Science and Technology : How to DELETE (not deactivate) Facebook.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MsInterpret, Jan 11, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    How to Really Delete Your Facebook Account

Deep in the bowels of the Facebook help center, you can find the URL to permanently delete your Facebook account.
    Before I show you the link however please read the following carefully:
    Deleting your Facebook will delete all of your account information and remove your ability to login to the service. Photos, friends, messages, status updates etc… According to Facebook, there is no way to restore your account and your data once it has been permanently deleted. With that in mind, please move forward reading all large and fine print.
    So let’s get started on permanently deleting your profile.
    Visit http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account, ClickSubmit
    [​IMG]
    You’ll be asked to confirm. Type in your password and solve the CAPTCHA. Click Okay to continue.
    [​IMG]
    All done, sort of…
    How to Make Sure Facebook Permanently Deletes your Account

Even after confirming the deletion of your account, Facebook will only deactivate it, leaving you 14 days to log back in and cancel the entire deletion. Sigh.
    [​IMG]
    I know what you’re thinking: “Really? Fourteen days to delete my data?”
    1. I completed the scavenger hunt and found the DELETE link.
    2. I saw the BIG RED TEXT warning me my account would be permanently deleted.
    3. I entered my password.
    4. I helped translate a book for GOOGLE by solving the Captcha puzzle.
    5. Lastly, I clicked the Okay button
    What part of delete my account don’t you understand Facebook? Perhaps you thought I was joking? Or drunk? But if that’s the case, why the five steps above? Yes Regis, that’s my final answer! Delete my account!
    Anyway, I think it’s pretty obvious by now Facebook doesn’t consider you a customer from a customer service point-of-view. Facebook is in the data business — more specifically, your data and it will go to great lengths to keep that data including your employment, school history, friends, network, photos, tagged face etc… which it managed to collect from you over the years in its social web. The 14 day grace period is Facebook’s last-ditch attempt to somehow lure you back into the service either accidentally or from some subconscious Facebook addiction in order to abort the account cancellation process.
    With this in mind, here’s a few tips to make sure you don’t “accidentally” log in to Facebook thus aborting your account nuke process.
    1. Clear your browser cache and delete all cookies – Firefox / Internet Explorer / Secure Wipe w/CCleaner
    2. Delete the Facebook Application on your iPhone (don’t worry, it’s free if you ever want to add it again…)
    3. Avoid clicking the Facebook Share button on any websites you read such as the button below (sorry, couldn’t resist <smile> )
    4. 5/5/2010 UPDATE: Reader UXP made a good point in his comment below reminding me that Facebook is also used by many people for single sign on for commenting on blogs or logging into websites (like digg.com for instance). Another example is Facebook chat clients like Pidgin or Adium. Use these services, post a comment on a blog using Facebook Connect or login to a site using your Facebook account during your 14 day waiting period and your FB account will be reactivated. Ouch… that one is gonna hurt if your only Creds on DIGG.com or other sites is your Facebook account…
    Source: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/security/permanently-delete-your-facebook-profile-account/

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Thank you!

3. mywordsfly

mywordsfly Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    I'm curious as to what is exactly occurring in this 14 days that they say it will take for my account to be permanently deleted. It can't possibly really take that long to delete an account.

4. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    They want to give you a chance to come back.

5. mywordsfly

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    I considered that. But as they have already mentioned they are saving all Facebooks I'm curious as to whether or not they are maybe saving a copy and simply deleting the one that is available for public view. Not that I am important either.

6. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I don't think they are. Facebook is a large corporation. You are not first on their agenda when it comes to deleting your FB profile. They don't want you too. They would rather you stay FOREVER, and they know some people may be unsure if they want to delete their facebook page.
    For example:
    I deleted mine...However, I am sometimes tempted to just go back because I do have family on their and fb games that I liked to play...and people I could possibly do business with for my future business venture I'm in the works with.
    So for me the temptation to come back is there and I got this whole 2 weeks to decide if that's what I want or not.
    Also, there's a lot of data on FB profiles...especially depending on how long you've been on FB and your activity. It's not like a Myspace page or Blackplanet page which doesn't store the enormous amount of data that FB does.
    If you are so concerned with them keeping your information, then don't delete your page...Just keep it open and let them keep your information.

7. mywordsfly

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    I tried to end it by saying I am not trying to imply importance. I was merely saying I'd be interested in the process because they are building that plant in UT to store information, and also the recent acquisition of Instagram and change of agreements regarding pictures on that site. I don't believe I do much to be watched by the government. Excuse me for implying otherwise; I simply had been hoping that because I can "deactivate" so easily, that deleting it would occur instantly.

Personally I see no reason for Facebook. While I see the use for business, I think there are better outlets. I think that it's far beyond what it was originally intended to be, and rereading my stuff before I deleted this morning showed me a lot that I had forgotten. I put a lot of information up there---had a lot of pictures of a lot of times and each one had a description. I had a lot of "friends" too. I haven't been on in more than a year, but it was eye opening to see just how much I divulged simply from the prompt of a button.

But yet again, excuse me. I was not asking for advice. I have no need for anything on there and hope that by following the link you generously provided that I indeed will delete my Facebook.

8. Dr YaYa

Dr YaYa Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had considered getting a facebook acct where you can add friends and things. Right now I have a facebook like page. Can someone please tell me the pros and cons of getting one? Thank you

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    For me, I find Facebook useful in keeping in touch with family, some of whom I have never met in person.

Secondly, reconnecting with old classmates and friends.

Third, I belong to a large number of groups.

My problem is I had four accounts that became difficult to manage. Too many email and FB notifications.

I deleted three and kept one. As far as the like pages are concerned, you don't need a separate account to create pages.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can i delete photo from view photos in thread in facebook

2. how to close my facebook account