Black People : How to Deal With People Who Strongly Disagree With You

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, May 18, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    How to Deal With People Who Strongly Disagree With You
    Edit

Steps

1. 1
      Stay true to yourself. That means don't ignore your antagonist, but neither cave at the first sign of opposition.
    2. 2
      Think critically about why you feel the way you do and explain the reasons to your antagonist.
    3. 3
      Make it easy for your antagonist to do the same.
    4. 4
      Mull over both of your reasons.
    5. 5
      If they still don't see your side and you still can't see theirs, then when the chat starts to go in circles or nowhere, you two might want to let it lie.
    6. 6
      Don't let yourself get angry with the person for not agreeing with you. Stay calm, take a deep breath, try to think of reasons you might not be right, and try to think of reasons why they might feel the way they do.
    7. 7

If you care to go above and beyond, keep your mind open to new knowledge and perspectives and see that your antagonist does as well.

SOURCE: http://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-People-Who-Strongly-Disagree-With-You

2. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Somewhere I read the term Philosophy came from the Latin term
    Philo and Sophia, or love for the Black Godess of Wisdom!

3. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Thats what I said, and Sophia is what?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_(wisdom) I said that cause in the past 600 years it has been the Black woman who has brought clarity to our habits of negro xenophobia, and male grandstanding, by leading movements and creating Black movements when we were too busy dawging one anther as men!

4. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    No disrespect to you but you still have not ansered the question from your understanding and in accordance to the above rues, what is your definition of Sophia, now I posted one from wikipedia what is yours?

5. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    So Sophia mean what?

6. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Not god..... Godess, and that is why the ref was made to the sisters timely post! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:14.25_Sophia_(Wisdom)_in_the_Celsus_Library_in_Ephesus.JPG

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    you have the skill of taking EVERY single thread you enter way off it's OP

8. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Well actually they just demonstrated a disagreement and showed how they would handle it...so technically it was not taken off topic.

9. EnlightenMePlease

EnlightenMePlease Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +20
    1, 5, and 6 are the only ones I can agree with. Depending on the context of the situation, it's never that serious to want to go above and beyond to explain your side. If both of the people who disagree with each other can't see eye to eye and can't understand the others position, it's time to move on.

Some things people will never agree on. Maybe they do understand your side, but still don't agree with it.

I use to frequent this very controversial Black site and one of the threads were "Would you let your daughter wear her hair like this?" It was a little Black girl, with long, Black, curly hair and I thought she looked nice. A lot of people were saying she looks too grown with the hairstyle and the poses she was in made her look grown too, but all I saw was a little girl, didn't even think about the poses, and her curly, long hair. That's it.

Some people said it was a weave, some people said the hair looks too grown, some people said they were bothered by the poses she was in.

I asked a question that people just disagreed with and did not bother to take the time to explain to me why they felt the way they did.

The thing is that everyone sees things differently, no one has to go out of their way to explain how they feel, and we'll just disagree. I can respect that only if I am intrigued enough to go find answers on my own.

10. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I'm all about number 5. I'm really not into the whole 'volley of words' thing with anyone. that...imo...is just ridiculous. for me, I mean.

case in point....

the mini situation occurring in the posts above? i mean...that was just an ordeal. lol. it was handled well.

im just not the sort who deals well with dialogue like that. patience isnt one of my virtues. I don't have a problem with folks not agreeing with me.

I just can't handle dense people... having to listen to their poorly reasoned arguments...having to be on the recving end of their pisspoor comprehension skills....
    '...but what do you mean?'

jesus christ...

I can tell you right now:

it definitely doesnt 3 pages of pointless reiteration for me to get good and flippant...