Black People : How to spark awareness on an everyday level

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by rosydarkness1942, Jun 27, 2012.

1. rosydarkness1942

rosydarkness1942 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    There's a community center that has stood empty for years in one of the most dangerous and poverty-stricken areas of Columbia SC. I would like to reopen it and begin to offer free courses on African American history, and some other things I have read from here that I know can be translated into community knowledge. I was thinking that some topics, such as knowing some of the law, exploring more career options, and just finding brother and sisterhood among this will cause a groundwell to occur. I am very excited, and I wanted to post this to get some advice on grants for reopening the center, things that can be studied and discussed, sponsorships, and the like. Keep in mind, I have a little collateral that I can put up towards the ownership of this building. I have made flyers to the neighborhood to see just how much interest I can get from this idea. It has been more than I could hope for. Lists of books would also be helpful.

2. noor100

noor100 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +566
    This is a wonderful opportunity..there are others on this forum like Brother Shikamaru [I'm sure] who could advise you on a number of things you mention.I can suggest a list of books.These are books I have read myself and have on hand.

1.Seventh Child-Malcolm X by Rodnell Collins[couisin of Malcolm]
    2.Pioneers in Protest -Lerone Bennett Jr.[bigraphies of abolitionists of the 1800's]
    3.Watch Me Fly-Myrlie Evers-Williams[wife of Medgar Evers]
    4.Lies My Teacher Told Me-James W.Loewen
    5.Death of Innocence[The Story of Emmett Till]-Mamie Till Mobley
    6.Frederick Douglass,Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass[written by himself]
    7.Will they ever trust us again[letters from the war zone]by Michael Moore
    8.Bury my heart at Wounded Knee[An Indian history of the American West

[These are a few I can think of right now...there are many good books out there]

3. rosydarkness1942

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks so much for responding. I am going to try and post the steps of mh vision and look forward to any and all opinions and help

4. rosydarkness1942

Ratings:
    +8
    I was also thinking of may leading a debate; i.e. reading one book, then finding a relating current event, finding likenesses and differences between the two and then developing plans to enact ideas or counter ideas from what we gather. I think that would be a good way to bring the collective responsible for our 'hood' into a more positive focus. I don't know. The more I think about it, the more ideas I come up with *excitement!!!*

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    First form a core harmonious group of people devoted to this renovation. From there you'd be ready.

6. rosydarkness1942

Ratings:
    +8
    I've circulated fliers at the neighborhood, and I've posted them at the next town's center because a lot of mother take their children there. I wanted to start meeting at the gym there, because it's got enough room and I already have permission. I'm just a little concerned about getting the building. The gym is a great place to start...but it's BFE...so a lot of the audience that I want to reach isn't going to be there...not unless I get Pastor Troy out there...*sign* But I am getting a lot more feedback than I thought I would!Do you have any more suggestions for activities as a start point?

7. rosydarkness1942

Ratings:
    +8
    Do you mean other activists? Or black philanthropists?Of both there aren't many unfortunately

8. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Other concerned adults.

Grab them off the streets; interview them; choose the best ones.

With that core group you can do anything.

As to activities; the only activities you need is consciousness building.

Just know what consciousness you want to instill, then your core group and you can strive to do it.

9. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    1. Critical thinking
    2. Money (from a logical and systemic mode and not from an emotional one).
    3. Money management (no one talks about this).
    4. Farming
    5. Basic computer skills
    6. Rules of engagement when encounter law enforcement

As far as history goes, I find these subjects interesting:

1. Free Negroes in US history
    2. Haitian Revolution
    3. Black Seminoles
    4. Major court cases in the 13 colonies and US concerning slavery
    5. King Taharqa
    6. Queen Nzingha

There are many more, but that is a decent start.

A book I would recommend is "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert T. Kiyosaki. As far as I'm concerned, that book is the Rosetta Stone of wealth.