Black Women : How serious are you?

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Sisters, how serious are you when it comes to caring about African Americans and Black people throughout the world, particularly in Africa?

In this forum we spend a lot of time discussing relationships with our African American men, with each other and with ourselves. We show obvious signs of compassion for our people here in America, but do we also care about our brothers and sisters in Africa?

I want to direct you to a very interesting discussion taking place in the Panafricanism Forum about the notion of a "United States of Africa" being a good remedy to Africa's problems and possibly our own. The thread was started by our Brother Panafrica who has shed some interesting light on the subject. It is stimulating some great discussion.

I'm curious to know what your thoughts might be on the idea of African nations becoming united (similar to the United States of America) in order to be less dependent on European countries for its basic needs in order to survive. Do you think it's a good move for Africa to become politically/economically independent? I really want to know if my warrior sisters really care about what happens to Africa or is your compassion and interest only confined to issues related to African Americans only?

I encourage you to visit the Panafricanism forum to read the thread: http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21691 and tell us what you think and what contributions, if any, would you be willing to make to help such a concept become a reality? If we are to truly be a 'community', we would love--we need--to hear from you!

Peace.

How serious..
Very...and stay active in a monthly women of the diaspora group...our goal is sending clothes, books, some financial support.,and talking and sharing with each other. we know we have to work with each other and for each other and then we can move to the next level.
The concept of a united states of africa sounds very idealistic since the road to achieve such a concept is frought with many blocks...tribalism, "dash" to name just two. When Nigeria in the 70's had the potential for true economic independence and to forge the idea of support of fellow countries - and it didn;t happen -I think i let go of the idea of a united country for a long while.
Thank you for sending me to the pan-african thread. Twas an interesting and informative read. But the sense of specifics (which would have to be approved by african leaders) do not seem to exist. We as a people (African , the Americas, etc) besides our spiritual root..must genuinely relate to an organized path to get to that ideal..(And it is a good Ideal!!!)

Thank you deepy for responding to this thread. I guess none of our other sisters care much about this topic as it hasn't generated interest. I'm not sure how to interpret that. I hope it doesn't mean that they don't care about Africa's independence and revitalization. There's much to be done before we can get where we want to be. Maybe sisters think that before we can help Africa, we have to be in a position to help ourselves first. If that's the case, then I'd like to read about that too. This is a call for some supportive and enlightening dialogue from sisters who know how to solve problems and how to provide much needed assistance in building healthy families and a strong community. :help:

Peace :spinstar:

some things seem to never change

The Pan Africanism forum always seem to have been a slow moving forum, let alone what kind of interest is shown, in response to the individual threads within.

First of all, I think Black people still shy away from titles and subjects like that. Many of us, believe it or not, are still in some sort of “pubescent stage” of consciousness. There are many who see the term Pan “Africa” and immediately translate it into something negative or the mythological black separatist theory of hate i.e., “Hate white people”, even if that translation is only on a subconscious level.

Now why conscious sisters didn’t respond to the thread, “The United States of Africa” (??) :confused: ??????

:confused: ____h-mmm-mm… __ :confused:

…I’m going to quit while I’m ahead. :lol:

Hello Sister Queenie, Sister Deepy, and Brother Sun Ship ...

I have read that thread all along, had ideas i wanted to share in it, and old ideas that came to mind, in regard to things we can do here, to educate our people regarding Africa.

I must admit that i am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Africa. Reading you Sister Queenie, Brother Sun Ship, and all the others that have contributed very eloquent, educated, and informative posts to that thread, can be a bit intimidating, when it comes to adding my own thoughts. I mean, if a Sister can be totally honest, i've been reluctant to add my thoughts, because i'm concerned that they won't match up to the high-caliber contributions already made, perhaps even lessening the value by their mere presence.

I think, if i feel this way, there may be others that feel the same. This could be said about any area of our community. We have very talented poets "upstairs," that on first observation, may make a novice poet slow to share their work. We have Members that have studied a number of religions and can quote many sources, making one feel that their "little" comments aren't worth being mentioned.

Fortunately for us, we have a very inviting and open home here, where if one spends a little time, they soon learn that all comments are welcome, respected and appreciated. Not all of us are at the same place, with the same understanding and ability to articulate ourselves ... but with Family Members like all those who have contributed in that thread ... we will learn how to do this, based on the beautiful examples you all are providing.

Please ... don't let our inactivity be an indication that we are not interested or serious in our hope for the very best, for all of us. I learn with every post you make, even if i don't respond to them all. Thank you for teaching me.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee