Science and Technology : How to make downloads available for clients?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Therious, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Can anyone suggest a program or method for making mp3's, video, or text available for downloading to end clients?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    ok, "text" would seem to suggest that you are not asking about streaming stuff to clients; just someplace for clients to download stuff from. in that case, an ftp or http server might work out? (an ftp server might be less hassle than setting up ah http server.)

are you planning to host this stuff on server(s) that you control? or are the servers hosted by a provider? is the server to be windows or "*nix" (unix/bsd/linux) based?

the "*NIXes" have this sort of functionality built right in; one can easily configure an anonymous ftp server, which would leave the files open for everybody. or one can set up an ftp server that requires users to log in to retrieve files. a couple servers that come standard on *nix would be ftpd and tftpd.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i will be hosting on an outside server controlled by some one ele. im not sure if the server is nix or windows will find out. yes i already have files which can be streamed now im just wanting to have files mp3s ect available for down load. will check into yoiur sugestions thanks.

4. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    oh, well that's easy then; let them set it up for you! whether you are buying/leasing/renting/paying4 ftp or http hosting from them, they'll prolly give you all the tools you'll need to put your files on the hosted server.

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    werd good look. btw do you host? do you own a server your self?

6. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    nah. i've thought about it. which is why i am paying so much for my dsl line; unlike with most service providers, i can host services if i want to.

in fact, when my 486 finally died and i had to rebuild my firewall/gateway, i put three NICs in it. one to the dsl modem, one to my lan switch, and one other to be used to isolate an "internet host". i've thought about/explored running a mailing list, a mud, a website, a jabber/im host or some other type of "social space" but just don't have enough puter to run one on. well, my main box might; it's a celeron running at 600MHz - the others are all pentiums. but the pentiums would only allow me a graphical interface if i run w98 on them, so i wouldn't be able to get to the net. further, with only 384Kbits upload, anyone connecting to my "server(s)" would only get stuff at like 20K (or less); too slow to be useful for anything interactive - maybe a mailing list.

i would so love to build me a box that would allow me to host someplace private to do some serious "... building with our people" (most wonderful turn of phrase! i am so glad she put it back!!). it is doable, and it wouldn't "cost" much more than all the work to tie it all together. (that's the nice thing about unix/open source; all the tools to do all the things that can be done are available free! just figure out which pieces are needed and tie them together!)

but i need more puter than i have. it'll take a while; a bigger hard drive here, a motherboard there, more memory the month after ... eventually ...