How the MEDIA effects black children

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by Coach707, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I have to get opinions on this topic. My theory on the media and children might be a little abnormal. I think that everything from the diagnosing of Attention deficient disorder, (ADD) to the distorted tunnel visions of hoop dreams and rap superstardom are based on the "illusional brainwashing" of our youth. The average black child watches between 20 and 35 hours of television per week! And we wonder why they are not focused in the classroom, and are out of touch with reality. (Well at least I wonder.)

Does anyone has any interesting facts on how the brain reacts to ultra violet and flourescent lights?

As we all know, companies use bright lights and mind stimulating images to sell products. The media also overloads our world with images of what they feel success should look like. Apparently (If you are black) you are only successful if you have diamonds in your mouth, chain and ears, and if you have the biggest rims that money can buy. These are the images that our black children are exposed to probably 80-90% of the time.

I also think that television has "some" part in the way our youth act toward elders. Violent music and programs do not help them understand that they are to show froms of respect. Do these images of agressive black folks make the think, "this is the way I should act?"

2. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

When I was a child, the TV only went on when the adults in my house allowed it to go on. Other than that, I couldn't watch it. The adults around me didn't allow me to watch things they considered inappropriate or harmful. Even when I did watch violence and sex on TV, it wasn't harmful to me because I knew it was fake and only on there to keep people watching. I don't remember whether somebody told me this directly, but somehow I got this message. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it.

As an adult now, I help to control the TV watching and its effects on the youth in my household. Just as important as controlling the amount is teaching them that TV is NOT real. It's just there to keep people watching so that big fat cats can make money from commercials. When this message is repeated enough, kids learn to laugh at the stupidity of those images.

I know that many Black children don't have parents to regulate their TV watching, but as a community I think we'd have more success if WE put more of the effort toward improving the parenting rather than changing the media. I think we'd have more success too. We can try to do both, but improving the parenting would have so many other long term benefits.

3. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree! Positive parenting is the key.