Black People : How to Offer Help to Blind People

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Jun 8, 2012.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hi Fambly,

Many of you, especially those of you who live in the city, have prolly encountered someone who is blind or visually impaired. Someone you work with maybe or a neighbor. . I want to share with you an article, based on my own experience as a person with a severe visual impairment, that offers tips for when and how to assist such people.

http://rhondadjohnson.hubpages.com/hub/Offering-Help-to-People-who-have-a-Disability

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yeah, been there/done that.

But my experience is that a visually-impaired person will ask for help when really needed.

One day I was leaving the Buckhead station when a blind brother asked me to help him up to the street level. --So, I took him by the elbow and led him up the stairs.

And if I see an impaired person trying to do something or get somewhere, I will offer help....If they refuse it, I move on. No problem.

3. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    Good advice. I have learned, by making mistakes, that sometimes you can end up offending a blind person [particularly someone not completely blind but darn near] by offering help that is not asked for. It is difficult for me to not initiate help when I see a blind person crossing the street, but it does seem that most of them I have seen are usually crossing an intersection they have crossed many times and might actually get confused by you distracting them while they are concentrating on using their other senses.

I recall trying to help a brother who really did need my help, but he just did not trust what I was telling him. Specifically, I tried to guide him toward the bus stop for the bus he wanted to get on, but he did not trust my directions. So he walked over to the help window at the terminal and let the guy there tell him to go to the exact same spot I tried to tell him to go to. Bottom line, it is wrong to get offended when such things happen. Just think about how hard if would be for you to deal with the same problem and you'll sympathize even with someone who gets mad at you for trying to help.

4. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    thanks for sharing! i love helping people, whether they are impaired or not.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Thank you as we all learn how to deal with things and people , If i don't offer help i feel i've betrayed a person
    but i kinda know when to step in and when to sit back and watch to see if my helps needed before i act.........good stuff sis;

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,688
    Great article Sister! :toast:

I recently created an account on hubpages, and just started following you! :)

I've not posted anything over there yet, but it's my intention to do one day.

Like you said in your article, it's best to simply ask the person if they need help.

That's what i would do ... with no offense taken if they say no.

I'm still looking forward to a great debate with you ... when we find the time.

Love You! :kiss:

:heart:

Destee

7. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    You don't need to go to a blind person and remind him of his handicap without any good reason to do so. But you must be ready to help whenever he requests it. Blind people are quite capable of living independently.