Black People : How Much You Wanna Bet?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, May 16, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I bet you that in the year 2008 Bush will declare martial law in an effort to stay in office. And I bet King George will use the unrest he causes when he doesn't sign the voting rights Act as his excuse.

DISCLAIMER: If he gets impeached or assassinated before then all bets are off.

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I dunno, unless something catastrophic like another terrorist attack or a blatant theft of votes via electronic ballot machines the republicans should lose congress in November 2006.

The voting rights act would then get renewed before it expires in 2007.

3. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    You know, there has been murmurings to that effect in the media. I'm Republican-ish. But after Bush...I think he has messed it up for his party this entire century!

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Manufactured catastrophes. stolen votes. History 101.
    As long as it is an act that has to be renewed the message is loud and clear tha our citizenship in this country is anything but a given.

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
  6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    I wonder what the Black Congressional Caucus' position is on this issue andmy question is, if content of the VRA of 1965 is being called into question, are they arguing the fact that it should be EVERY citizen's right to vote without the aid of a voting rights act, with time limitations specified in the language? Should Black Americans be writing to their congresswo/men on this issue, regardless of their race/ethnicity? Is voting important to Black Americans, even to those who seldom if ever exercise the option?

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    I wonder what the Black Congressional Caucus' position is on this issue andmy question is, if content of the VRA of 1965 is being called into question, are they arguing the fact that it should be EVERY citizen's right to vote without the aid of a voting rights act, with time limitations specified in the language? Should Black Americans be writing to their congresswo/men on this issue, regardless of their race/ethnicity? Is voting important to Black Americans, even to those who seldom if ever exercise the option?

8. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    i think that there's an amendment in the constitution that says he can only serve two terms.

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That is only as good a safeguard as our government's respect for the constitution.

The consitution also gives congress not the president the power to declare war.

How many citizens have they sent to Guantanamo Bay without due process of law--another provision of the constitution.

Terrorism as a smoke screen has been much more effective at relieving us of our consitutional rights than communism ever was.

Wouldn't it be convenient if we responded to the loss of our voting rights with nationwide riots that will give Bush the opportuntiy to label us as terrorist (remember what they did to Japanese-Americans after pearl Harbor) thus justifying even more losses of our rights as citizens and human beings.

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Those are good questions sista Queenie.

In fact, I think it would be a loss of much more than merely our voting rights if we let this thing go without a peep. If we don't raise our voic it will send a tacit yet clear message to the nation that we don't care to participate in society. We will lose a lot of ground. Whites will feel free to see just how much further they can go. So this is important even for those who never actually vote.