Black History : How Times Change...

• Thread starter Deleted member 65318
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 374
D

Deleted member 65318

Could you ever imagine a D1 school refusing to let a POC play ball? Believe it, it happened, but back in 1954. My father was one of half a dozen Blacks accepted to the Uni of Texas. A reporter interviewed him and in his excitement at being accepted because of academic achievement, he mentioned his desire to tryout for the football team. Guess what happened. They rescinded all Black applicants for two years. I knew about it my whole life because my father was bitter on this point. It all came to light in 2020 when a reporter was researching a book about Earl Campbell and went through once classified archives. More info @ Mother Jones "Memo by Secret Memo, the University of Texas Alive Into the 1960's" or Uni of Texas wiki

Stay strong brothers and sisters, keep pushing for yours because our skin always shows...

AIMM
A International Man of Mystery

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome To Destee Brother Deleted member 65318

You can post the link here within your thread to share it.
That's unfortunate, and Blessing to You, Father and Family.
In 1954 yes Segregation definitely existed.

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back