Black People : How to get family together , other then funerals weddings and holidays???????

Ankhur

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
As a child in the 60s I remember regulaar family get togethers of the extended family practically one a month, were aunts would make great dinners and bake beautiful cakes, we would play monopoly, and crazy 8, and flip baseball cards, the men would argue the rught process for civil rights, and the women would chat together.
And we got to know each other and became close.

Now we only see each other at weddings and funerals, and rarely on holidays since most middle class native born African Americans have moved out of NYC.

But now that times are getting hectic, there is more a need for families to get together for more nation building purposes, because the basic unit of the African community here is the extended family.

But how?

How do we get our extended families to network?

That's a question many ask, I think to bring such extended family together under the
umbralla of networking is a road yet found we still have many divide issues as a people,
If there was a way to bring families together it would start in the inner communities
forming a united peace /bonding together our goals bringing us together in gatherings

We would have to figure out how to utalize our dollars in a savivor way
working on positive projects that will help families will help bring a network collectively
it would have to be a daily force for us to strive.

We would have to develope a trust worthy state of mind which is one of our biggest
holdbacks , we would need to focus on unity and overstanding our roles as a people
and what's and who is holding us back.

Families need to join hands as one complete circle where caring and sharing comes
to play, help uplift those who seem cast off , we would need to reach heights and
fight back mentally with knowledge and wisdom against our oppressor who deem us
and change the mindset of those who been mentally tarnish by these ways of thinking
we could network , again trust would be a major keystone .

some ways to bring families together is with fun outtings /social getherings / block parties /group thinking

Let me brainstorm more on the question at hand.

As a child in the 60s I remember regular family get togethers of the extended family practically one a month, were aunts would make great dinners and bake beautiful cakes, we would play monopoly, and crazy 8, and flip baseball cards, the men would argue the rught process for civil rights, and the women would chat together.
And we got to know each other and became close.

Now we only see each other at weddings and funerals, and rarely on holidays since most middle class native born African Americans have moved out of NYC.

But now that times are getting hectic, there is more a need for families to get together for more nation building purposes, because the basic unit of the African community here is the extended family.

But how?

How do we get our extended families to network?

Yes, I think we have for the most part become estranged. I too am from NYC and remember the strength in the family unit.

So how do we now rebuild and network ??

IMHO, I think we have to be creative and innovative. Alex Haley brought back family reunions. Most still have them but getting the families to participate is hard. My motto with that is This. " The more involved the better we are" . We have committees that go by the state. That seemed to work well. Most of my people are within 3 states. NYC , Chicago and home state is SC. So those in Chicago take care of one part of the re-union and so on. The goal is to keep them actively involved so that they WANT to participate in the 5 day activities. And reconnect.

Another means of division , I hate to say it is religion. So many families have split because of the different branches of faith. I've learned to be familiar with them, out of respect, not agreement. It's hospitable to greet and treat them with honor and respect even if our belief system is a little different. We have to value our differences and don't expect to be alike. iI they feel at home they will then come home more often. ( Home certainly is where the heart is . )

Communication and comprehension is vital. Not agreement again. It does't matter if Aunt Mary has personal issues with men. They are her issues and when she wants help she will ask. Accept her and love her for who she is . For some reason we invite ourselves in , where its simply not welcome. Unless its something that may endanger others. Let go and let God, And offer the shoulder. That's all. We seem to have become really more judgemental with our own.

Loving family does not give us the right to interfere. Extended family is vital. More so as we get more older. Strong families make strong communities.

Last but not least highly respect our elders and give our youths room for correction.

We can't network unless we love, trust, respect and value each other. Open up the lines of communication. Because with extended family you get back exactly what you give.

I hope I contributed something that's worthy. ** smile**

Yes, I think we have for the most part become estranged. I too am from NYC and remember the strength in the family unit.

So how do we now rebuild and network ??

IMHO, I think we have to be creative and innovative. Alex Haley brought back family reunions. Most still have them but getting the families to participate is hard. My motto with that is This. " The more involved the better we are" . We have committees that go by the state. That seemed to work well. Most of my people are within 3 states. NYC , Chicago and home state is SC. So those in Chicago take care of one part of the re-union and so on. The goal is to keep them actively involved so that they WANT to participate in the 5 day activities. And reconnect.

Another means of division , I hate to say it is religion. So many families have split because of the different branches of faith. I've learned to be familiar with them, out of respect, not agreement. It's hospitable to greet and treat them with honor and respect even if our belief system is a little different. We have to value our differences and don't expect to be alike. iI they feel at home they will then come home more often. ( Home certainly is where the heart is . )

Communication and comprehension is vital. Not agreement again. It does't matter if Aunt Mary has personal issues with men. They are her issues and when she wants help she will ask. Accept her and love her for who she is . For some reason we invite ourselves in , where its simply not welcome. Unless its something that may endanger others. Let go and let God, And offer the shoulder. That's all. We seem to have become really more judgemental with our own.

Loving family does not give us the right to interfere. Extended family is vital. More so as we get more older. Strong families make strong communities.

Last but not least highly respect our elders and give our youths room for correction.

We can't network unless we love, trust, respect and value each other. Open up the lines of communication. Because with extended family you get back exactly what you give.

I hope I contributed something that's worthy. ** smile**

What you say about religion is true, however when touchy things like haveing liqour, meat or pork, are not on the table and the conversation is focused on collective youth development, and making sure the elders have a comfortable life, the barriers start to fall, by virtue of common love.

And what you contributed is more then worthy, it is n the road to actualy creating a national paradigm.

Asante' sana

That's a question many ask, I think to bring such extended family together under the
umbralla of networking is a road yet found we still have many divide issues as a people,
If there was a way to bring families together it would start in the inner communities
forming a united peace /bonding together our goals bringing us together in gatherings

We would have to figure out how to utalize our dollars in a savivor way
working on positive projects that will help families will help bring a network collectively
it would have to be a daily force for us to strive.

We would have to develope a trust worthy state of mind which is one of our biggest
holdbacks , we would need to focus on unity and overstanding our roles as a people
and what's and who is holding us back.

Families need to join hands as one complete circle where caring and sharing comes
to play, help uplift those who seem cast off , we would need to reach heights and
fight back mentally with knowledge and wisdom against our oppressor who deem us
and change the mindset of those who been mentally tarnish by these ways of thinking
we could network , again trust would be a major keystone .

some ways to bring families together is with fun outtings /social getherings / block parties /group thinking

Let me brainstorm more on the question at hand.
Please do Brainstorm this and hit back in because this is important, and when we establish family unison, it will be easier to establish massive boycotts of holiday shopping, to let the oligarchy know our outrage and dis-satisfaction, at a time when they desperately need every dollar and penny Black folks spend, during a sluggish economy, and weak dollar

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back