted to see the case of inmates running the asylum, a Rap or Rock video is your one-way ticket to a paradise of ignorance!

*If you study the world of advertising, everyone is having a great time--except MEN! We are either portrayed as being stupid, sports-hungry, skirt-chasing, beer-or-liquor-drinking FOOLS. Sadly, MANY of the ads that we see on the small screen, or hear on the radio, are written by men who have only one thing on their mind--your wallet! They are hoping that you ‘buy’ into their ‘lies’, in order to keep the writers, directors, and ad execs employed.

*If you study the classroom, our young brothers, in a lot of cases, have made the conscious decision that an education does NOT matter. They are dropping out of, or being kicked out of schools by the busload. And, to make matters worse, many parents have been ‘lied’ to about their children being diagnosed as being ‘Learning Disabled’. A new study has found that LD, ADHD, and EH kids are worth big money to school corporations. About $400 to $1,000 per child, per school corporation, EACH year. Thus, some 30 percent of LD kids (according to the study) have been misdiagnosed. Parents don’t bother to get a ‘second’ opinion.

WHAT’S THIS GOT TO DO WITH ME?

The reason why I mentioned these three areas is simple. In lean times, you have to disregard the ‘noise’ from the first two areas, and FOCUS.
    F= Forget
    O= Outside
    C= Confusing
    U= Unnecessary
    S= Stuff

Employment experts have stated, in print or verbally, when times get tough one must CUT DOWN on their entertainment or advertising consumption. IF you happen to be unemployed--or underemployed--entertainment and advertising will ‘sap’ your desire to find a job.

In lean times, having A job is better than NOT having a job.

Now, let me throw this in. Whether you are a young man, or an older man, a man WITH an education has the tools to ‘ride out’ changing economic storms. Thus, brothers, some of us may have to make the trip back to the schoolhouse to secure the proper tools to be competitive. If you are a ‘drop out’, then you are going to have to be a ‘drop in’. Night school, a GED program, or finishing your college undergraduate/graduate degree is not a ‘luxury’ but a ‘necessity’. If you have noticed, many, many, many college and university classrooms are FULL and have waiting lists, as the wise are retooling their education skills to handle a shifting economic picture.

NEXT, A COURSE IN SIMPLE ECONOMICS:

If you have been laid off, downsized, terminated, or had your company fold, and are out looking for another job, you have to focus on two terms: luxury vs. necessity. Let me provide a few examples:

*Electricity is a necessity. DSS is a luxury.

*Paying cash is a necessity. Credit is a luxury.

*Transportation that works is a necessity. A Lexus is a luxury.

*Food is a necessity. Dining out is a luxury.

*Housing is a necessity. Living in a Penthouse is a luxury.

In lean times, if you have planned ahead, you will be working to kill off any outstanding debts. Your economic ship will sail better, and farther, by tossing debts and luxuries over the side. When the good times come back, the luxuries may come back--but not the debt!

BACKGROUND CHECKS EXPANDED:

After watching a few news stories and reading a few business publications, it is imperative to note that many companies are resurrecting tougher background checks on new--and current--employees. Sometimes, these checks are going back into your life as a teenager! If you have a checkered past as a teen, make sure that you have gone back to the proper juvenile authorities to make sure that your record has been expunged…or wiped off the books.

Here are a few other tips:

*If you are a Christian, and not just a ‘church visitor’, you have an added edge called ‘fasting and prayer’! Sometimes, you have to lose a job to get THE opportunity, that blessing the Lord has wanted you to pick up. Name it and Claim it does NOT work.
    Brother, you still have to fill out the applications and study your Word--and WAIT.

*Also for Christians--don’t neglect to pay your tithes and offerings! If you claim to trust God in the times of plenty, you have to STILL trust Him when the lean times hit! The command is still ten percent, off the top, of your GROSS income…NOT the net! This is for those who are disciplined, dedicated, and committed to the cause of Christ.

*Never lie on a job application! If you have had problems, make sure that you and the potential employer have talked about them well before your application has been accepted.

*Don't neglect your mental, emotional, physical, or relationship areas of your life. Take time to laugh, to build strong relationships with those around you, to help someone else who may be down. Many a job lead and employment opportunity have been won by those who have not forgotten these particular areas.

*While adult criminal records can’t be expunged, they can be ‘neutralized’ IF you have been living life on the right side of the street, crime free, since you had your taste of crime. There are more and more federal and state grants available to get ex-offenders into jobs. Check your local probation or parole office for more information.

*Network, network, NETWORK! Be honest about your employment search to those friends and acquaintances that can help you find/secure employment. Be warned though--you will have to return the favor IF someone helps you.

*Sharpen your interview skills, your resume, your telephone skills, and your work ethic, and your manners. Also, don’t forget to wear the right clothing to interviews. Wear, and speak, how you want at HOME. Don’t go to any job interview looking like you stepped off the set of a Rap video.

*Be prepared to MOVE. Brothers, sometimes the best opportunities are outside of our comfort zone. There is a difference between thinking the brook has dried up, and KNOWING it has dried up. It may be time to call the U Haul man, and move to greener pastures.

*Lastly, remember this--if your wife is working, and you are searching, be thankful for this fact. Envy is NOT needed when it is time to get back into the job game.

YOU WILL BE EMPLOYED AGAIN:

Take it from a brother who has been there on the unemployment line with you. You will be hired and working again!

Yes, you may have to do a ‘slide’ into a job that may be far from your professional goals. However, if you have the education in place, have the skills that an employer is looking for, have a clean background, and have a strong work ethic, your employability increases. If you have areas to clean up, then clean them up.

Some whine and cry about how ‘tough’ the times are. Some make excuses as to which administration or political party is at fault for the economic times that we face. Some others try to make it matter of high unemployment among us being a matter of racism. While some of the above may be true…it’s not going to help you land a new job.

I mentioned in my illustration at the very beginning of my column, that the leader had a wise counselor who walked him through the lean times that his nation would be facing. It’s the same for a household…wise counselors are worth listening to, and following their advice.

It’s not as if God--through the Bible--didn’t let us know that lean times would be coming. The same God that created the heavens and the earth is concerned about your employment status.

As one wise, older man once told me: “A setback is a setup for a comeback!”

The lean times are a test of your character, brothers. How you pass the test determines how far you will go--when the times of plenty return.

Beating your chest and posting nasty emails about what some administration is--or is not doing is not going to get you out of the state you are in.

Life happens.

Sometimes, the righteous come up short…but never for very long.

MIKE RAMEY is the author of THE MANHOOD LINE. A monthly, syndicated column written for men, from a biblical, business, and common sense perspective. Emails welcome to [email protected]. ©2003 Mike Ramey/Barnstorm Communications (10).

2. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Just my take

Brother I understand where you are coming from and I commend the effort to enlighten our brothers and sisters. Let me also say that I agree with almost everything you've written. However, I do disagree with you on a few points. I will discuss them in no certain order of importance for i feel they are equally as important.

I know what I have to say goes against all that most of us have been taught, but given the state of our race isn't it time that we take steps to break the cycle of insanity that we have been engaging for countless years?

Without getting too deeply into religious beliefs, I would like to point out that Tithing is no longer necessary for those that believe that Christ game, died, and rose again. With that ultimate sacrifice all of our burdens were and are taken on by the blood of Jesus. So with his resurection we were cleansed and no longer are required to give sacrifices of lambs or tithes. We are no commanded to give from the heart NOT OF NECESSITY.

What I would like to get into more is the education and employment parts of your column.

I agree that we need to instill the spirit of education in our youth and adults alike. However, it is imparitvie that we get the RIGHT kind of education. It is my belief that beyond the 6th grade that formal education fails us as a race and possibly as a society because the entire system is teaching us to get a JOB. As filler they throw in THEIR history and a few social lessens but main objective is to teach us to get good grades so we can ask the someone to let us work for them. And in the system's zeal to push to have us be productive members of society they destroy esteem for those who don't have a solid support system to emphasize the importance of getting 'good grades.' They are made to believe that if they don't have high school AND college educations that they dont have a chance to succeed in this society. That is not only false it harmful to think that way.

We need to learn how to be employers in order to claim power over our own destiny and responsiblity for our race. The formal educational system does not lead itself to cultivating responsible entrepreneurs. Before the depression 75 percent of the people in the U.S were small business owners. After the depression fear made people cling to big companies to have a sense of security. And we have been teaching our kids the same fear since. Well, not only is there no such security in today's work place, this false sense of security comes at the price of our freedom to grow. Like i said before, i agree that education is the key, but the real key is the type of education. We can get a kings education for showing our ID at a public library. We should use them and teach others to use them so they can particpate in their own education and not be pawns of subjective thought from a classroom. And once we become free to learn for ourselves, then we can think for ourselves, and ultimately work for ourselves. At that point resumes, background checks, and all of the other things they use weed us out will play no part in us surviving the lean times.

Anyone who wants to debate any of this may email me at [email protected]. Thanks

3. Mike Ramey

Ratings:
    +17
    That's YOUR Decision...A007

Now, that's your choice on Tithing, and I think that it's pretty sneaky to give your email address to 'debate' something. The issue has been talked about on other posts right here in Destee's place, and other folk have expressed the same opinions.

Bottom Line: Either you do it, or you don't. And, I do, and I don't debate something I am led by scriptures to do. And, I don't try to 'chide' people who don't Tithe. The scriptures are clear that some are not going to believe to do things a certain way, and that's cool with me. But, my blessings are BIGGER than yours! Not based upon anything but obedience to scripture.

Also, Adultery, Fornication, Pride, etc are OT Concepts...and are expounded upon in the NT. Is it a sin to commit adultery? YUP! OT or NT? BOTH!

If you choose not to Tithe, then you run the risk of the curse of God. Now, I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I do understand where God has cursed something, or some activity. Whether it is playing with Ouija Boards, or not Tithing.

By the way, I do Tithe...and give offerings...from a joyous heart. And, that's that.

On the matter of education and employment; one has to learn how to work, how to study, and how to earn good grades. The problem I have seen (and I am speaking as a Substitute Teacher and a College Instructor) is too many of our people WON'T apply what they have learned to empower themselves to become businessmen and businesswomen.

Read Destee's introduction to this site. It speaks volumes. Here is a woman who took her accumulated skills, talent, and abilities on the road. THIS SITE is the result.

Education is the start. Good grades lead to scholarships and degrees. Degrees, in many cases lead to jobs. Jobs plus connections lead to starting your own services and businesses.

Or, education leads to skills, which lead to employment, which leads to opening the doors on your own company.

For example: I used to work for a federal agency that shall go nameless. This agency, on an annual basis has FREE workshops to teach people HOW to avoid tax problems and start their own companies. Many workshops and information sessions and booklets and brochures go begging because some folk won't seek them out.

Or, on the matter of scholarships. Did you know that an average of 40 percent of college scholarships go begging each year, because WE don't search them out? We have the tech skills to go to on line chat rooms....but won't encourage our kids and parents to hunt down money to pay for college?

Let's check something else. A few of our kids 'claim' to want to be in the entertainment industry, but WON'T go to school! The average music video costs 250,000 and up to produce. Who is gonna give someone without at least a GED a chance to BLOW their coin? Not to mention that one must have mastered the basics in FORMAL education to understand basic contract, copyright, and how to count money in order to be in business?

The only reason why Public Education has 'failed' in America is twofold: One: folk don't want to invest in urban schools, and Two: We don't hear that often about the successes that there are in urban schools! You get out of school what you put into it. I know some 'educated' eggheads from private schools, church schools, and multicultural schools...who don't have common sense. Public education works when parents are involved...but that's another column for another day...

In the words of Tony Brown: "(A Black Man/Woman) must learn to master the King's English. This is for food, shelter, and clothing. When you are at home, you can speak any way you want. And, if more of us bought from one another, and used the economic resources we HAVE, the media would have to speak the way WE speak...instead of the other way around." (Ramey Paraphrase)

Mike Ramey

4. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    I apologize if it came across as sneaky to post my email address to debate. That was not my intention. I am more than comfortable debating in this format, but I'm sure there are others whom are not as comfortable. I only wanted to provide them a way to state their points of veiw without the scrutiny of all that are here to read.

On the subject of tithing, it was not my intent to disuade you from tithing or to say that I don't; only to make it know that it is not a REQUIREMENT as you stated previously. If it were then all of the other sacrifices for penence would be required of us such as sacrificing lambs and other animals on an alter. If it is not necessary to sacrifice animals, the same applies to all of the others including but not limited to tithing. If we were to live as in the old testiment, women would dress like muslim women, not eat pork or shellfish, do these ritualistic sacrifies, and many of the other ways they were forced to live in order to atone for their sins. It is not up to us anymore to atone for our sins because Jesus did it for us. We are commanded now to live as close to Jesus's life as we can. And I may be mistaken, but I don't think there is any scripture that has Jesus tithing.

On education, I agree that parents need to be involved and that we need to apply ourselves. However, there our countless successful people without so much as a 6 grade education. Did you know that 65 percent of college graduates work for someone that DOESN'T have a college education? I am not knocking formal education because it is a vialbe way to better onesself mentally and financially. And I believe for many it is the best way. My only contention is that it is not the only way. If college was the end all be all to our financial growth, then 93 percent of college graduates would not be dependant on social security when they retire. The formal education teaches VERY little on managing money. If it is the objective to get a job to make money why isn't there classes in junior high and high school that teach us how to keep it. The Answer...Because they are not trying to empower us only pacify us. So it is up to us to change our way of thinking and empower ourselves. That comes from take responsiblity for our own education which includes but should, by no means, be limited to formal education because it is not adequate and throwing more money at the system will do nothing but give us more expensive inadequate information.

5. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Oh... and by the way. The fact that you tithe and others don't does not make you any more blessed than they. Blessings are not dished out like candy or reward for us 'doing right'. Blessings are tenents of mercy and love GIVEN to us inspite of ourselves. There is nothing that we can do in deed to deserve them, for we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. The ONLY requirements for recieving God's mercy and love are belief and faith. Your deeds nor mine will put us any closer to God or entitle us to more or BIGGER blessings than any other true believer. It just means he is more pleased with our service and that we make it less probable that we incur his wrath.

6. Mike Ramey

Ratings:
    +17
    A sense of humor...I love it!

First, an eighth grade education 100 years ago was better than a high school diploma is today. However, the reality of the modern workplace is that twenty years ago what one could have done without a high school diploma, one needs AT LEAST a Bachelor's Degree to accomplish...or, at least some additional training beyond high school.

One cannot compete in the environment of employment if they don't have the education or the skills to compete. To maintain such an attitude in a competitive job environment effectively limits one's income, and one's chances for advancement.

To run a computer to post what you have posted, do you have only a 6th grade education? I doubt that very seriously. Yet, you are playing the 'game' that is in use today to discourage those who need added education to make the climb up the ladder of success...even in times of economic uncertainty; the piece of paper that proves one has 'mastered' the education requirements in order to make the economic climb. And, if I may be so bold, the quickest way to discourage your competitors is to tell them what they don't need to compete. Mind games go on in the world all the time. Some of us have been victimized by them.

Sure, you can point and say '...well such degrees, etc. is not needed'. Tell that to those who are running GED programs...which are packed across the country, and have waiting lists. Tell that to those who want to become doctors, lawyers, and TEACHERS! I don't know too many certified teachers who brag about 'only' having a sixth grade education. Not only would they not get a job; they would not even get in the door.

And, to press on a little more, one cannot progress without MORE in the way of training. One without the skills PAST high school can't take those 'training' and 'certification' courses needed to master various jobs.

Now, you've already admitted that you're 'sneaky', to come up in here, to get in on this topic. I can believe that. But, since you have misinterpreted what I said about blessings, let me attempt to clarify...as one who used to think your way about the issue.

1) First, you must have a firm, unwavering faith in Jesus Christ to understand the Word of God. The Tithe began prior to the creation of the law by some 400 years. If one does not have Christ, nor the Holy Spirit to understand scripture, then you are reading someone else's mail.

2) Second, according to NT scripture, if you are a member of a Bible believing, NT Church, and leadership, from the man in the pulpit on down, who has watch for your souls, decides to go in this direction, then you have two choices...either follow, or move to a church that believes the way you do. There is too much evicence in SUPPORT of tithing. One of the best forms of evidence rests in the fact that tithing churches are not 'begging' members for added funding, and are not trying to raise money by bake sales and the like.

3) Third, the scriptures state that one may test, by tithing, if the Lord would not open the windows of heaven and BLESS. I'm not talking about a test from a man; I am talking about testing the Lord, based upon HIS exam...and it is through the tithe.

4) Lastly, since Christ came to fulfill the law, he did not act against tithing, nor speak against it. He also encouraged, through scripture, the paying of taxes (oooooooooh), and a lot of other things, too numerous to mention.

So, to bring this comment to a firm conclusion, if one follows God's word, they will be blessed...and if one does not follow God's word they are cursed...and if one is not in God's family by God's plan, well...it'll be hot for them in the world to come.

You get to choose...and that's MY story, and I'm sticking to it!

Besides, I find it rather curious for a woman to advise men and women NOT to excell, nor utilize the modern tools available in America to excell. Education is NOT to be worshiped, but is a tool. And, if you don't have the right tools for the job, when the pink slips go out...or the applications are taken in...most of them doing the assigning have the background to hire those who have the skills called for in the various ads.

But there are many others, on other links, and in the other forums who have better words than I have. To compete in a 21st century economy, you have to have 21st century skills.

That means GED, or Diploma, or Degree.

Now, if one is content to exist in a 21st century economy, then don't bother with an education. Someone will be more than happy to put in the extra time needed in the classroom, to pass you on their way to the top.

Mike Ramey

7. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Mike that is EXACTLY MY POINT. I don't want to be the one competing for the job....I want(and am) the one does the hiring. My point is the formal education teaches us only to be slaves to people who employ. It wasn't until I was in college that I realized that except for a few chosen professions that college hinders us as a race as much as it helps. Of course doctors, lawyers, and teachers need college, but that's only because the powers that be made it a requirement to ensure that they could make money. See....college is a business...the are in the business of making money from tution and other fees...PERIOD. They could care less what happens to you after you leave...except they you teach you kids that they have to attend in order to be successful. But the fact is...more that 60 percent of Millionaires in this country do not have a college education. If financial gain is your arguement for attending, I can point out many more financially secure people without college degrees than you can with. And when I say 'financially secure' I mean they can live for a year without the aide of a paycheck. 90 percent of doctors live paycheck to paycheck and 80 percent of lawyers do the same. Yeah they have material things but these things own the people by keeping them a slave to bills. I am not disputing that we need education. I am disputing that it has to be a formal education that has a piece of paper attached to completion that tell the world wheather or not you would be a good employee. The fact is that a degree has no such insite.
    What I am saying is we need to work harder at being employers than being employees. My son is 7 and we are already planning his first business for this summer. If he has a successful business when he graduates from high school, should I then insist on him going to college? I think not. He will be employing college graduates!

I think you have misunderstood my stance on tithing. I am not against it, I simply stated that it is not a REQUIREMENT as you stated eariler. Of course we need to support our place of worship. However, neither 10 percent nor tithe should be used to try to compell people to give. The verse say 'WHOSOEVER BELEIVETH IN HIM SHALL NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE" not whosoever pays tithes, or does good deeds, or anything else. We should give. But it is according to what we have purposed in our on heart...out of love and kindness...not out of necessity.

8. Mike Ramey

Ratings:
    +17
    Yes, your son SHOULD go to COLLEGE!

...that's right, your son...when he is of age...is going to NEED to go to 'get that piece of paper' from either college, university, trade school, or another institution.

It's called 'proof'. Because, to qualify for any type of loan, permit, or license to do business, the requirements NOW, and in the future are going to be for BLACK FOLK to produce the 'proof' in the form of some kind of paper.

Look, I know that you ain't 'hatin' up in here. I know that you are stating a point of view, which is your right, and I will defend that right against all comers!

BUT, my sister, it has become a part of the American conscious, right or wrong, just or unjust, that BLACK FOLK HAVE TO BE TWICE AS GOOD--EVEN ON PAPER--AS WHITE FOLK. It is MANDATORY for OUR PEOPLE to have the educational equivalent and then some to qualify to do ANYTHING. EVEN to get a job in a wharehouse, a brother or sister HAS to have a RESUME to go with the application. And I DO know this, because I work with schools, community-based people and the like who DO have the pieces of paper. Some of them are PH.D's...or are working on them!

Thanks to the Bush Administration, the Justice Department is releasing MILLIONS in grants to states to run 'recidivism reinsertion' programs. Our state already has several of those grants, and more being applied for.

I work with troubled youth who HAVE the strikes against them, one main one is that they don't value an education, regardless of the type of school. In the prison system, the first programs that fill up are the GED and COLLEGE programs. Now that the programs are in place, they will need that piece of paper to overcome what they, in their youth, have done.

The Bottom Line--WE have to have the paper to compete. If that were NOT the case, then why are white folk--who DO control the economic mainstream, by the way--pushing THEIR kids to get the paper.

Yes, there are those cases where one doesn't need a degree. But those cases are few and far between. To get promoted on a job, to find a new job, or to open the doors on a company, one must be able to 'prove' that they have the 'chops'. That means the education hardware; whether it be a certificate, a degree, a diploma, or proof that you have had the needed workshops to qualify to teach, train, lend money, etc.

Some business owners may not have the paper...but all their bankers do! I'm not talking about the tellers...but the folk in the back room who OK and sign off on the business loans and grants to get a company off the ground.

One last thing...folk LOVE to prey on other folk who DON'T have the paper, or the education. One of the 'scams' that is happening in my part of the country right now is Rap Producers cornering teens who have NOT graduate, trying to talk them into 'tossing' their education to become the next '50 Cent'. And, some of our youth have been DUMB enough to follow along.

One may have the 'skills', but if they don't have the 'paper', they can't count the money...which is what the Producers are counting on.

You can be doggone skippy that the seven year old white kid, or asian kid, or hispanic kid's parents have already started the 'mantra': You ARE going to graduate, and you ARE going to college! THOSE are the kids who will be in competition against your kid. And, some of those kids already have investment portfolios and KNOW how the game is being played...because Momma and Daddy are teaching them what is needed to succeed!

You want your kid to be able to compete, effectively? Start the mantra NOW! Mine did for me! And I am Saved, Black, and Beautiful...and HAVE the paper, and am shooting for more.

Even to WRITE, one has to have some kind of paper to prove the journalism skills they possess. Every workshop, every seminar, every fair results in a skill obtained. BUT, to prove that you are in the game, YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE THE DIPLOMA OR DEGREE.

If YOU don't, the sledding gets rougher...especially if you want to open the doors of your own company.

Mike Ramey

:toast:

9. Mike Ramey

Ratings:
    +17
    Oh, by the way...

...I've helped, or have done, the 'hiring thing' as well. Part of policy where I have worked was x and x and x....meaning that the applicant had to meet the qualifications. So what if doctors, lawyers, etc. live paycheck to paycheck? They HAVE the 'formal paper', to prove that they ARE doctors, lawyer, etc.

A doctor, lawyer, teacher with the 'paper' can still walk into a bank and secure a business loan, a personal loan, or whatever they need...because they have the paper!

BTW, there are blue collar folk, and folk with no collar that are living paycheck to paycheck too...without the education. And I see them everyday. And they bemoan the fact that they 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' went to s-c-h-o-o-l and got the paper when they should have! Why do you think all these 'payday' stores are in business, charging 25% interest per hundred dollars? They are counting on the ignorance of much of their client base...some of their UNEDUCATED client base.

Hey, if they (doctors, lawyers, etc) are living 'paycheck to paycheck', maybe they should get saved and T-I-T-H-E! I know plenty who do--and some who don't. Funny, the ones that do always seem to have cash. The ones who don't...well...

Mike Ramey

10. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Mike--

First let me make this clear...I am a MAN..lol.

I have been stating points that you have neglected to address. I will touch on them breifly.

1. Over 60 percent of college graduates work for someone who
    does not have one. So would you rather be the employer or
    the employee? And which would you have your children be?

2. Education does not have to be formal. There are 15 and 16
    year olds who own internet companies from information they
    learned on their own.

3. Formal education fails to teach us the most important
    lessons in life. How to think for ourselves!! How to manage
    our money. How to help our culture prosper and how to deal
    with adversity through spirtuality and thought.

4. 93 percent of college graduates still retire dependant on
    family, friends, or social security. If the objective of college
    is for us to be financially secure....then why aren't we?