Black People : how old am i, really?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ladylibra, Jul 19, 2005.

1. ladylibra

ladylibra Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    okay,

i know yall are gonna think this is a bit koo-koo but if i don't ask then i won't get answers. so, here goes-

our mothers carries us in her womb for (typically) 9 months, right?
    (that's 9 months NOT 12 months.)

so, why do we celebrate our birthday every 12 months instead of 9 months???
    i.e - my b-day is october 12....so why would'nt i celebrate my b-day on july 12???

what happens to the remaining 3 months? are we older than what we think we are?

:insane:
    yeah, i may be thinking a tad too much on this BUT i would really like some input. thanks in advance.

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't see where you're coming from, but it sounds like you figure we should celebrate our creation rather than our birth. Like, we're actually alive and "kicking" while inside our mother, but we weren't actually "birthed" yet. So, you can celebrate your birthday...without being born.

3. ladylibra

Ratings:
    +2
    @kente217mojo

but aren't we considered a human from the time of conception? at least that's what i thought...
    yes, we're far from being fully developed but a human none-the-less.

4. ladylibra

Ratings:
    +2
    @kente217mojo

do you have children?...pardon me if i am being too forward but the question is relevant to me for i have none and this question is relevant to helping me seek my answer.

aren't we human from the time of conception? why do we wait until the actual event of our mother's delivery of us?

5. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    hmmm.. lol

this sounds liek one of those questions u have after too much tv.. and too much caffene.. or too much to drink.. lol.. but.. the answer is.. your birthday.. is one day.. now are you older than u think.. no, because.. you are not fully developed at one month or 2 months.. just think.. its been said that a baby sees figures and shadows until3months old.. the last three months of the conception year.. is spent developing basic ablilities .. like seeing.. and turning their head in the right direction at sound.. grasping objects and such. so we count the year... becasue in that 1st year you are not fully developed until that year.. u know.. holdint that head up thats bigger than ur body, sitting up straight.. and what not. So at a year old.. you tyically have your motor skills.. and every year you get more and more, your abilities increase.. this sounds all contradicting but i hope u get what im sayin

6. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Because a lot of people do not actually know the date of conception. Some women are pregnant and they don't know what day they actually conceieved.

7. ladylibra

Ratings:
    +2
    @kente217mojo

you know, i thought about this...but the doctors do try and pinpoint the time of conception to figure out the due date, no?

8. ladylibra

Ratings:
    +2
    @PoeticManifesta

thanks for giving me a new perspective on this.

9. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I think all in all, it's more memorable to look at it from the time of birth, than "trying" to figure out when a woman conceived. It's just too much work, especially when the birthdate can not be mistaken. You know when the child is pushed out from your body. It's no mystery. I mean, one can celebrate the day they concieve, but that would take effort to find out what day that was....if it's even possible to pin point that day at all. Most people are not going to go through all that trouble. I think the experience reaches the climax when the baby is actually born and held in the mother's arms...so that's the day to celebrate because after that day, your life will be completely different.

10. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Like Kente said..

Birthdays are just easier to call than "Conception days".

Unless you have sex only one time and remember that day, and resume sexual activity only after you know you're pregnant it's hard to know exactly the time of conception.

Then again.

I suppose one could always start on their date of birth and count back 9 months to give a more accurate age of their existance.