Black Spirituality Religion : how the woman broke her barrier...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by j'hiah, Apr 29, 2003.

1. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    the quick answer is faith.

taken from Matthew 15:21-28

(21)Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
    (22) A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying
    out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is
    suffering terribly from demon-possession."
    (23) Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him
    and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out
    after us."
    (24) He answered, "l was sent only to the lost sheep of lsrael."
    (25) The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me! "she
    said.
    (26) He replied, "lt is not right to take the children's bread and
    toss it to their dogs."
    (27) "Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs
    that fall from their masters' table."
    (28) Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your
    request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that
    very hour.

This event took place at a time where it was absolutely forbidden and "shameful" for a man and a woman to even be seen speaking together in public society. As it were in that day, to make standards worse, she was a Canaanite woman (from the country of then Canaan) of whom lsrael were told to refrain in marital, religious and social practices.
    However here is something interesting and noticeable about this woman's attitude all-around; she, at this "do or die" moment in her life "loss touch" with the strict "moral" laws of her day, one which forbade men and women to speak publicly at that time. She did not care how she may have been risking her life and her reputation as a woman. Her circumstance as we will see made her lose attention to "the norm"... the traditional, male-dominant egotistical society- her prison.
    She is a common, typical woman and mother (in an uncommon situation) who in her hard-pressing environment adapted to one controlling factor she'd come to know, one element of her surprise- faith; faith through her personal distresses, faith through the desperate and discriminating reality of her day and faith through bias religious, political and gender schisms and noise of her day. Faith was her only free journey of herself. She traveled freely yet sometimes insecure all while simply wanting her daughter to be well.
    But she had to put her insecurities away. Her daughter is the highest risk she is willing to take. lt's worth it. This is her flesh and blood and her reason for breathing. This is her object for living. Everyone has "that object" worth seeking God for. Life and death are at stake and she knows it.
    She is like the woman with the issue of blood; her issue was domestic vs. political, faith vs. legality, she vs. them mother vs. the odds period....
    What a journey to take, knowing that perhaps she was going to endure being that "insignificant woman".... that "lawbreaker" or that "hopeless being". lndeed this was true as in (23) when the disciples noticed her approach and defying presence. Knowing the law and aware of moral regulations they said "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us", mindless of her personal pursuit and dire reason behind it due to the darkening clouds pride & society gave to them for view.
    But she was determined. Determined is fueled by rejection.
    She must have tried public and social services, perhaps she had placed confidence or no confidence at all in family and friends bb/c of the impact of her situation. Either way, she felt rejected.
    But through this thick, dense and dark tunnel of rejection, she saw a light, a light that can brighten her circumstance. She had heard of him and how he had done other things.
    Knowing him and what he could do, the mixture of pain and confidence, tiredness and will leaped a desperate plea from her lungs saying "Lord have mercy on me! my daughter is suffering from demon-possession.."
    How she must have felt when the man of whom she heard could cast out demons and heal the sick remained silent (23).
    ln that split second she must have been confounded in comparison to all of the amazing stories she'd heard about this man. "Why is he not answering me", she must have thought.
    But he did answer, but this answer was not what she expected.
    and then Jesus answered (24) "l was sent only to the lost sheep of lsrael." wow. What a let down. Even Jesus is "in a bubble" it seems. She knew she could not burst it with anything the world had to offer, so she offered her womanness, her aching heart, her dire need by which revelation would come to her and to man and to the whole world. Faith is her last resort and Jesus is her source.
    She came closer and knelt before him (25)."Lord, help me!". she said. She knew he could. She was more like saying "well you're sent to me today!!" He was. He knew he was all along. Jesus, foreknew her heart. He knew that this woman's work, her drive with the force of strong winds and her cry as loud as the seven seas combined. He foreknew the result. lt was a test. lt was a revelation. lt was the beginning of a conceptual revolution.
    However, in (26) here's the nail in this woman's coffin .."lt is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs" Jesus said.
    lt sounds demeaning. Jesus sounds down right disrespectful. He should not have said that it seems. But Jesus did something crazy (in a good way) here in what he said. Look deep and deeper. He understood the general perception of the people of lsrael was to think of others as "dogs"(not all thought this way).
    He understood their popular opinion concerning those who were foreign to them... they had no "coming Messiah", they thought.
    He, being a Jew assumed that rigid role... that bias tradition... that narrow legacy (knowing that he was beginning a perceptive revolution through this woman).
    To win a war, you must go and battle in the enemy's territory, know and face his strongholds and methodize towards the conquer and in this dialogue/event Jesus and the Canaanite woman found the intimate tool (faith) and spiritual sword of faith to cut the harnessess of the negative belief. Yes, she would know the answer to life hidden from all the world from experience. Yes, she would know what Abraham, Moses, Jacob, David, etc... knew all along and what even the non-jewish people would discover- faith. (She is exactly like the woman with the issue of blood).
    ln (27) she did something unlawful but not unlikely of a woman of her day and in her circumstance. She broke in and stole the secret code.. She never knew the number until now. She twisted "the knob" this way and that way all of her life, yet none would open her desire. But this time she knew the arrangement of the numbers and realized that faith was never in that number, for it was God's number and not man.
    She replied "Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." She took her outside society, the popular belief and the odds against her and responded with wisdom of a heart in need... a depletive soul of woman who knew that she could be filled with peace again... with love and joy, assurance again. No, she did not call herself a dog, neither did Jesus. She was taking the reducive stereotypes of her day and disproving them...discrediting them as Jesus would confirm in(28) by answering "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed that very hour.
    The way she felt must have been unexplainable. She could sleep now; maybe not from so much energy and excitement she had received throughout the day.
    She was tired, but she did not quit. She knew there was a way, although she must have wanted to give up. lt was faith. Faith that only Jesus could manifest to be the reality this woman knew all along. She became an "rebel" toward her prison.
    Jesus knew that the only surviving element on her table was not science, not medicine, but faith. She had tried those but they did not work. She believed in those (as the woman with the issue of blood) but it did not work. She resorted to people and things of some physical sort since it was convenient for her, but it did not give her the breakthrough she needed. She also revolutionized the idea of Jesus' egotistical disciples also. Now they could see that the man who they were following was not limited by his social and ideal set-ups. They could now see that their idea did not dictate his actions, nor was he trying to fit their standards or their mental massive structure society built for them.
    Jesus "killed to birds with one stone" so to speak. He gave the woman assurance and he gave his disciples "a new look at things. The disciples must have thought " Wow, now this is different, risky, but worth it." They, the disciples and their concepts had suddenly been molded into universal ideas. Their horizons had broadened past the dusk ego and pride. They knew that faith was universal. lt took a Canaanite woman, the less likely candidate for their revelation, to bring the scope of acceptance and inclusiveness to their attention and to their life, but she did it and Christ was her only way of doing it. lt made them (disciples) realize just how universally accepting faith really is to all who have it and use it for the sake of God.
    Faith proves to transcend all things. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." And this was a woman of substance. She was Faith. This was not a limited focus/lesson one should gather (not just of a woman's plight and her daughter being healed). This is one of the many incidents where faith shows itself fruitful. Faith is given to us who believe as an extreme reality here and after, an extension of what we believe through our circumstance and wisdom to know. lt is real, revolutionary and worth risking everything for, for by faith, God is pleased and through Christ He is known.

cdlm...nfinite 1910jh

2. CrunchyStuff

CrunchyStuff Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    J'hiah,

Great teaching.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    beautiful how u teach da mind this knowledge

4. j'hiah

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    thanx.

this helps a man as myself just as l hope it does for you.

5. Matchbook Lady

Matchbook Lady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Peace,

Interesting post...however, I disagree with the title of it....if you are going to say that this is "when" or an example of "when" woman broke her barried, I must respectfully disagree with you and suggest you go back to the Bible and read, brother....

IF there is any woman who is to exemplify strength, courage, bravery, integrity, steadfastness in belief and an iron will within the Judaic society of the time it would be Mary, the mother of Jesus (pbuh)....think about it..this woman you spoke of did have courage...I am not taking anything from her story..ALL mothers have courage....yet, Mary was pregnant BEFORE being married...and she claimed it was a child from God...imagine that.....walking in a patriarchal society where a woman can be stoned for even looking like she may not be chaste...imagine this "14-year old" woman, Mary, walking the streets, PREGNANT...and her not married...and no one knowing who the father is....if THAT aint breaking the barrier, I really don't know what is.......

Also, the Bible is full of stories of the historical women within Judaism and Christianity who have overcome MANY obstacles and barriers and done so beautifully...this woman's story is beautiful, but I contend Mary's is more poignant, as well as it having come first, is more better addressed as "How the woman broke her barrier"

my two cents, as a religious woman.....

Peace

P.S. Did you know that Islam teaches that Mary, the mother of Jesus (pbuh) is the greatest of all women to EVER walk the face of the Earth??

6. j'hiah

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    MatchBook Lady,
    this was only one account of the so many people l chose to give focus who has contributed to our growth of faith. l'm not saying she is THE woman who broke the barrier, she is A woman who broke a barrier.

l hope, most of all that you yourself have gotten an edification from this, for this was the very purpose.

nfinite.....

7. Matchbook Lady

Matchbook Lady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
  8. j'hiah

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    :wink:

every subject is not made for debate...

9. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    God is known through all the religions of the world, Jehiah. More correctly you should have said:

"Faith is real, revolutionary, and worth risking everything for...for by faith God is pleased, and for the Christian, through Christ He is known..."

10. j'hiah

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    "God is known through all religions of the world, Jehiah..."

l beg to differ. God is sought (not known) through all religions of the world. Jesus is the only way of knowing the One True God; that is, His mind, His heart, His will.